• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand 2016

CM Punk

State Vice-Captain
Do you think our batsmen will reign it in once Brendan retires, or is it just in their game to try dominate the bowling when you're 300 behind...

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I like Latham so much but his conversion problems are concerning. It's good that he frequently gets starts and makes a decent score since that helps the team out greatly as an opener, but fmd he needs to carry on and get those big ones.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Oh get a sense of humour rocky dennis.

Latham chucking his wicket away after reaching 30 is almost reaching early-Guptill status.
The key moment against all spinners, and this will dissapoint daemon as I am going to draw upon my own cricketing experiences, is the moment when you realise mid on and mid off are too close to take singles to. You must be able to milk a spinner. Latham in this inning and Corey in the 1st inning were attempting to force the field back to the rope to open up the opportunity for singles.

It takes balls of steel and real courage when the moment arrives when you have to go over the top. You need to practice it in the nets consistently.

I think what I am getting out of this match is that Nathan Lyon is one of the premier spin bowlers in the world. Superb control and superb flight that makes it hard to loft him over the top.

Nothing wrong with Latham's idea although possibly like the commentators said he should have bailed out when it wasn't there.

I realise you weren't directly talking about this but you were roughly on this topic.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, nothing necessarily wrong with trying to loft the spinner in a situation like this, but shot selection and execution are everything. Let himself and NZ down by not picking the right ball for the shot.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I like Latham so much but his conversion problems are concerning. It's good that he frequently gets starts and makes a decent score since that helps the team out greatly as an opener, but fmd he needs to carry on and get those big ones.
Karunaratne-esque.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, nothing necessarily wrong with trying to loft the spinner in a situation like this, but shot selection and execution are everything. Let himself and NZ down by not picking the right ball for the shot.
Agreed. Although you need to decide very early after he lets it go whether it is on.

vandem

International 12th Man
The key moment against all spinners, and this will dissapoint daemon as I am going to draw upon my own cricketing experiences, is the moment when you realise mid on and mid off are too close to take singles to. You must be able to milk a spinner. Latham in this inning and Corey in the 1st inning were attempting to force the field back to the rope to open up the opportunity for singles.

It takes balls of steel and real courage when the moment arrives when you have to go over the top. You need to practice it in the nets consistently.

I think what I am getting out of this match is that Nathan Lyon is one of the premier spin bowlers in the world. Superb control and superb flight that makes it hard to loft him over the top.

Nothing wrong with Latham's idea although possibly like the commentators said he should have bailed out when it wasn't there.
Agree about forcing field back in ODI games and sometimes in tests, but don't see the need to do this in a test where you are batting for the draw and managing to work the spinner for some singles (Latham 11 (39) vs Lyon before dismissal) and have one of their quicks struggling with a ankle injury. With a 200+ run lead the NZers would have needed to hit several over the top before Smith dropped the field back, especially after getting Guptill early in the innings. So I think the risk / reward equation means you shelve hitting the spinner in the air unless he bowls a half-tracker.

Last edited: