• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in Bangladesh 2016

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Why o why? After many matches against sub-standard batsmen of spin he averages 35! And we are supposed to completely ignore that and hope he turns out a real wicket-taking threat in test matches where batsmen actually know how to play spin? The only way to justify his selection in the England team is to admit that England haven't got any test standard spin bowler, so any half-decent twirler is welcome.
No. If you look at first class average and judge a player, you don't know any thing about cricket. Use your eyes, don't follow stats blindly.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
For the record, Swann didn't have a great first class average either.
This is like saying Stuart Broad conceded 6 sixes in an over in a T20 match. Now, he's a successful test bowler. So let us give a chance to play test matches to anyone who concedes 6 sixes in an over in T20s.

91Jmay

International Coach
Why o why? After many matches against sub-standard batsmen of spin he averages 35! And we are supposed to completely ignore that and hope he turns out a real wicket-taking threat in test matches where batsmen actually know how to play spin? The only way to justify his selection in the England team is to admit that England haven't got any test standard spin bowler, so any half-decent twirler is welcome.
He also plays with a 4 pronged pace attack who regularly deck teams on their own in domestic cricket. Also the fact he can bat better than most number 9s in the history of the game, and contributed to the win here with his batting.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
No. If you look at first class average and judge a player, you don't know any thing about cricket. Use your eyes, don't follow stats blindly.
I have used eyes, and didn't find any great wicket-taking threat in Adil's bowling for test matches. But if I say 'just believe in my eyes and say Adil Rashid is a crap test bowler' you would laugh at me wouldn't you?

Bijed

International Regular
Given time, I can see Rashid ending up as a more than handy bowler to have around in the right conditions, however, since he's got a fair way to go to reach that point, I don't know if it would necessarily be a worthwhile investment due to the relative infrequency with which England play in such conditions.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I have used eyes, and didn't find any great wicket-taking threat in Adil's bowling for test matches. But if I say 'just believe in my eyes and say Adil Rashid is a crap test bowler' you would laugh at me wouldn't you?
No I wouldn't.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Conclusion of this epic make over:

a) he bowled at the nets so our batsmen thought its stuart broad bowling at them
b) **** bcb i'm british enough to get into english side

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Drop Kamrul and bring in Liton for the 2nd test imo

Shakib-Mehedi-Taijul-Shafiul is enough if the pitch is crumbling like this one

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Drop Kamrul and bring in Liton for the 2nd test imo

Shakib-Mehedi-Taijul-Shafiul is enough if the pitch is crumbling like this one
Liton is injured.

Shafiul might be somewhat effective in odis but I doubt his test credentials. Mirpur pitch is tricky as we have seen in odis except the first one where curator " magically" produced a somewhat good batting surface. Think they are going to produce a result pitch and the scores might be lower than this test. Fast bowlers will also have a role to play also. Think they should make a change to squad (if its allowed) and bring Mosaddek and Abu Hider as his swing might play a role. In mirpur, I'd have gone for-

1. Tamim
2. Kayes
3. Mominul
4. Mahmudullah
5. Mushfiq
6. Shakib
7. Shabbir
8. Mosaddek
9. Mehedi
10. Abu Hider
11. Taijul

This is a crazy line up but still

cnerd123

likes this
Liton is injured.

Shafiul might be somewhat effective in odis but I doubt his test credentials. Mirpur pitch is tricky as we have seen in odis except the first one where curator " magically" produced a somewhat good batting surface. Think they are going to produce a result pitch and the scores might be lower than this test. Fast bowlers will also have a role to play also. Think they should make a change to squad (if its allowed) and bring Mosaddek and Abu Hider as his swing might play a role. In mirpur, I'd have gone for-

1. Tamim
2. Kayes
3. Mominul
4. Mahmudullah
5. Mushfiq
6. Shakib
7. Shabbir
8. Mosaddek
9. Mehedi
10. Abu Hider
11. Taijul

This is a crazy line up but still
Yea I like this XI. Even Nasir in for Moses and Taskin in for Abu Hider makes sense. BD really just need a fast bowler to swing the new ball and reverse swing the old, and Taskin can do that just fine and can hide out at fine leg for the rest of the innings. Nasir bowls a bit of seam up too IIRC, but Moses is the better bat and has really nice offbreaks.

What I really hope for the next test tho is for BD to regroup and come out there and play with the same level of discipline, intensity and self belief that they did in this match. Too often have we seen them put up a stunning performance only to follow it up with a poor one. We now know they are capable of actually playing like a proper Test side. They just need to keep on doing it.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not sure why WPDavid calls Moeen a goldenarm, the fact is he bowls legitimate wicket-taking deliveries, particularty this match, it's the amount of bad balls he bowls that is the problem.

listento_me

U19 Captain
Lol at Bang, once again trying their best (and succeeding) in snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Some times as people, we have to learn to win. I feel Bangladesh have lost so often, they have no idea how to win.