• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand 2016

Meridio

International Regular
Think it's time to admit that this pitch was actually pretty fair, and NZ have just been thoroughly outplayed.
That wasn't my point here - I meant that they don't suddenly produce something really dry and spinner-friendly.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Another damning indictment on the coaches is that Nicholls, the debutant, has been our best batsman in this match.
Let's be honest, our batting approach can make us seem like geniuses on good/flat wickets.. ie. Perth, but there's an utter inability to adapt should the conditions start off tricky. The is an indictment on Craig McMillan imo. Probably a great batting coach for ODI and T20 batting, but need to question the approach in tests, especially when there's swing and/or seam on offer.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
What's particularly galling is how much worse this Australian team is than the one that lost the Ashes, and even the one that we put up a fight against across the Tasman. Yeah, Taylor is a big loss, but NZ have gone backwards a long way this season.

Burgey

Heard on the radio this morning there have been some tremors in Christchurch. Is there any suggestion the test may have to be moved?

Athlai

Not Terrible
Think it's time to admit that this pitch was actually pretty fair, and NZ have just been thoroughly outplayed.
I think it's fair to acknowledge that the first 10-20 overs were a little more testing than the standard Test pitch. Definitely didn't warrant 5 wickets falling in that period though. I think most of us would have been satisfied to be about 3 down after the first session after losing the toss. 5 was abysmal.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Heard on the radio this morning there have been some tremors in Christchurch. Is there any suggestion the test may have to be moved?
No word yet. It wasn't a terrible quake, and damage was fairly modes (bookshelves tipping over etc). I tend to think the only way that the game would be cancelled is if there's significant liquefaction at the ground.

Zinzan

Very tentative suggestions discussed. Based on logistics, they'd need to decide on it today if they are considering a last min drop-in pitch in Auckland, or possible Hamilton or another go at the Basin. Doubt it will happen though.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I think it's fair to acknowledge that the first 10-20 overs were a little more testing than the standard Test pitch. Definitely didn't warrant 5 wickets falling in that period though. I think most of us would have been satisfied to be about 3 down after the first session after losing the toss. 5 was abysmal.
After the start Guptill and Latham got we should have been none down, quite frankly. I would've been ok with 1 down. 3 would've been poor, 5 abysmal.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't get the Nicholls hate on here, but then again I don't get to see any NZ FC cricket.
The Nicholls hate on CW is more to do with Cribbage's sensibilities being really set off by him. But let's not get too carried away on a guy who averages 33 for Canterbury after 33 FC games. You're really supposed to get some runs in the 2nd innings at the Basin if you're strong square of the wicket.

Meridio

International Regular
Something I've noticed quite a bit this test - we've hit the fielders a lot, and we've missed out on a lot of singles when the bowlers have strayed onto the pads. It's a relatively minor issue in the grand scheme of things this match, but it does contribute to pressure on the batsmen, and bowlers having to adjust to different batsmen more often.

Gob

International Coach
What's particularly galling is how much worse this Australian team is than the one that lost the Ashes, and even the one that we put up a fight against across the Tasman. Yeah, Taylor is a big loss, but NZ have gone backwards a long way this season.
Maybe on paper but Clarke was puss so

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
The Nicholls hate on CW is more to do with Cribbage's sensibilities being really set off by him. But let's not get too carried away on a guy who averages 33 for Canterbury after 33 FC games. You're really supposed to get some runs in the 2nd innings at the Basin if you're strong square of the wicket.

Jeets makes anyone look rubbish though.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Another damning indictment on the coaches is that Nicholls, the debutant, has been our best batsman in this match.
Nicholls has been with the team since Christmas. You could equally say that the fact he's doing well on debut is a credit to the coaching staff.