• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand 2016

Compton

International Debutant
Let's continue to ignore that Lyon only has those figures because he got pretty much our entire tail end out while they attempted to slog him into the stands and pretend like he actually earned those wickets. :laugh: Lyon the Lion, GOAT!
Does anything just count as happening for you?

Australia yeah but they won the toss.
Southee and Boult yeah but they were injured.
Lyon yeah but they were slogging.

You could explain away just about anything using that mindset :laugh:

Skyliner

International 12th Man
Let's continue to ignore that Lyon only has those figures because he got pretty much our entire tail end out while they attempted to slog him into the stands and pretend like he actually earned those wickets. :laugh: Lyon the Lion, GOAT!
Lyon still has to put the ball in the right place, but it's not just the tail who threw their wickets away trying to slog Lyon in this series.

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
Does anything just count as happening for you?

Australia yeah but they won the toss.
Southee and Boult yeah but they were injured.
Lyon yeah but they were slogging.

You could explain away just about anything using that mindset :laugh:
Can't explain away how well Australia have batted and how well Hazelwood and Siddle in particular bowled in the first test.

Attempting to claim Lyon is anything other than the spin version of Wagner when it comes to jammy wickets :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I think ultimately we're seeing an underdone side attempt to compete with a very well established batting unit and in every single test, be asked to do it in conditions that truly offer nothing.
I think ultimately we're not as good as Australia in Tests, and if you're not as good you need luck in order to win.

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
I agree that we should have bowled more spin in this innings; I disagree it should've been Craig. Williamson is a better bowler than Craig is, especially against a side that just waits for the bad ball to punish it. Sodhi would've been worth selecting but that's hindsight and prior to the recent ODI side, no one in NZ rated Sodhi either.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If voges tons up again he should be knighted (even if Turnbull removed it, bring it back just for him) and NZ should simultaneously be kicked out of cricket.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I know it's almost meme-like to blame the bowling coach, but does anyone think Mascarenhas - who obviously is English, who all bowled far too short on their last tours here - is behind the back-of-a-length bowling?
I don't know how much Mascarenhas can be blamed, apart from the 2nd dig at Lord's NZ bowled very well in England afterall. But it's certainly a case of back to the drawing board for the new coach. Fortunately there's a big 6 month break coming, hopefully NZ can sit Shane Bond, Mascarenhas, Hesson, Jurgensen and the bowlers down after this series and spend a couple days trying to work out where things have gone wrong this season and what plans need to be put in place to turn it around.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I would keep Baz on and I question why he hasn't been a bowling option in other games.

Or maybe this pitch just suits him.

Meridio

International Regular
I don't know how much Mascarenhas can be blamed, apart from the 2nd dig at Lord's NZ bowled very well in England afterall. But it's certainly a case of back to the drawing board for the new coach. Fortunately there's a big 6 month break coming, hopefully NZ can sit Shane Bond, Mascarenhas, Hesson, Jurgensen and the bowlers down after this series and spend a couple days trying to work out where things have gone wrong this season and what plans need to be put in place to turn it around.
Hopefully, but I can't say I have all that much faith in Jurgensen to fix things; I think it will need to come from the bowlers themselves. The two most apparent things for me are the length and the consistency. We just have not strung together sustained periods of good line and length bowling; we bowl a few decent balls and then go searching for the miracle ball, or abandon the normal method in favour of a bouncer barrage or something. I'm not sure the break will do us good or ill too, given that another problem has been our main bowlers being underdone. .

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Okay so I've missed the weekend full of discussion in this thread...cliff notes on why NZ's bowling suck so much atm?

TNT

Banned
I think ultimately we're not as good as Australia in Tests, and if you're not as good you need luck in order to win.
Australia have a very weak team (Australian standards) and NZ have one of the best teams they have ever had,.

What pains me is Australia could very well go to number one after this match, that hurts, it would have been better to take the number one spot after beating SA or England then it would feel like you deserved the number one position.

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
Okay so I've missed the weekend full of discussion in this thread...cliff notes on why NZ's bowling suck so much atm?
Wrong lengths, lack of pace, lack of swing, all coming back from injury, bad game plans and no patience.

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
They're New Zealanders
It's going to be sweet when you guys go back to England and get bundled out for 80 again.

The NZ psyche doesn't seem to get up for the occasion against Australia in tests. We try to dominate the match rather than just play good solid cricket. The English at the moment have the complete wood over you when they're not subject to your roads. You're just lucky the NZ Groundsmen decided to give you roads here.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Australia have a very weak team (Australian standards) and NZ have one of the best teams they have ever had,.

What pains me is Australia could very well go to number one after this match, that hurts, it would have been better to take the number one spot after beating SA or England then it would feel like you deserved the number one position.
You have noticed that the entire top five averages 50+, right? Unproven, maybe, but not weak.

TNT

Banned
It's going to be sweet when you guys go back to England and get bundled out for 80 again.

The NZ psyche doesn't seem to get up for the occasion against Australia in tests. We try to dominate the match rather than just play good solid cricket. The English at the moment have the complete wood over you when they're not subject to your roads. You're just lucky the NZ Groundsmen decided to give you roads here.
Yes England have the wood over Australia at the moment winning three of their last ten test matches.

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
You have noticed that the entire top five averages 50+, right? Unproven, maybe, but not weak.
It's jingoistic to call this Australian team weak, but weren't you one of the ones saying the 2011 squad was weak too? As Australians, unless you were born early enough to remember the period just post the retirement of Lillee, You have no idea what a weak cricket team is. That shows up so much when you guys classify teams where every single batsman averages over 40 while all the bowlers average under 35 as being "weak"