• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand tour of Zimbabwe and South Africa 2016

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Baz went ******* after about 4 overs of the first test when Southee and Boult were actually bowling well. Screwed with simple, effective bowling plans, and Boult lost rhythm and was rubbish for the rest of the series. Obviously Boult was responsible for his own rubbish bowling, but McCullum was way too meme-Cullum right at the beginning when conventional plans would have been the best option.
I didn't see much of that Australian series live tbf, but reflecting on the last few years.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Baz went ******* after about 4 overs of the first test when Southee and Boult were actually bowling well. Screwed with simple, effective bowling plans, and Boult lost rhythm and was rubbish for the rest of the series. Obviously Boult was responsible for his own rubbish bowling, but McCullum was way too meme-Cullum right at the beginning when conventional plans would have been the best option.
Wonderful post Hendrix. A contender for post of the day. I also recall that Mark Craig was given no protection (I didn't see it but the commentators said so when I got home) because BAz wanted to be aggressive, and Craig went at 5.5 an over and never established himself in the series.

We gave up about 80 extra needless runs that first day of the first test.

vandem

International 12th Man
Probably as much a make up call, for the fact that Ross (wrongly) got PoM in first test over him.
Neil Manthorp said as much when presenting the MoM to Taylor, mentioned that the judges (including himself) had a split decision, and he hoped that Taylor would share some of the $500 with Wagner.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
If we can bring 2 metre Peter* back, we can bring Brownlie back for a couple of years until a decent middle order bat demands selection.

*contentious as to whether he is actually 2 metres tall without the aid of heels.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Brownlie averages 29.62 in 25 innings from batting positions that are relatively cruisy.
Hence why I said horses for courses selection, he's a strong backfoot bat well suited against good pace bowling. FTR if we actually had a decent 5 up to Test standard I wouldn't be suggesting it.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Just noticed there's no warmup game in South Africa, so just as well the top 6 (Santner aside) and the bowlers got a workout. I assume the change in conditions will make things difficult but anyway, no currency like time in the middle. The main positives for NZ going into this series are The Boss' form, and Southee and Boult looking more penetrative than they have in the recent past (in unhelpful conditions). If what Cane cited about Jurgensen working with Boult is correct, that's a very positive sign.

Really hope unlike in Oz, KW and co can lift and pull off a win this time. South Africa seem to have consigned NZ to afterthought two-test series, though it must be said NZ's cause hasn't helped by their showings on the last 2 tours.

BeeGee

International Captain
0-50 - morgieb
50-100 - cane
100-150 - Howe
150-200
200-250 - Athlai
250-300
300+ - BeeGee

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
0-50 - morgieb
50-100 - cane, straw man
100-150 - Howe
150-200
200-250 - Athlai
250-300
300+ - BeeGee
Cheating and picking a bracket that's already taken.

I was gonna do battle of the starchy vegetables with Guptill vs Nicholls, though can see Guptill winning that by scoring some runs (like, 30) when it doesn't matter. So, predicted first innings (two bats) runs for these two:

Nicholls: 27 @ 13.5
Guptill: 8 @ 4

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
A post-readmission history of New Zealand touring South Africa

Thought this was worth compiling - each test shown chronologically below with link, coloured by result and with a match summary from NZ's perspective.

First Test. Johannesburg, Nov 25-29, 1994 - got started how we intended to continue right
Second Test. Durban, Dec 26-30, 1994 - got toasted
Third Test. Cape Town, Jan 2-6, 1995 - got stoned

First Test. Bloemfontein, Nov 17-21, 2000 - got mashed
Second Test. Port Elizabeth, Nov 30-Dec 4, 2000 - got dominated
Third Test. Johannesburg, Dec 8-12, 2000 - got some practice between the rain breaks

First Test. Centurion, Apr 15-19, 2006 - got ambushed
Second Test. Cape Town, Apr 27-May 1, 2006 - got kudos
Third Test. Johannesburg, May 5-7, 2006 - got gently broiled

First Test. Johannesburg, Nov 8-11, 2007 - got destroyed
Second Test. Centurion, Nov 16-18, 2007 - got thrashed

First Test. Cape Town, Jan 2-4, 2013 - got obliterated
Second Test. Port Elizabeth, Jan 11-14, 2013 - got wiped

I wonder what will happen this tour.