• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand 2016

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't get this self doubt ****.

Did everyone's mum's forget to tell them how handsome they are or something? So weird.
Sub/unconscious thing imo, a mental barrier. One could just as easily argue it ultimately comes down to skill, but the amount of times we've slipped in tests when we've been in good position vs. Aust over the years has me leaning towards the former.

vcs

Kiwi quicks need to not get carried away with the short stuff if they get the advantage of bowling first on a green surface. Happened recently, but SL were too **** to capitalize on it.

Zinzan

Kiwi quicks need to not get carried away with the short stuff if they get the advantage of bowling first on a green surface. Happened recently, but SL were too **** to capitalize on it.
Thing I've most hated about our green day 1 home wickets in recent years is we almost invariably lose the toss and never get first crack to exploit it.

Flem274*

123/5
it would be nice if the record breaking middle order partnership at the basin involving watling and a mate happened in the first innings this year

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Don't confuse Tests with ODIs though. We find it much tougher to win tests vs. Aust for obvious reasons and the way we slipped & how heads went down after being in that very strong position in Adelaide prior to that harsh Lyon non-decision was a demonstration of that self-doubt.
I agree that the skill gap is much more ruthlessly exposed in Tests than in ODIs. That's why they've traditionally been harder to win, because we've traditionally been less skilled.

Right now, though, if I look at the 11 Aussie players and the 11 Kiwi players I don't see a gap in skill. Our team is as good as theirs at the moment. If you doubt this, look at the betting markets. Right now on BetFair the BCs are paying $2.54 and Aussie $2.46. Our brothers across the ditch would call that "a bee's dick" of difference. If you take into account that the patriotic betting phenomenon favours the team with the larger supporter pool, in this case Australia, that means it's probably as close to even as it's been since Hadlee's days.

I don't see any self-doubt in this BCs team, and obviously there's none in the Aussie side. Whoever takes their opportunities the best will win this series.

Flem274*

123/5
4. Nicholls
8. Markurial Craig
10. Southee returning from injury
11. Boult bowling **** post-injury

yeah look KV this is probably the best scenario that had a realistic likelihood of happening for Australia to smash the living daylights out of the current NZ team in NZ short of Kane going down injured as well.

if they can't win at the basin this weekend then smith's team will be underdogs against kanes team in NZ for a while.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Brad Haddin moves on from troll who plays cricket to troll who writes about cricket

"I know from personal experience that we faced numerous New Zealand teams in the past that, deep down, were not sure if they believed they could beat us. Under Brendon, belief has grown enormously within New Zealand cricket, but those little demons of self-doubt will still be there in some form."

Brad Haddin: Australia should not take their eye off winning the series against New Zealand | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo
WTF is trolling about that? Perfectly reasonable paragraph, in fact absolutely true.

Zinzan

I agree that the skill gap is much more ruthlessly exposed in Tests than in ODIs. That's why they've traditionally been harder to win, because we've traditionally been less skilled.

Right now, though, if I look at the 11 Aussie players and the 11 Kiwi players I don't see a gap in skill. Our team is as good as theirs at the moment. If you doubt this, look at the betting markets. Right now on BetFair the BCs are paying $2.54 and Aussie $2.46. Our brothers across the ditch would call that "a bee's dick" of difference. If you take into account that the patriotic betting phenomenon favours the team with the larger supporter pool, in this case Australia, that means it's probably as close to even as it's been since Hadlee's days.

I don't see any self-doubt in this BCs team, and obviously there's none in the Aussie side. Whoever takes their opportunities the best will win this series.
Yeah but it's the home advantage that's caused NZ to be close with the bookies, yet still not favourites... If the series was starting in Australia tomorrow I'd say Aust would be paying around $1.9 to win and NZ well overs $3s

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I agree that Boult was poor in Australia, but he looked every bit the world No. 1 ranked bowler in the ODI series. I stand by my prediction that Boult will make Steve Smith his bunny on seaming wickets.

Nicholls has done pretty well so far. Obviously he's a big step down from Taylor but it should only be one test anyway.

Not worried either about Southee returning from injury. I thought he has had more than enough cricket this year and will be better for a rest anyway.

Hard to think of something positive to say about Craig though. Perhaps I'll say I like the troll element of someone as limited as Craig bowling to guys like Warner. I loved the old McMillan/Tendulkar duels.

Zinzan

I agree that Boult was poor in Australia, but he looked every bit the world No. 1 ranked bowler in the ODI series.
Really? Great return in the 1st with his 3-38, even if he was damn lucky Warner didn't review that LBW & got spanked in the 2nd ODI with 1/66 off 9 overs, would hardly say that's looking every bit the worlds no.1 ranked bowler.

Why not just say he had one good performance and one poor which is what actually happen? :mellow:

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
May say I'm quietly relieved Aust have opted to go with Bird ahead of Pattinson.
If Bird's bowling well that eliminates any chance Guptill has of carrying over some ODI form. Not that I'd expect it anyway...but it's not necessarily great.

Zinzan

If Bird's bowling well that eliminates any chance Guptill has of carrying over some ODI form. Not that I'd expect it anyway...but it's not necessarily great.
Don't get me wrong I do rate Bird and his height could well be a crucial factor, just Pattinson freaks the *** out of me. Probably a hangover from what he did against us in 2011 coupled with the knowledge he found form in the Windies test series.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Although if I had my way from those fit and available :ph34r:

1. Guptill
2. Latham
3. Williamson
4. Brownlie
5. McCullum
6. Watling+
7. Astle
8. Wagner
9. Henry
10. Southee
11. Boult
Haha that's probably what I'd want to roll with as well. The batting is just so weak though. As much as I think Tastle could average high 20s batting seven in Test cricket, that's probably not good enough in the same match Ross is out. Maybe Anderson in for Wagner but play Astle anyway?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
yeah Pattinson is a redonkulous bowler in terms of ***eh factor and it's hard to see how he won't be destroying sides regularly when he manages to stay fit.