• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand 2016

cnerd123

likes this
Aust batting averages vs NZ and WI this season, including 1st innings here:

Warner, 823 runs @ 82
Khawaja 644 runs @ 128
SMarsh 233 runs @ 77
Smith 566 runs @ 70

Voges bats lower in the order than these.

He's playing well but there is an element of downhill skiing in all of his centuries apart from his match-winning debut innings in WI.
Still takes quite some effort and skill to downhill ski with an average of a 100 tbh. Not a lot of batsmen manage to do that.

I don't like people refusing to acknowledge that he is playing well simply because the stats seem inflated. You did acknowledge it tho, so fair enough.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Aust batting averages vs NZ and WI this season, including 1st innings here:

Warner, 823 runs @ 82
Khawaja 644 runs @ 128
SMarsh 233 runs @ 77
Smith 566 runs @ 70

Voges bats lower in the order than these.

He's playing well but there is an element of downhill skiing in all of his centuries apart from his match-winning debut innings in WI.
Wrong, it takes guts to be not out, something NZ batsmen will never understand

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Looking forward to the inevitable TJB evolution from "Adam Voges is the greatest since Bradman" to "These pitches are a disgrace and the only reason Australia lost so many wickets was because of bad luck" a la every Aus tour thread.
still waiting for this to inevitably happen

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Voges is literally god, time to think of a new avatar for Hurricane
I think I have a legit case to ask for a do over on the bet given he was out for some score like 7 or 8 last night :ph34r:

Cograts to the man, and yes you win the bet. However I think him averaging 100 by the way is the worst thing that could ever happen to the bloke. All across the Internet people are going to be saying "But he simply isn't that good and should be averaging in the 40s at best". I can also see him getting some left handed comments in real life to his face. "So you're better than the Don aye?" etc. He has put himself inadvertantly in the spotlight where in reality he is "only" a regulation test match standard batsman.

I didn't come into the thread to disparage Don Voges. I actualy came into the thread to talk about Usman's innings and the significance of him being a part of the Australian set up.

Two eldery Australians behind me at the game today don't like the cut of his jib. "I hear he doesn't fit into the team environment and opts out of all the social activities." Then they grumbled some more about him for 2 or 3 minutes.
And I thought to myself in a small way he is breaking some new ground for Australians and he is an important role model for youngsters.

He batted on and on, and didn't look like getting out. Finally he tonned up. The crowd gave him a standing ovation as we often do at the basin for good innings (I didn't rise for Don Voges nor did the people around me), and then something caught my eye. On the opposite end of the ground on the bank were a group of 30-40 Australians who had made the trip over.
And they had come prepared with giant Australian Flags. Surrounded by drunk Kiwis on the bank politely applauding Usman were these proud Australians waving national flags for him. And they waved them as high as they could, with as much gusto as they could, and with as much pride as they could. And it was a moment you couldn't script and that was better than watching a Hollywood movie.
Those Australians on the bank made a statement with those flags fluttering in the wind. "He is one of us" "He is an Ocker" "He is our number 3 batsman."

Well played those fans for my moment of the day.

TheJediBrah

I think I have a legit case to ask for a do over on the bet given he was out for some score like 7 or 8 last night :ph34r:

Cograts to the man, and yes you win the bet. However I think him averaging 100 by the way is the worst thing that could ever happen to the bloke. All across the Internet people are going to be saying "But he simply isn't that good and should be averaging in the 40s at best". I can also see him getting some left handed comments in real life to his face. "So you're better than the Don aye?" etc. He has put himself inadvertantly in the spotlight where in reality he is "only" a regulation test match standard batsman.

I didn't come into the thread to disparage Don Voges. I actualy came into the thread to talk about Usman's innings and the significance of him being a part of the Australian set up.

Two eldery Australians behind me at the game today don't like the cut of his jib. "I hear he doesn't fit into the team environment and opts out of all the social activities." Then they grumbled some more about him for 2 or 3 minutes.
And I thought to myself in a small way he is breaking some new ground for Australians and he is an important role model for youngsters.

He batted on and on, and didn't look like getting out. Finally he tonned up. The crowd gave him a standing ovation as we often do at the basin for good innings (I didn't rise for Don Voges nor did the people around me), and then something caught my eye. On the opposite end of the ground on the bank were a group of 30-40 Australians who had made the trip over.
And they had come prepared with giant Australian Flags. Surrounded by drunk Kiwis on the bank politely applauding Usman were these proud Australians waving national flags for him. And they waved them as high as they could, with as much gusto as they could, and with as much pride as they could. And it was a moment you couldn't script and that was better than watching a Hollywood movie.
Those Australians on the bank made a statement with those flags fluttering in the wind. "He is one of us" "He is an Ocker" "He is our number 3 batsman."

Well played those fans for my moment of the day.
Obviously an average of 100 is extremely flattering, but interesting to see how massively underrated he still is despite everything.

I've said it before, but I'm genuinely interested in when people are going to realise that he actually is quite good.

Flem274*

123/5
Dear Cricket,

I would like to apologise on behalf of all New Zealanders for producing Fiery, Blocky and Kiwiviktor talking about Australia/Kane Williamson. This was very poor of us, and we are very very sorry cross our hearts hope to die.

Now would you please call the dogs (Australia) off? Because watching a team that competed well and won tests in England and the UAE get thrashed by one of the lesser (that's no insult btw Cricket, they're not quite Waugh's team) Australian sides to tour our shores is not very nice. It's not like Australia doesn't deserve a national comeuppance for producing many of it's fans and players either, so all I ask as an act of good faith is a 7 test tour of India is scheduled pronto.

Regards,
Phlegm

P.S. Make sure Danny Morrison commentates on that 7 test tour churrrr

OverratedSanity

LolNZ. As said previously in the thread, I don't see them saving this. Doing it against India and sri lanka from the positions they were in was amazing, but they're not doing it against Australia. Hope they do, though.

I don't think NZ can even blame the conditions that much for the bowling performance. I saw only parts of the day's play but there always seemed atleast a little bit of swing on offer.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Haha Fiery, I'd forgotten about him. I remember him arguing that Jacob Oram was a better cricketer in all formats than Shane Watson, and that Brett Lee should be banned because he bowled beamers on purpose. Bless his departed soul.

Flem274*

123/5
trust me he's much better/worse now. left his kids in nz for some dutch bird he met online.

go to cribbs hell hole for a look.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
So wait, are you saying his innings was not good? I don't get it. How does one make a bad 176 not out?
By doing it off a second life. For example, once Guptil made an 80 I didn't rate after he got caught at second slip on 7. He was reprieved by the umpire due it being a no ball. For the over proceeding the chance he gave he looked clueless against Zaheer, after he got a life he kicked it up a notch. So that is one reason not to rate an inning because you simply didn't deserve to score a century. By all rights Voges should have been out. Innings that are full of chances are rated by no one and he more than gave a chance.

Secondly I think that with better bowling plans we would have made it impossible for him to score out side off stump since he is so limited and he would should have had him out. He scored his runs through inept field settings and non existent bowling plans by our think tank. The thinktank comprises of McCullum.

Thirdly it was a relatively flat deck.

Lastly - I am not actually saying his inning wasn't "good". At the end of the day I rose for Usman's inning because it was pure class. I didn't rise for Adam's because it was a run of the mill century and he doesn't play for my team.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
trust me he's much better/worse now. left his kids in nz for some dutch bird he met online.

go to cribbs hell hole for a look.
Dat forehead.

He's hilarious. Can we please have him pack on CW? Pretty please? I want to see him try to convince everyone here that he can bowl 130 kmph.