• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand tour of Zimbabwe and South Africa 2016

Stefan9

International Debutant
Why Durban?

Why Durban?

August 23, 2016
829 2 More by Tom Follow Tom
Cricket - Sunfoil Test Series - Day 4 - South Africa v New Zealand - Kingsmead Stadium
Unprepared, empty, rainy … why bother with Kingsmead?

There were already alarm bells ringing before the players strode out for Durban’s first-ever Test in August.

A relaying of the ground seven weeks ago and floods barely a month ago meant unpredictable weather and unpredictable pitch conditions. It was a curious decision. No one was really sure how this would all come together. One thing we knew for sure was that the stadium wasn’t going to be full. We knew that because it hardly ever is.

Boxing Day is always festive; it’s normally an excuse for thousands of 20-somethings to get dressed up and boozed up and, while they’re at it, watch a bit of cricket. Even then, as the Proteas and England took to the field last year, it wasn’t sold out. Only 65 overs were bowled that day due to rain delays, and as the hangovers settled in, the crowds diminished with each day.

It’s not like the Proteas ever do particularly well at Kingsmead either. In the last six Tests at Kingsmead, South Africa have only won once. That win, a 10-wicket victory against India in 2013, was Jacques Kallis’s last Test match. Only 7 000 people bothered to pitch up to see one of the greatest all-rounders of all time score a century as he bowed out.

Port Elizabeth hosts the Boxing Day Test this year against Sri Lanka, so perhaps this is why CSA tried to squeeze Durban into the schedule now. The Durbanites had plenty of time to organise their schedules and make the trip to the stadium. Yet barely 2 500 people turned up to watch their side play their first Test in eight months, and almost a full day was played, so no excuses there.

To be fair to the groundsman, on average August is the driest month of the year in KZN, and the unexpected floods in late-July were an uncontrollable situation. There were plenty of controllables, though, and they failed. Why did that relaying process only take place seven weeks ago? Did they think they had sufficient time to get the ground ready for Test cricket? Did they have to wait for the Comrades to finish in late May before they could start the process? I dare not suggest this, as then surely Kingsmead shouldn’t have been selected as a venue for this series in the first place.

When things go wrong, control the controllables. If there is any doubt surrounding the state of the ground, then why put covers only on the pitch and the square when it rained overnight on day two? The outfield was completely exposed.

Let’s also not forget that we’re still in winter. It gets dark very quickly in Durban. Light was always going to be an issue.

Poor scheduling has also affected the match between West Indies and India at Port of Spain in Trinidad. But at least people wanted to go and watch it. At least there’s an atmosphere.

It’s bad enough that this is only a two-Test series. India and Bangladesh are set to play the first ever one-off Test series in early-2017. It’s depressing for the traditionalists to see such little Test cricket played. Now we’re going to have to see a straight shootout in the second and final Test.

Over to you, Centurion.

- See more at: Why Durban?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
ICC sanctions loom over 'poor' Kingsmead after abandoned Black Caps test | Stuff.co.nz

Match referees Andy Pycroft and Ranjan Madugalle submitted reports to the ICC, expressing concerns over the quality of the outfields at Kingsmead and Queen's Park Oval respectively.

"The reports have been forwarded to Cricket South Africa (CSA) and the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB), who now have 14 days to provide their responses," the ICC said in a statement.

According to ICC regulations, the maximum punishment for a venue which incurs the "poor" rating for the first time is a US$15,000 fine (NZ$20,500), along with a warning and a directive for appropriate corrective action.

91Jmay

International Coach
According to ICC regulations, the maximum punishment for a venue which incurs the "poor" rating for the first time is a US$15,000 fine (NZ$20,500), along with a warning and a directive for appropriate corrective action.
Oh the humanity. What ever will they do?

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
That's still less than how much they would need to spend on the super sopper tbh

Although the price quoted here on CW was likely just a random number someone threw in for fun.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's still less than how much they would need to spend on the super sopper tbh

Although the price quoted here on CW was likely just a random number someone threw in for fun.
Nah I got the 50k from an article that said 25,000 pounds

Though tbf after Brexit that's like 20 cents

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
As I have explained a number of times, I didn't watch cricket between 1992 and 2005. When I started watching again the commentary had improved leaps and bounds. When I grew up Peter Williams was a commentator and he was pants. These days you have to be an ex player and they seem to screen them pretty well so the quiet silent type never makes it on to TV.

So one of the treasured comments of the first test was Simon Doull making the following observation of Southee

"And I can see after that first delivery that an adjustment has been made overnight to Tim Southee's action. He is palpably more upright throughout his approach to the crease and his delivery action. This appears to be a conscious change".

a) Peter Williams never would have come up with that, nor would have mystery morrison (I will return to that in a moment)
b) If Doull is correct we could see Southee bowl well in the next test and if that happens SA could be in trouble. As Tim Southee on song is a difficult prospect.

* What I wanted to return to is this story. Mystery was hanging out of the fringes of FC cricket and making a living commentating. His commentary usually revolved around explaining why he was called
Mystery 3 or 4 times each test. Anyway the laughable thing about it is that despite not having put up any FC figures of note in ages, he sounded so profound on the commentary that he got called into the third test squad and actually played against England.

