• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand 2016

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
Yeah NZ really should have made way more than 370. Aus were mentally shot there, and were there for the taking.
Comes back to what I was saying about Lyon; they saw him as easy runs and gave him wickets as they have all series.

Meridio

International Regular
What this from McCullum is suggesting is that our bowlers simply have not got their seam release right.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
The fastest century in test cricket will join the fastest double century in test cricket as being in a losing effort. Plus both were in Christchurch.

370's in the first innnings just don't set you up for wins.

250/4 with 5 men on the boundary, bowlers bowling round the wicket with outside-leg yorkers. Turns into a mid 300s first innings - with 4 of the next 5 dismissals caught in front of the wicket. That takes some inept game management.
Hard to disagree with that. Corey getting out the way he did, when he did (ie on tea) was the most disappointing. Test #6s need to be a lot more adaptable than he is.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nothing I've said differs from this part of your post
Think you've been a tad more touchey about it tbf, and haven't been so clear in pointing out Aust are clearly on a different level than NZ in all disciplines.

But in your defense, for someone like Compton to suggest the toss made no difference suggests to me he's only been taking a glancing interest and not actually seen much of the play.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Comes back to what I was saying about Lyon; they saw him as easy runs and gave him wickets as they have all series.
No it comes down to that since Sharjah, NZ have only played one way - the fun way. I think Baz mentally clocked off then.

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
What this from McCullum is suggesting is that our bowlers simply have not got their seam release right.
I thought this, but they've shown some close ups of both Southee and Boult and the seam presentation has been really good. I think it's more a case of the speed he's bowling at is giving the ball time to swing in these conditions.

Ryan19

School Boy/Girl Captain
Jord's whinge is way over the top clearly, however I can only assume you haven't been watching if you can't concede the coin toss in the series to date is more important and crucial than usual on these pitches that are green and spicy as hell for 5-6 hours and then dry out to be roads.

That said, there's no doubt Aust have been and are the far better side, and I don't think even the most one-eyed NZ fan (with the possibly exception of KV who seems to have disappeared off the planet) would suggest otherwise.

So you're right about the gap between the teams, but should have an element of sympathy for losing the toss on these stupid wickets that only play up for such a short time.

Many of us kiwi fans have been complaining about these wickets that make the toss so crucial for a long time now since we always seem to lose them on a greentop. ;)

Bring back the Indian series pitches of 2002 IMO, yes, those ones India moaned about for about 5 years afterwards..but at least they did plenty throughout the whole 5 days, the type of wickets that gives NZ are better chance of actually winning against the better teams. That's what the home advantage should be all about.
I think you do have to concede that these two tests have been some of the few where the toss actually matters. The problem is that New Zealand Cricket created a pitch where the toss was going to be a hugely important factor. One of the suggestions around removing the toss, was that the away side would just choose whether to bat or bowl. If that was the case, then Australia would just have chosen to bowl in both games and nothing would have changed.

You could argue that the pitch at the Basin and here at Hagley were New Zealand's best chance of taking a test.

Meridio

International Regular
Hard to disagree with that. Corey getting out the way he did, when he did (ie on tea) was the most disappointing. Test #6s need to be a lot more adaptable than he is.
Yes, plus obvs. Southee being the biggest moron with a bat on the planet. It's really, really poor that he has not made the slightest improvement to his batting in about 8 years of international cricket.

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
Think you've been a tad more touchey about it tbf, and haven't been so clear in pointing out Aust are clearly on a different level than NZ in all disciplines.

But in your defense, for someone like Compton to suggest the toss made no difference suggests to me he's only been taking a glancing interest and not actually seen much of the play.
I've said quite a few times that Australia have played far better during the series and that our bowling attack was a massive disappointment; but I do wonder how different the matches would've been had we had first use of the conditions in at least one of the matches.

Compton

International Debutant
We taking a pool on how many balls Mitch will last? Single digits only please, let's not be silly about it.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
Spark mentioned it yesterday but imo the kiwi bowlers have all been a yard short in their lengths this entire innings. I think it was Jason Gillespie who calls it bowling a pretty length, it'll beat the bat with a bit of movement but really it's not a wicket taking length, throughout the Burns-Smith partnership there was a lot of leaving and working to leg, not a lot of driving. The pitch has certainly flattened out but I think it's been made to look more so by the generally unthreatening lengths of the kiwi bowlers, it's a shame really because 6 months ago these guys had genuine claims to being the best new ball bowlers in world cricket but over these 5 tests they've been pretty toothless. I don't want to sound condescending but I was really hoping for more of a contest

Meridio

International Regular
I thought this, but they've shown some close ups of both Southee and Boult and the seam presentation has been really good. I think it's more a case of the speed he's bowling at is giving the ball time to swing in these conditions.
I don't think so, tbh. I haven't seen as many close ups this test but from what I have seen, both Boult and Southee's presentation has declined in the last year. It was near perfect before then, but something's gone slightly wrong - whether that's the angle of the seam, or the axis of rotation, or the amount of backspin I'm not quite sure.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think you do have to concede that these two tests have been some of the few where the toss actually matters. The problem is that New Zealand Cricket created a pitch where the toss was going to be a hugely important factor. One of the suggestions around removing the toss, was that the away side would just choose whether to bat or bowl. If that was the case, then Australia would just have chosen to bowl in both games and nothing would have changed.

You could argue that the pitch at the Basin and here at Hagley were New Zealand's best chance of taking a test.

Lol Isn't that effectively exactly what I said in that post? Except going on to point out that Australia have been/are better across the board.

Compton

International Debutant

I wasn't saying that it made no difference to the play, just that the tosses going the other way wouldn't have changed the results.

Australia certainly got the rub of the green with the tosses and got to bowl in the better bowling conditions, but they've just been the better side at every aspect, and that's why they won the first test and are leading here.

FWIW, I've seen almost every ball of this match :laugh: