• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

West Indies vs Pakistan in UAE 2016

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Lets focus on the positives first. What a test match for Darren Bravo. I'm glad to have the real Bravo back after a sustained period of mediocrity. Also Bishoo was back to his best which can only be good for us.

Ultimatey Pakistan deserved to win for their first innings dominance, but if we can take the positives and momentum from the last 2 days it could be a good series.

I can't help but think Holder needs to be removed as captain. He really is holding back our development through poor tactics. He got it so wrong in that final session. He is not a captain IMHO.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Bravo wag.

its kind of hard to tell from the scorecard and FOW. How close did they actually get? Do people think they ever became a ~40% chance of winning?

listento_me

U19 Captain
Bravo wag.

its kind of hard to tell from the scorecard and FOW. How close did they actually get? Do people think they ever became a ~40% chance of winning?
watching bits and pieces of it, I always felt the Windies were behind the curve. Their only really chance of winning was probably 30% when Bravo was around. They had a better chance to draw it, which would have been a victory for them.

It really was a very, very good test match, literally had everything: a record breaking innings, a record breaking bowling performance by bowlers on both sides, a great come back innings and a batting collapse. With Pak v Eng at Lords/Oval both be excellent tests, with the Windies come back against India to draw...this has been a year of very good, possibly great tests.

I just feel that the Windies gave it their best and still came up way short, I'm not sure if they can replicate that against a Pakistan side which is only going to get better.

Oh and what a catch by Shah today!

DriveClub

International Regular
I thought when they had 80 odd to win with 25 odd over left with bravo and holder at the crease they definitely had a chance. Had bravo got around 150 windies could've won

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
WI had no business getting this close after losing Samuels first ball and Blackwood shortly after.

Burner

International Regular
I guess it just goes to show that chasing anything is possible if you just dig in. At 4-116 you would have thought 'ah, no chance' but they still got about 50 runs close to the target. You have to take it ball by ball.

Burgey

There's a reason why there are so few big, successful fourth innings chases in tests. It's just really, really hard to do.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
For all the hate that Misbah gets for his 'defensive' and 'negative' captaincy, ultimately what made the difference between a defeat and a victory was the first innings difference between the sides .WI had their best day on the tour on Day 3 (which was later bettered by Day 4). They had a solid partnership between two of their best batsmen in the side, both got runs and they batted the entire day yet by the end of their day, they were only on 312, over 250 runs behind in the game thanks to Misbah's chokehold. He hates giving away runs and boundaries and that makes a difference to how much a team ends up with. Had WI finished Day 3 at 360/8 instead of 312/6, they could very well have won this game.

Day 4 and 5 were really exciting especially after everyone had written off this series citing no contest. If anything, it just shows that no matter what the gulf is between the sides, you slip up, this format can bite you in the bum very fast. Excellent knock from Bravo. There was a recent thread on CW about the best left handed batsmen today and the consensus was Bravo doesn't belong there. I am glad he has proved that wrong and shown what he is capable. Always felt he would get big runs this series after watching him get 50 odd in the ODIs. Just looked the most self assured of all the WI batsmen and looks so comfortable against Yasir. Pakistan will have to work out very fast how to get him out if they don't want to be hurt further by him.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Bravo wag.

I would say it was more than 40% when Bravo and Holder were batting together at one stage.

Last edited:

vcs

Pakistan are a very, very solid Test side these days and find ways to win in the UAE even without playing their best. A large part of that is down to their ability to consistently put up big first innings totals there.

I found their bowling rather underwhelming in this game, having said that, the pitch had no demons in it even on day 5.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
No Pakistan was 1 wicket away from destroying them. West Indies needed 90 or so runs, which is not easy on day 5 against Yasir.
But Yasir had not taken a single wicket at the time of the partnership. He had already bowled over 60 overs in the match. A solid partnership between two capable batsmen is all it takes to make these chases. Both were capable of going ahead and finishing the game.

Again, in the larger context of 4th innings chases, they are ****ing difficult, 300+ is quite close to impossible, no 2 questions asked. In the specific context of this match given the circumstances, I would say they had their best chance during that partnership and Pakistan were worrying about it.

TestMatch

U19 Cricketer
Holder caused the collapse. He came to the crease intent on a draw.

3 or 2 runs an over was what was needed. Holder was happy to block six balls an over.

Bravo then gets out trying to slightly accelerate.

Holder then farms the strike poorly, runs poorly, and doesn't use his 2 reviews. Panic. Collapse. All Bravo's hard work wasted.

Holder shouldn't be on this team, let alone captain.

listento_me

U19 Captain
I thought when they had 80 odd to win with 25 odd over left with bravo and holder at the crease they definitely had a chance. Had bravo got around 150 windies could've won
Were u watching? The windies didn't really look confident in scoring runs and we're pressing hard to simply survive. That's why I gave them only 30% chance. I felt a draw would have been a victory for them at that stage.

vcs

They definitely should have taken the Bishoo review. Looked like there was a chance that it had hit him outside the line, but they didn't show another replay. Was definitely worth a punt, but couldn't decide in the given time and the umpire didn't let them take it finally.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Were u watching? The windies didn't really look confident in scoring runs and we're pressing hard to simply survive. That's why I gave them only 30% chance. I felt a draw would have been a victory for them at that stage.
All he said is they had a chance. You're saying they had a 30% chance too!