• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand 2016

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
Spark mentioned it yesterday but imo the kiwi bowlers have all been a yard short in their lengths this entire innings. I think it was Jason Gillespie who calls it bowling a pretty length, it'll beat the bat with a bit of movement but really it's not a wicket taking length, throughout the Burns-Smith partnership there was a lot of leaving and working to leg, not a lot of driving. The pitch has certainly flattened out but I think it's been made to look more so by the generally unthreatening lengths of the kiwi bowlers, it's a shame really because 6 months ago these guys had genuine claims to being the best new ball bowlers in world cricket but over these 5 tests they've been pretty toothless. I don't want to sound condescending but I was really hoping for more of a contest
With Henry I definitely agree but I feel as if the other bowlers including Wagner were hitting decent lengths for good portions of their spell.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Spark mentioned it yesterday but imo the kiwi bowlers have all been a yard short in their lengths this entire innings. I think it was Jason Gillespie who calls it bowling a pretty length, it'll beat the bat with a bit of movement but really it's not a wicket taking length, throughout the Burns-Smith partnership there was a lot of leaving and working to leg, not a lot of driving. The pitch has certainly flattened out but I think it's been made to look more so by the generally unthreatening lengths of the kiwi bowlers, it's a shame really because 6 months ago these guys had genuine claims to being the best new ball bowlers in world cricket but over these 5 tests they've been pretty toothless. I don't want to sound condescending but I was really hoping for more of a contest
For two world class swing bowlers they've become weirdly afraid of being driven

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
Voges has such an uncomplicated technique at the moment. He also looks quite a bit like Bill Lawry with a lesser snoz.

Southee and Boult have both recently had injuries and haven't really come back properly from them yet; that we just continue to select them in all conditions despite this is one of the problems in NZ. We don't have the depth to mean that your place isn't secured by past performances.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I swear when Bond was coach 90% of what he did was say 'pitch it up', 'pitch it up' and 'pitch it up' to Boult and Southee for exactly that reason.

Compton

International Debutant
May this match be a warning to all those selectors that say "well it won't take much spin, why don't we just pick an all-seam attack?"

Just pick a ****ing spinner.

Meridio

International Regular
May this match be a warning to all those selectors that say "well it won't take much spin, why don't we just pick an all-seam attack?"

I have no doubt in saying that Craig would have been at least as ineffective as our seam bowlers this match. It was the right decision to make.

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain

Why? Williamson has a better return in this test than Craig would've. Just bowl Williamson more.

Meridio

International Regular
Yeah that average length is about a metre too short. It's weird. When we were on our good unbeaten at home run that was exactly the criticism we always had of the touring bowlers. Now it's us making that mistake. Bizarre.

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
Yeah that average length is about a metre too short. It's weird. When we were on our good unbeaten at home run that was exactly the criticism we always had of the touring bowlers. Now it's us making that mistake. Bizarre.
Every bowler except Wagner has had an injury this season though right? Including Anderson. I think ultimately we're seeing an underdone side attempt to compete with a very well established batting unit and in every single test, be asked to do it in conditions that truly offer nothing.

Compton

International Debutant
I have no doubt in saying that Craig would have been at least as ineffective as our seam bowlers this match. It was the right decision to make.
I just don't see the value in picking four seamers when you're already picking Anderson as an all-rounder. There's no balance at all.

Lyon has the best figures of the match so far, so it's not too far fetched to suggest a spinner could do alright.

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
I just don't see the value in picking four seamers when you're already picking Anderson as an all-rounder. There's no balance at all.

Lyon has the best figures of the match so far, so it's not too far fetched to suggest a spinner could do alright.
Let's continue to ignore that Lyon only has those figures because he got pretty much our entire tail end out while they attempted to slog him into the stands and pretend like he actually earned those wickets. :laugh: Lyon the Lion, GOAT!

Meridio

International Regular
I know it's almost meme-like to blame the bowling coach, but does anyone think Mascarenhas - who obviously is English, who all bowled far too short on their last tours here - is behind the back-of-a-length bowling?

Skyliner

International 12th Man

You'd think the aggggressive option would be to pick leg-spinner Sodhi. But McCullum is really only aggggressive about slogging and field positions. If not 4 seamers they would have just gone with the company man & resident pie thrower Craig in this match, and there's no advantage in that.
Adelaide was the place to play 4 seamers. Smith took a look at the pitch and sent O'Keefe home.