• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in Bangladesh 2016

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Did you not notice Broads wickets last night, Stokes today, or how ****ing **** Rashid is?
Rashid was getting a nice rhythm going. He was replaced in that spell. Then, he was given a short spell. And Batty was bowling well. Did you not notice he provided the breakthrough when he was finally brought back?

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I wouldn't say it was a bad decision at all. You don't make a decision like that just on the pitch alone. You also take into consideration the situation. You have number 10 and 11, neither of whom are all that better than Chris Martin, and 40 odd runs to go. I would give it to my best bowler who happens to be Broad, with the full knowledge that he knows how to get number 10 and 11 out..which is exactly what he did.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I wouldn't say it was a bad decision at all. You don't make a decision like that just on the pitch alone. You also take into consideration the situation. You have number 10 and 11, neither of whom are all that better than Chris Martin, and 40 odd runs to go. I would give it to my best bowler who happens to be Broad, with the full knowledge that he knows how to get number 10 and 11 out..which is exactly what he did.
Stokes got the last 2 wickets.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Rashid was getting a nice rhythm going. He was replaced in that spell. Then, he was given a short spell. And Batty was bowling well. Did you not notice he provided the breakthrough when he was finally brought back?
he was bowling loopy, harmless rubbish.

the rashid experiment needs to come to an end.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I am talking about yesterday when the medium pavers weren't able to do much till Broad's spell. Today for me was fine. I guess a fair case can be made regarding the reversing as OS mentioned. However I am not sure the lower order batsmen would have lasted that long v Batty and Rashid in tandem yesterday. With 150 or so runs to get, and the pitch supporting turn, spinners should have been backed as far as I am concerned.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I am talking about yesterday when the medium pavers weren't able to do much till Broad's spell. Today for me was fine. I guess a fair case can be made regarding the reversing as OS mentioned. However I am not sure the lower order batsmen would have lasted that long v Batty and Rashid in tandem yesterday. With 150 or so runs to get, and the pitch supporting turn, spinners should have been backed as far as I am concerned.
They were backed and leaked runs at 3.5+ an over.

Are you doing your best to prove my lack of intelligence post?

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well, Batty came on for Rashid when he made that breakthrough. Rashid could have win it, he could have bowled 5 full-tosses in two overs, as he's wont to do. Rashod is not very good, didn't look very good, probably never will be any good, so advocating him bowling is rarely any good.

This entire argument is conjecture, and certainly no proof that Cook is a bad captain. In the end it's pretty easy to advocate something that didn't happen would have been better than stuff that did, bit like your silly KP troll.

Personally I reckon if Cook had just bowled himself we'd have won the game earlie/ prove me wrong.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

Bijed

International Regular
Well, Batty came on for Rashid when he made that breakthrough. Rashid could have win it, he could have bowled 5 full-tosses in two overs, as he's wont to do. Rashod is not very good, didn't look very good, probably never will be any good, so advocating him bowling is rarely any good.

This entire argument is conjecture, and certainly no proof that Cook is a bad captain. In the end it's pretty easy to advocate something that didn't happen would have been better than stuff that did, bit like your silly KP troll.

Personally I reckon if Cook had just bowled himself we'd have won the game earlie/ prove me wrong.
His test bowlings stats certainly back this up :ph34r:

In all seriousness, though, what Cook did this morning was exactly what I would have done (which probably reflects badly on him, tbh). Stokes in the first innings and Broad the previous evening had shown that they could get the tailenders out cheaply. Rashid did seem to be bowling better than he has done previously, but I wouldn't have felt comfortable with the still-fairly-likely idea of him sending down 2 or 3 full tosses or long hops with Sabbir still there. If we'd ended up with 10 & 11 at the crease together, I'd have turned to Rashid if Borad & Stokes couldn't get the last wicket and I'd have brought him on anyway if it got down to <4 to win.

Re Batty, I do think he should have been used more and though he leaked runs more than I would have liked, he impressed me overall. FWIW, Moeen did decently given his reputation of going missing in helpful conditions.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Some confusing of the fact that conditions favoured the spinners with the notion that this means that spinners will definitely be more effective than seamers.

Second statement is not necessarily true if your spinners are absolute garbage and your seamers are actually quite good, as is the case with England. It does say something as to the state of our spin cupboard that even on that absolute dustbowl the seamers were probably more effective, but there you go. AFAIC the biggest tactical mistake England made was picking three spinners in the first place, and then I think they probably over-bowled them.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Moeen's OK as a 3rd spinner with an occasionally golden arm.
Batty may improve. It would only be natural if he was nervous on his first match back after such a long absence, and I thought he got better throughout this game.

Jack Leach must be wondering wtf he had to do to be selected for this tour.

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Spinner more dangerous with the new ball and quicks with the old

Test cricket is so good