• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand tour of Zimbabwe and South Africa 2016

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Despite seeing the U19 scorecards in the last tournament, hadn't actually registered that Rachin was an opener. Wonder if he'll stick with that or, like many best-batsmen-in-the-team players, move to the more cash-in-able number 4 position.
I suspect he might be picked as a bits-and-pieces allrounder first up and therefore start in the middle order.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I suspect he might be picked as a bits-and-pieces allrounder first up and therefore start in the middle order.
Yeah would be a big call for him to push out the likes of established opener Luke Woodcock from Wellington's very talented ranks.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Is that guy even playing 2nd XI cricket?
Yep, down in the engine room for Wellington A these days. Where his very banzai and boundary-reliant method probably belongs, hunting down the caps being won by Alecz Day.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Despite seeing the U19 scorecards in the last tournament, hadn't actually registered that Rachin was an opener. Wonder if he'll stick with that or, like many best-batsmen-in-the-team players, move to the more cash-in-able number 4 position.
Ravindra's all about pressing onto the front foot early and playing his nice driving game tbh, but yeah, I'd say the flourishing cover drive is one of his two signature shots, along with the straight drive. His looseness in trying to go on the up through the covers got him out in the U19's TV game, it's true.

Like a lot of Wellington-trained bats, he'd prefer any sideways movement to be coming out nice and consistently from a Jugs or Bola machine, at this stage.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Oof, doesn't look a lot like an opener in that clip, especially batting in NZ, though at 16 there's obv a lot of development years and shot selection improvement ahead.

Flem274*

123/5
even if he is good, his dad must be a contender for new zealand helicopter parent of the decade with all the youtube child batting prodigy clips. he might flip his old man the bird and discover drugs, booze and girls and live a life of debauchery.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I think there is plenty of evidence he is an opener in that clip based on a couple of deliveries where he withdraws the bat inside the line of the ball. The other thing is, yes, Strawman is correct he will develop further. My own game dramatically improved from year 12 to year 13 and so will his.

To turn this into a slightly longer post just to make some conversation, he will continue to develop shots and improve until he is about 20. Then we will pretty well know how good he is technique wise with further development being largely mental/self belief/physical strength.

The last thing I listed, physical strength is under rated in Cricket. The ability to muscle the ball is important, but also when you are stronger just an average swing of the bat from you can go for four which allows you to focus more on timing rather than exerting force.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Some more comments and really putting this clip under the microscope. His stance while it is beautiful how still he is, isn't quite right. It looks like he just has one stance that he uses whether you are bowling at him from over the wicket or round the wicket. You can physically see that he is really having to move his lead foot across to the pitch of the ball a long way and is to a certain degree playing away from his body. Ideally he will adjust his set up better the more he thinks about his game.

All that said, there are some real cherries there being bowled to him and some really consistent areas being exploited, the bowler whoever it is is top drawer, and is getting it to move away in the air and off the seam.

The last issue I have with Rachin suprises me. For someone who is such a technician he is not following through in line with where he wants the ball to go. It doesn't quite look like he knows what to do with follow through.

I will finish on a positive. How fast is that bowler? Probably 120 something? Whatever the speed is Rachin isn't bothered one iota and he is seeing it just fine. That is a big deal unto itself.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I think all things considered and unless it is a green seamer I would go with this xi for the time being people returning from injury notwithstanding. I think Corey Anderson showed he doesn't have a test match array of shots in the last tour. These eleven guys are our guys even though Nicholls is obviously not up for it and will be replaced in due course.

The other thing I wanted to post is that these long spells kW is giving soult will be a good investment for future tours. They seem to be blowing out the cobwebs the more they bowl. Good captaincy.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
even if he is good, his dad must be a contender for new zealand helicopter parent of the decade with all the youtube child batting prodigy clips. he might flip his old man the bird and discover drugs, booze and girls and live a life of debauchery.
childhood star, could go the way of:
a) Serena Williams
b) Tiger Woods
c) McCauley Culkin

nah he wouldn't do that to us...

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Guys, is it really that bad for whites in Zimbabwe? I've been reading a lot about forced farm evictions and the likes, but at the ground I see what appears to be numerous prosperous whites enjoying the Test. I honestly thought it was doom and gloom for the average white person in Zimbabwe.