His bowling turned out to be 100 kmh medium pacers that didn't deviate off the straight and or in the air and had no mystery at all to them. His captain took him off after 3 overs and Mystery was never seen or heard from in the test again or selected thereafter.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, I remember NZ's 2006 test there well. We had a 60 odd run 1st innings lead and gave it away and got rolled in our 2nd innings. Got spanked both innings of the Test there one year later.

Marius

International Debutant
It will not be the Wanderers, but it will still have bounce and carry, might dry out a bit for some limited day 4/5 spin. As always, lateral movement will depend on the amount of green grass they leave on, I don't expect any overhead conditions to make a difference

Good ground for SA though, Aggregate/overall records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo
And lekker ground to watch cricket at.

Going there tomorrow.

Look out for the guy with a belly having a beer at 10:30 AM.

vandem

International 12th Man
... * What I wanted to return to is this story. Mystery was hanging out of the fringes of FC cricket and making a living commentating. His commentary usually revolved around explaining why he was called
Mystery 3 or 4 times each test. Anyway the laughable thing about it is that despite not having put up any FC figures of note in ages, he sounded so profound on the commentary that he got called into the third test squad and actually played against England.

His bowling turned out to be 100 kmh medium pacers that didn't deviate off the straight and or in the air and had no mystery at all to them. His captain took him off after 3 overs and Mystery was never seen or heard from in the test again or selected thereafter.
Not quite how I remember it.

After useful domestic FC seasons in 80-81 and 81-82 (599 runs @ 54, 616 runs @ 36), he made it back into the NZ ODI side to Aus in 82-83 and was then picked for all three tests of the test series v Aus later in the season. Not many runs (vs Lillee, Thomson, Alderman, Yardley), but had a surprise and significant bowling spell in the 2nd test at Eden Park that NZ won. We had a not-unusual 4 seamer attack, had bowled Oz out cheaply on day 1, then Edgar ground out a century to give the Kiwis a 170 run lead. Morrison's 2nd innings 35-16-52-2 kept an end tight while Hadlee and Cairns picked up 8 wickets at the other end, then he picked up the 9th and 10th wickets (Lillee, then Border) and the Kiwis chased down a 100-ish run target to win.

Marius

International Debutant
As I have explained a number of times, I didn't watch cricket between 1992 and 2005. When I started watching again the commentary had improved leaps and bounds. When I grew up Peter Williams was a commentator and he was pants. These days you have to be an ex player and they seem to screen them pretty well so the quiet silent type never makes it on to TV.

So one of the treasured comments of the first test was Simon Doull making the following observation of Southee

"And I can see after that first delivery that an adjustment has been made overnight to Tim Southee's action. He is palpably more upright throughout his approach to the crease and his delivery action. This appears to be a conscious change".

a) Peter Williams never would have come up with that, nor would have mystery morrison (I will return to that in a moment)
b) If Doull is correct we could see Southee bowl well in the next test and if that happens SA could be in trouble. As Tim Southee on song is a difficult prospect.

* What I wanted to return to is this story. Mystery was hanging out of the fringes of FC cricket and making a living commentating. His commentary usually revolved around explaining why he was called

After useful domestic FC seasons in 80-81 and 81-82 (599 runs @ 54, 616 runs @ 36), he made it back into the NZ ODI side to Aus in 82-83 and was then picked for all three tests of the test series v Aus later in the season. Not many runs (vs Lillee, Thomson, Alderman, Yardley), but had a surprise and significant bowling spell in the 2nd test at Eden Park that NZ won. We had a not-unusual 4 seamer attack, had bowled Oz out cheaply on day 1, then Edgar ground out a century to give the Kiwis a 170 run lead. Morrison's 2nd innings 35-16-52-2 kept an end tight while Hadlee and Cairns picked up 8 wickets at the other end, then he picked up the 9th and 10th wickets (Lillee, then Border) and the Kiwis chased down a 100-ish run target to win.
Who are you guys talking about?

vandem

International 12th Man

After useful domestic FC seasons in 80-81 and 81-82 (599 runs @ 54, 616 runs @ 36)...
Oops. Hadn't quite remember correctly, but I was only 14 a the time ....

Morrison was recalled to the test team vs Aus in 81-82 after domestic 498 runs @ 49, captaining Wgtn to Shell Trophy with 6 wins from 7 FC games, then made the ODI side to Aus the following season (82-83). The test recall came after injury to John Reid who had scored well at #3 against the Indians the previous summer, and selectors wanted an experienced replacement to face LillianThompson etc as they already had a 19 year old MD Crowe making his debut at #6. Don't think there were many other options, John Parker had averaged 100 for ND but had retired from test cricket, Mark Burgess had retired, Paul McEwan hadn't made many FC runs, Jock Edwards was a hitter and wasn't an option at #3, Jeff Crowe didn't come back to NZ until the following season.

Anyway, back on topic, ....

Last edited: