• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand tour of Zimbabwe and South Africa 2016

African Monkey

U19 Vice-Captain
Not watching, but is Latham's technique holding up (last innings too)? I have no eye for this thing regardless and I remember many worried posts from Hendrix on this matter last summer.
Yeah he looks fine out there but tbh, the flat decks and standard of bowling which would be of a lower standard than our domestic scene needs to be taken into account. Seems to lose concentration and play very loosely after passing three figures.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Latham ought to be disappointed. A day-and-a-half of batting and *really* kicking on might have been a breakthrough for him. But since stamina and concentration seem to be his main issues, we should be happy he's had two centuries to go with his stint at Kent. Probably enough going into the Saffer series despite the obvious step up in quality.
Easy mate, 2nd ton in succession & he batted the whole day, jeez he'd be tough on himself if he's disappointed.

Shady Slim

International Coach
the bowling isn't all that bad but the pitch ffs

this is more negative for test cricket than seven nagpurs because this isn't entertaining at all

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Easy mate, 2nd ton in succession & he batted the whole day, jeez he'd be tough on himself if he's disappointed.
Yeah, that came out harsh, what I meant was this was a golden opportunity to play a marathon innings. Guess there's no pleasing some of us.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
the bowling isn't all that bad but the pitch ffs

this is more negative for test cricket than seven nagpurs because this isn't entertaining at all
During one of the few passages I watched, the commentator seemed to suggest Ntini himself specifically asked for the surface since it maximises his team's chances of playing out five days, and pointed out it was exactly the sort of pitch Makhaya would have moaned about as a player.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
t's good he got there but it's also his 5th ton and he's yet to cross the 150 mark. I know it's harsh considering our dearth of quality openers since Richardson but he actually seems to have the ability to go on. That said iirc his only 150+ score domestically was that 261 so maybe he has a 100-140 mental block.

NZTailender

Big chance of a double ton from Daddy-wills,
Honestly thought he might chuck it away before close in the 90s but if he makes three figures tomorrow morning expecting it to be a big one. Hope Taylor can ton up too just to keep his century tally ahead by 1.

Athlai

Not Terrible
t's good he got there but it's also his 5th ton and he's yet to cross the 150 mark. I know it's harsh considering our dearth of quality openers since Richardson but he actually seems to have the ability to go on. That said iirc his only 150+ score domestically was that 261 so maybe he has a 100-140 mental block.
Probably just needs to last the full day so he can start fresh on the next one.

NZTailender

He batted the full day against Pakistan only to get out for not scoring the next day. It was almost an identical innings to this one.

Zinzan

I'd say Latham's overall ability to bat long is pretty good, certainly from a technical perspective. But yeah, he does appear to be susceptible to periods in which he just inexplicably loses all shape and rhythm for no apparent reason.

Mind, if he can keep scoring hundreds without getting to 150, I won't be complaining too much. It's easy to forget Mark Waugh had a high score of just 153.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd say Latham's overall ability to bat long is pretty good, certainly from a technical perspective. But yeah, he does appear to be susceptible to periods in which he just inexplicably loses all shape and rhythm for no apparent reason.

Mind, if he can keep scoring hundreds without getting to 150, I won't be complaining too much. It's easy to forget Mark Waugh had a high score of just 153.
I've been a critic of Latham and his inability to turn his undoubted skill into scoring Test hundreds, big ones and contribute to team success...but not at all going to be harsh on him for this series. He's made starts and gone on with them. Could've turned them into big hundreds, but he's showing improvement - albeit in Zimbabwe. That's a decent place to work on batting long periods of time, and transfer it into bigger series. Gee he's looked good to the eye, especially through the off side. Whether or not that creates issues for him on bouncier tracks with better bowlers, unsure. But there's so much to like about how he's batted this series. He's a gun, he just needs to get better and better mentally. And he will hopefully, he's only 24.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Let's not blame the pitch that much, Zim bowlers are still ********* (rhymes with titmouse)

Zinzan

I've been a critic of Latham and his inability to turn his undoubted skill into scoring Test hundreds, big ones and contribute to team success...but not at all going to be harsh on him for this series. He's made starts and gone on with them. Could've turned them into big hundreds, but he's showing improvement - albeit in Zimbabwe. That's a decent place to work on batting long periods of time, and transfer it into bigger series. Gee he's looked good to the eye, especially through the off side.
Yup, definitely inherited his fathers ability to effortlessly time a cricket ball, although obviously much more talented than Rod.

Howsie

International Captain
Disappointing it hasn't been mentioned here but that's 50 tests for two of the ND boys. Only thing worth talking about when it comes to this test I'd say, God Zimbabwe are poor. This isn't close to being worthy of a test bowling attack.

Zinzan

I had noticed, because I was thinking how apt it was see KW's average tick over the 50 mark in his 50th Test.