• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand 2016

Meridio

International Regular
I don't get the Nicholls hate on here, but then again I don't get to see any NZ FC cricket. He looks pretty compact and is up for a scrap at least. Obviously he's no Ross Taylor but he's not the reason NZ has struggled with the bat this game.
I think it's been greatly exaggerated by a few posters here tbh. I haven't seen a lot of him either, and it does look like there's a few problems with his technique - definitely onside-biased, and flirts with an angled bat outside off stump - but I've been quite impressed with how he's handled himself. Hasn't really looked nervous or overawed since he's come into the team, and is showing a bit of ticker here on debut. Long way to go though.

Meridio

International Regular
Omg, Mark Richardson - please never try and explain reverse swing in a scientific manner ever again.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
If Nicholls tons up, and Ross Taylor is fit for the next match, do we:

a) Drop Anderson

b) Drop Guptill and ask Baz to open in his last test.

Meridio

International Regular

a) Drop Anderson

I've just been pondering this question myself. I'd be inclined to drop Anderson - though that's largely on the basis that I can't see McCullum going back up to open after the faith shown in Guptill this summer..

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd assume Nicholls would miss out for the one test actually, Santner will be fit by then right?

Athlai

Not Terrible

a) Drop Anderson

lol, mate Guptill is nowhere near getting dropped. Did you forget the Sri Lankan tour?

If Santa isn't fit. We'd probably just drop Nicholls and play him in Baz's spot in the future.

Meridio

International Regular
Do we know if Santner's been ruled out of the whole series, or was it just this test? Could throw another spanner into the works.

jcas0167

International Debutant

a) Drop Anderson

Nicholls to keep wicket. Realistically I suspect that Taylor will just come in for Nicholls.

Last edited:

WalkingWicket

State 12th Man
I swear just before Watling was bowled, his attention was drawn to something on the wicket. I noticed it and thought if he gets out that'll be weird...

EDIT: Ah, maybe not. It might just be his technique.

Meridio

International Regular
Right, so if Santner's fit - then he comes in for Craig, presumably. Though I'd actually prefer the four seamers. With Henry and Wagner, that is.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
At work, but if anyone cbf posting BJ's test batting stats since the English tour last year, it'd be appreciated.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah hard to say what we will get in Hagley just yet, if we get something grassy looking then we could probably go with a full strength XI of

Latham
Guptill
Williamson
Taylor
McCullum
Nicholls
Watling
Santner
Southee
Wagner
Boult

after Baz retires, you move Nicholls up and bring in Anderson/Neesham/Bracewell/Henry depending on form/conditions.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Another damning indictment on the coaches is that Nicholls, the debutant, has been our best batsman in this match.

Meridio

International Regular
I'm so pleased that Ian Smith is commentating while Bracewell's batting. It just adds so much insightful, quality analysis to proceedings.