• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I've had enough, Virat Kohli.......

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Given its a current world XI and Steyn's injury troubles his absence makes sense.
Yeah, but issue is how "current" is the "current"? That is just opening a pandora's box because they have just shifted goal posts where it suited them, as most people do with the selection of XIs. My point is just that there were more eye catching omissions than just Kohli over KW...

Howsie

International Captain
Think the main reason why Kohli gets so hyped is because of how good he is in the shorter formats. A lot of pundits tend to let the latter influnence the former too much.
This is probably true.

Watching the test last night they kept bringing up the 'Fab four' whilst Williamson was at the crease. Most of the commentators were asked who they would take (and just guess who that was....) but Heath Streak said something pretty revealing. It was something along the line of 'He is just in such good form at the moment, what he did in the IPL was outstanding' I'd like to think cracking pundits could distinguish between the different forms of the game but they probably don't when it comes to making an opinion on a player.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This might be even more true when it comes to former players. As a player, you place importance on the shorter formats as well since you have to be motivated for those games. And when a general question is asked, "Who are the best batsmen?", it makes sense to make use of the complete information set at your hand, even information which comes from the shorter formats.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
This might be even more true when it comes to former players. As a player, you place importance on the shorter formats as well since you have to be motivated for those games. And when a general question is asked, "Who are the best batsmen?", it makes sense to make use of the complete information set at your hand, even information which comes from the shorter formats.
Yeah I fully agree with this, but I think discussions of that nature have to have parameters otherwise they just become wishy-washy and inconsistent. You end up not only talking at cross-purposes but also using different criteria yourself all the time for your statements. I also think naming a mixed format World XI would be a weird concept, even though naming a mixed format 'best batsman' seems okay to me.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Think it's nonsense tbh. Have been enlightened many times when arguing on the internet. It's the best way to learn about these things.
I think you're just picky in who you argue with. Most of the internet arguments tend to be people stating their opinions and not considering the perspective of the other person behind their keyboard. It's what I usually end up doing anyway

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Think it's nonsense tbh. Have been enlightened many times when arguing on the internet. It's the best way to learn about these things.
That might have more to do with who you are as a person and your willingness to learn. In general though, adults over a certain age don't usually change their minds, and certainly not on the internet because in real life social situations, there are social taboos and standards of decorum that also determine human behaviour. Even if people disagree, they might not be as vocal. On the internet, freed from all such social pressures, we tend to be far more aggressive, and 'politically incorrect' with our opinions. If people in general changed their minds based on arguments and reasoning provided, climate change wouldn't have been a 'debate'. Not trying to come across as a cynic but just a general assessment. Adults rarely change their minds once formed.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fairly predictable XI that, although thought Punter may possibly select Flintoff purely based on Ashes performances in '05 & '09 by opening with Kallis instead of Langer, batting Sanga at 3 and Flintoff at 6. Although suppose you'd hardly need to extra bowling resources with McGrath, Ambrose, Wasim & Warne in your line-up.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Good XI, seriously can't wahh about it, even if you're a Murali, Donald or Dravid fan.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ponting is one of those guys who's been surprisingly good post-retirement. Watching him play and captain a side you'd assume he's a raging arrogant prick who knows **** all about tactics but he's actually quite good. He's been great in the BBL.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah Punter is awesome. I think he became an awesome guy post giving up the captaincy actually.

Being captain makes many people pricks I reckon, pressure must be just ridiculous.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I dunno y being a prick n being genuinely knowledgeable of the game and possessing tactical acumen have to be mutually exclusive. I still get the feeling he is a **** but have always felt he was tactically pretty good too. Remembering reading about the 99 Barbados test when it happened and how McGrath got a fifer once he took Ponting's advice and started attacking the stumps with his bowling. He was neither Captain or vice captain at that point too.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
People should know I've embraced Kohli's prickness, calling him a dickhead doesn't bother me. Because he's an entertaining dickhead.

Its people who turn dickheads like Smith that are ****. The boring type of dickhead who doesn't at least say anything outrageous.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
People should know I've embraced Kohli's prickness, calling him a dickhead doesn't bother me. Because he's an entertaining dickhead.

Its people who turn dickheads like Smith that are ****. The boring type of dickhead who doesn't at least say anything outrageous.
Smith was always a dickhead.