• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand 2016

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
anyone else enjoying the australian posters who have being trying so hard to troll this season have been getting trolled all summer by kiwivaper and 'jord"?
we should change his name to Gord and make his avatar the Canadian flag

TheJediBrah

anyone else enjoying the australian posters who have being trying so hard to troll this season have been getting trolled all summer by kiwivaper and 'jord"?
lol trolling is making 1 or 2 short comments and getting huge outraged replies

If someone "trolling" wastes just as much of their own time arguing and posts more than the people he's "trolling", that's not trolling. That's sad.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I wouldn't consider it an alternate reality; in this reality he struggles against the sides that are capable against spin, his record against Pakistan, Sri Lanka, India and South Africa isn't anywhere near as good as his career average. He feasts on the Windies, NZ and England.
Lyon aves: vs India 36, vs SA 36, vs SL 40, vs Pak 140 (only two tests though, it'll come down this summer), Away 30
Vettori aves: vs India 48, vs SA 73, vs SL 23, vs Pak 46, Away 32

Very hard to make an argument for Lyon being worse than Vettori against those oppositions.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Australia is hardly a spin friendly country (neither is NZ) so touring bowlers kind of get a pass or are understood to have it hard when they tour there. Lyon doesn't rely on turning wickets in the same conditions and uses flight and bounce to get guys out but no he's a hack and batsmen only get out because they don't rate him and mistime their shots trying to tonk him. The former isn't a legit tactic at all 8-)

Burgey

Lyon is perfectly fine. Easily our best spinner since Warne and belongs in the argument as the best Australian offie of all time.

Idkaf where that puts him all time as an offie. He's a fine bowler for us right here, right now.

WPNCOS.

Starfighter

Australia is hardly a spin friendly country (neither is NZ) so touring bowlers kind of get a pass or are understood to have it hard when they tour there. Lyon doesn't rely on turning wickets in the same conditions and uses flight and bounce to get guys out but no he's a hack and batsmen only get out because they don't rate him and mistime their shots trying to tonk him. The former isn't a legit tactic at all 8-)
Funny thing is quite a few subcontinental bowlers have good records in NZ (H Singh and Prasanna for example)
The funny thing with Singh is that he had a dreadful record here in Aus despite supposedly using bounce to get his wickets. Maybe Aus pitches just don't appreciate bendy elbows and/or s****y personalities (excluding our own team, of course)

Starfighter

Lyon is perfectly fine. Easily our best spinner since Warne and belongs in the argument as the best Australian offie of all time.

Idkaf where that puts him all time as an offie. He's a fine bowler for us right here, right now.

WPNCOS.
Well I might venture to the opinion he was better than Mallet. Maybe not Hugh Trumble though. He's played over 50 tests so he must be doing something right (note: does not apply to John Emburey). If he can improve more he could be better than Harbhajan.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I'm inclined to social's position on the matter honestly, and it's something that comes up a lot with spinners in Australia. Lyon has a good record in Australian conditions and bowls a bit differently from someone like Swann. I think Swann is clearly the better bowler overall, but Lyon's style is nicely suited to Australian conditions and I'd expect him to outperform most offspinners in Australia, including Swann. Judging him on how often he bowls unplayable big turning deliveries probably isn't that fair because he's just not going to do that very often given where he plays and how he bowls. Lyon is also still relatively young and is a better bowler now than he was last time he toured India and Sri Lanka, so those will be interesting tours for him coming up.

Starfighter

Lyon is also still relatively young and is a better bowler now than he was last time he toured India and Sri Lanka, so those will be interesting tours for him coming up.
Will be very interesting to see those tours. Are we going to SL this winter? Haven't heard anything about it. Hope Lyon can rip through SL, they seem to be on the down at the moment.
Lyon didn't even do that badly in India first time. Sure he got mauled in the first test, but he came back well enough. Not many Aussie bowlers have gotten innings figures as good as 7/94 in India.

TheJediBrah

Will be very interesting to see those tours. Are we going to SL this winter? Haven't heard anything about it. Hope Lyon can rip through SL, they seem to be on the down at the moment.
Lyon didn't even do that badly in India first time. Sure he got mauled in the first test, but he came back well enough. Not many Aussie bowlers have gotten innings figures as good as 7/94 in India.
I know he missed at least 1 test of those tests in India (dropped) where Doherty/Maxwell played as the spinners (lmao)

Daemon

He was pants in India other than that spell, just like in the UAE.

He's too slow to be very effective on tracks with turn imo. He's best when batsmen feel a need to attack him and then deceive them in the air. Jord was sorta right in saying that, but I don't see why mode of dismissals should be considered when talking about the quality of a bowler. I've seen plenty of occassions where supposedly proper spinners have been attacked and have no answer. It's a different skill.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah three tests in Sri Lanka in July/August. I thought we were playing a test series in India soon too but now that I look I can't see one coming up. Looks like they are hosting Bangladesh, New Zealand and England. So maybe next year.

edit: Yeah, Feb/March 2017.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
He was pants in India other than that spell, just like in the UAE.

He's too slow to be very effective on tracks with turn imo.
Still, he adapted a bit on that tour and there's potential for him to improve on those conditions. Would be needed for him to reach the Swann tier of offspinners, will be interesting to see if he can do it.

Compton

International Debutant
I think Lyon has improved a lot since that tour. Looking forward to seeing him in spin friendly conditions again.

Daemon

Yeah I have no doubt he will eventually be good in all conditions, it's just a matter of playing enough in them.

Meridio

International Regular
Missed pretty much all of yesterday's play, and that's a very, very disappointing score to wake up to. All reports were that this pitch would keep moving for several days, but from what I can gather it's not done anything except a bit with the brand new ball - and even then it only lasted a few overs. Whether that's down to the pitch itself, or the ball, or overhead conditions, or our bowlers simply not getting their releases right, I don't know. What did seem apparent to me though from the first test was that the Australian bowlers got noticeably more movement even in the second innings when it was meant to be flat, so I'm inclined to at least partly attribute it to our bowlers, which is quite concerning.