• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand tour of Zimbabwe and South Africa 2016

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Henry's style of bowling at optimal level is like Ryan Harris. But yeah, his action is a bit Bond-like.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I much prefer the Jason Gillespie comparison for Henry; Bond was quite different imo. Slightly shorter limbs and less whirlwind than Gillespie, but still many of the same elements.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I was meaning overall bowling (red and white ball along his FC numbers over the last 2-3 years) since we were talking about our Test attack.

However for the purpose of discussion, even if we were solely talking white ball, I think he's at best on par with where he was 2 years ago & definitely wouldn't be citing him as one of the improvers of the last couple of years as Athers had.
I think he is on par, and when you basically come out of the gates at an almost world-class level that's no indictment. I don't think he needs to improve, in any great way. Look at his summer last year - consistent wickets throughout. Away tours last year he was down on form, especially in England which is surprising. Not sure why.

Here's one for Kippax - he should've gone to the World Cup instead of Kyle. For on-field and off-field destabilising reasons.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think he is on par, and when you basically come out of the gates at an almost world-class level that's no indictment. I don't think he needs to improve, in any great way. Look at his summer last year - consistent wickets throughout. Away tours last year he was down on form, especially in England which is surprising. Not sure why.
I'm not sure if you read the original exchange or not, but there was no mention of anything being an indictment, just doubt that his bowling had improved in the last two years, and seems you're not claiming this either.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not sure if you read the original exchange or not, but there was no mention of anything being an indictment, just doubt that his bowling had improved in the last two years, and seems you're not claiming this either.
If someone's saying it's improved, it probably hasn't in the ODI arena or Test arena. ODI, because he came in nigh-on world class and remains so. If he was going to improve, he'd be averaging in the high teens where only Shane Bond operates. The (relatively) new laws with two new balls suits him down to the ground as well. I can't specifically remember whether he's been better later in the innings, it feels like summer was 10 ****ing years ago. In Tests, he's played 4. From memory, all four being relatively high-scoring matches. It's a real shame he didn't play the Adelaide Test, not that he'd have been any better for it but he could've been lethal.

He'll be a Test cricketer one day, got no doubt about that. And a decent all-round one too.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
If someone's saying it's improved, it probably hasn't in the ODI arena or Test arena. ODI, because he came in nigh-on world class and remains so. If he was going to improve, he'd be averaging in the high teens where only Shane Bond operates. The (relatively) new laws with two new balls suits him down to the ground as well. I can't specifically remember whether he's been better later in the innings, it feels like summer was 10 ****ing years ago. In Tests, he's played 4. From memory, all four being relatively high-scoring matches. It's a real shame he didn't play the Adelaide Test, not that he'd have been any better for it but he could've been lethal.

He'll be a Test cricketer one day, got no doubt about that. And a decent all-round one too.
I agree with what you're saying; but the reason this was brought up is my observation is that Wagner is the only bowler from the current crop of players and prospects who's improved over the last 2 years.

Which I find worrying.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, fair to say that the conditions in the air last summer didn't prevent the very wiry limbs and good intellect of Navin Patel from making quite a surprising move up the charts.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree with what you're saying; but the reason this was brought up is my observation is that Wagner is the only bowler from the current crop of players and prospects who's improved over the last 2 years.

Which I find worrying.
Boult's regression/stagnation/lack of development whatever you want to call it is 100% due to overload and injury. Southee, yeah he's gone backwards from the heights of 2012-14. A lot would contribute that to standard of bowling coach. Then you've got Bracewell who's never had a particular peak or comfortable period at Test level, and the spinners.

Marius

International Debutant
He played really well this last season... don`t know quite where he fits in though. Maybe QDK at 6, with Parnell and Philander 7/8?
I like Quinny at seven, gives us something a bit extra with him coming in when we're five down.

Not sure Parnell will get a gig straight away, Vern will probably still be ahead.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I like Quinny at seven, gives us something a bit extra with him coming in when we're five down.

Not sure Parnell will get a gig straight away, Vern will probably still be ahead.
Agree 100%. Parnell is probably just cover for Philander. But thats what got him into a mess last time, always sitting on the bench.

Marius

International Debutant
Just had a look at his numbers from last year's Sunfoil Series - played five games, made 337 runs at 48 with a century and two fifties, and took 23 wickets at 20.5, with three fifers.

If he keeps that kind of form up he could really be a gem for the Test side.