• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

the big bambino

International Captain
Not really seeing enough runs in the SA top order to allow them to play 5 bowlers. So they'll have to get their fill in overs out of Duminy.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Has he bollocks. He's dined out on the West Indies bowlers and been far less convincing when facing the better attacks. He's no more a proper all rounder then someone like Woakes (a far better batsman then Philander who would IMO look out of place at 7).
I'm not claiming that he has stunning numbers or is super consistent with the bat, but he's done more and better than Woakes. It's harsh to say he's been far less convincing when facing better attacks given he averages 50 against England, a respectable 35 against NZ and outscored most of the SA side when they toured. I recall him batting decently in Australia as well, though his numbers aren't great against them. It's also not fair to say he's dined on West Indies bowling when one of his tons against them came at 5-126 and another at 5-85.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I think Rossouw has that x-factor about him so although I haven't seen him in any XI's, he is in mine.

1 Elgar
2 Cook
3 Amla
4 Rossouw
5 du Plessis
6 Bavuma
7 de Kock
8 Philander
9 Steyn
10 Shamsi
11 Abbott

The number 11 spot was the hardest for me to pick. I want to see Rabada, Morkel's height at the WACA you'd think might be advantageous (although it will probably just mean every delivery will bounce over the stump and several plays and misses) but I've gone for Abbott to fulfil the Andre Nel type of role from a couple of tours back. Duminy would come into calculations if Shamsi was overlooked.

Last edited:

Marius

International Debutant
I think Rossouw has that x-factor about him so although I haven't seen him in any XI's, he is in mine.

1 Elgar
2 Cook
3 Amla
4 Rossouw
5 du Plessis
6 Bavuma
7 de Kock
8 Philander
9 Steyn
10 Shamsi
11 Abbott

The number 11 spot was the hardest for me to pick. I want to see Rabada, Morkel's height at the WACA you'd think might be advantageous (although it will probably just mean every delivery will bounce over the stump and several plays and misses) but I've gone for Abbott to fulfil the Andre Nel type of role from a couple of tours back. Duminy would come into calculations if Shamsi was overlooked.
That's not a bad XI, but it will never happen, not with the political considerations that have to be taken into account.

91Jmay

International Coach
Rabada cannot be dropped. Bloke is absolutely quality. Abbott is solid, but nowhere near the ability of KG. If you drop someone it is Vern before Rabada.

TheJediBrah

With quotas supposedly re-enforced or whatever it is, Rabada will probably never get dropped for the rest of his life, even if he isn't at his best

vcs

Rabada cannot be dropped. Bloke is absolutely quality. Abbott is solid, but nowhere near the ability of KG. If you drop someone it is Vern before Rabada.
Amazes me how underrated Philander is on CW, mostly based off one bad tour of Australia.

91Jmay

International Coach
Amazes me how underrated Philander is on CW, mostly based off one bad tour of Australia.
Philander is excellent but Rabada will be one of the best bowlers of this generation. Won't be as pitch dependent as Vern.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
With quotas supposedly re-enforced or whatever it is, Rabada will probably never get dropped for the rest of his life, even if he isn't at his best
It is the biggest concern regarding Rabada, he gets over played and worn out..... but he would still be better than most even not at his best.

Can never understand it myself, think it must be a tubby bias....

StephenZA

Philander is excellent but Rabada will be one of the best bowlers of this generation. Won't be as pitch dependent as Vern.
Philander is less pitch dependant than people imply... yes on a green seamer he is unplayable. And his lack of pace means he won`t take 5 for on slow flat surfaces once the ball softens. But regardless of the pitch, with new ball in hand he is always a threat because he is so very accurate and hits the seam so regularly. For the mid periods he is a good stock bowler keeping things tight.

Bahseph

International Debutant
Philander is less pitch dependant than people imply... yes on a green seamer he is unplayable. And his lack of pace means he won`t take 5 for on slow flat surfaces once the ball softens. But regardless of the pitch, with new ball in hand he is always a threat because he is so very accurate and hits the seam so regularly. For the mid periods he is a good stock bowler keeping things tight.
This is true. He isn't always a huge wicket taking threat when the pitch flattens out , but he is always in the game with the line he bowls. He played his part in the UAE ando Sri Lanka if I remember correctly.

StephenZA

Our undying love for Herath would suggest it's not that.
Yeah.. but Herath`s a spin bowler with an intrinsic coolness factor that overcomes his tubbyness.... Philander, unfortunately, is a medium pacer and does not have coolness factor .

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain
He should be a lock for the pink ball test if conditions are anything like they were last year. On an MCG type pitch with conditions like they tend to be in Australia nowadays short skiddy bowlers might as well not bother trying.

SeamUp

International Coach
Thought on our last New Zealand tour the wickets were roads at times and The Vern stood up with reverse at Seddon Park was it ?

vcs

Sure.. if you take out all his best performances to fit your theory.

Look, he's not going to be devastating and take 5-ers at a SR of 40 if it isn't a seaming SA pitch. But he's capable of turning in 2/60 off 20 overs type figures which is a perfectly adequate job in such conditions. Can't be arsed looking it up but I'm sure he's done that on several occasions.