• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand 2016

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah there's no way that going in with 4.5 seamers + KW would've been a good idea. Losing Santner is a big blow in that respect.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
I'm perfectly happy with the selections, even as an Astle fanboy I'm persuaded by Craig's timely performance. I'd have Wagner for Bracewell though, the only change. IMO Santner's injury should result in a reshuffle that sees Doug miss out, not Wags.

Other than that, I'm happy with selections.

However I think NZ are ripe for the plucking. We look weak.

I'm hoping for Aussie ineptness, or individual (eg Kane) brilliance.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
I'm a Wagner doubter come Wagner convert.

The only thing that scares me more than a Wagnerless attack is a Taylorless middle order.

Flem274*

123/5
Already on the record as saying I wouldn't pick anyone for spin duties. The only real value a spinner has is building pressure by keeping it tight and giving the quicks a rest. You're quite right that there's no obvious candidates for fulfilling this role besides Jeets. Replace Nicholls with Elliot so that we can get some cheap quick overs, and go with 5 quicks (obviously this won't happen but whateva). It's not ideal but it'll have to do.

Also, appreciating the irony of this discussion given that back in the late- Vettori days you were always gagging for 4 quicks while I advocated always playing a spinner.
i wanted Dan at #6. basically the scheme we're pulling with Santa now.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Would much rather have had Sodhi and Henry than Craig and Bracewell, but 90% of the time when I disagree with the selectors I'm wrong anyway.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Yeah if Santner was fit I'd play him rather than Anderson and field Wagner. But we don't have that luxury. Not sure how I feel about Bracewell's selection but if Anderson is the A-R then having 3 left arm quicks in Boult, Wagner and Anderson might be a bit much, especially when Anderson is a poorer version of Wagner in bowling ability.

I guess Bracewell does what Henry doesn't, and Henry does what Southee does. As Southee is pretty much #1 NZ quick still it's no surprise Henry didn't get the nod ahead of Bracewell, who can be labelled a right arm Wagner albeit more economical. So we really have an unfortunate situation which dictates the selection and make up of the team on balance. If you picked the four best bowlers available you'd end up with Southee, Boult, Henry and Wagner, imo.

Last edited:

NZTailender

Although if I had my way from those fit and available :ph34r:

1. Guptill
2. Latham
3. Williamson
4. Brownlie
5. McCullum
6. Watling+
7. Astle
8. Wagner
9. Henry
10. Southee
11. Boult

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Brad Haddin moves on from troll who plays cricket to troll who writes about cricket

"I know from personal experience that we faced numerous New Zealand teams in the past that, deep down, were not sure if they believed they could beat us. Under Brendon, belief has grown enormously within New Zealand cricket, but those little demons of self-doubt will still be there in some form."

Brad Haddin: Australia should not take their eye off winning the series against New Zealand | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Shady Slim

International Coach
the story on an aussie breakfast show's sport segment was the picture of the pitch pre mowing with the headline "green monster"

ha

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Brad Haddin moves on from troll who plays cricket to troll who writes about cricket

"I know from personal experience that we faced numerous New Zealand teams in the past that, deep down, were not sure if they believed they could beat us. Under Brendon, belief has grown enormously within New Zealand cricket, but those little demons of self-doubt will still be there in some form."

Brad Haddin: Australia should not take their eye off winning the series against New Zealand | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo
actually seems like a pretty sensible and insightful statement tbh

not sure why anyone would read it as trolling

Zinzan

@ Zinzan - we've debated this before so I'll just reiterate we have a bit of a philosophical difference with how early we like our hitters in. After the World Cup final I definitely feel more comfortable having the hitters deeper down the order rather than as high as #5.

I also don't rate Latham's keeping. Even when he did it at youth level he didn't stand out and experts didn't care for him, and he hasn't picked up the gloves full time for a while now. I'd rather he concentrate on opening.

I'd rather just hide de Boorder or a good gloveman down the order than use Latham full time. We have a keeper who is test standard on batting alone and many allrounders capable of batting at #6 and one is a full time spin option so we should take advantage of that.

Josh Clarkson might be one to cross our fingers for. He's meant to be more of a batsman judging by his position in under 19 cricket but he's trusted as a bowler for Central Districts and going on footage, he looks one. It would be handy to have Watling in the top 5 doing the Elliott job then three allrounders - two who are better than 5th bowlers - from 6-8.
I did concede that line-up of mine (with Munro, Santner, Anderson & Bracewell batting 5-8) was a touch icy, but with that amount of batting (following the top 4 of Gup, Latham, KW & Taylor) I still doubt we'd get rolled cheaply often if we did lose a few early, and on the occasions the top order click, that middle/lower order could do anything. Also obviously I'm a big Munro fan and honestly don't think he's quite the attacking one-dimensional slugger others seem to think. I think he's better than that, but has just had limited opportunities.

Re: Latham's keeping, I actually thought his glovework looked quite slick on the few occasions I've seen him, so surprised with your reservations, and in ODIs only, I don't think it's all that big an ask.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
actually seems like a pretty sensible and insightful statement tbh

not sure why anyone would read it as trolling
The Irish rugby team, ranked about 6th in the world, has never beaten the All Blacks in over 110 years of trying. Still they play as if they believe they could beat us.

The Black Caps have beaten Australia three times this year alone, including twice in the last fortnight.

The only demons of self-doubt will arise in the mind of Steve Smith when he plays and misses his first seaming delivery.

NZTailender

reckon they'll drop KW
Taranaki Tribune said:
New look Black Caps outfit named for Trans-Tasman Clash

In a shock move, outgoing BLACK CAPS captain Brendon McCullum has dropped himself from what would be his second last test match, against Australia starting tomorrow at the Basin Reserve.
The Taranaki Tribune has learnt that the BLACK CAPS XI will feature 11 changes in total, with coach Mike Hesson looking to a future where "Kiwis will be secure in knowing they have a mediocre team to excuse when they fail to win high pressure, important matches, such as this one versus Australia."
Long-time Test discard Michael Papps has been named captain in a side that will seek to win the Trans-Tasman Trophy for the first time since Australia won it back in the 93-94 season. "I hope that we'll do our country proud, in being thoroughly whipped by an injury hit Australian eleven" he said, locked outside of his home.

The starting eleven to play Australia is as follows:

1. Michael Papps*
2. Jeet Raval
3. Peter Fulton
4. Luke Woodcock
5. Andrew Ellis
6. Anton Devcich
7. Luke Ronchi+
8. Donovan Grobbelaar
9. Marty Kain
10. Michael Bates
11. Seth Rance
itstl

Last edited:

Zinzan

The Irish rugby team, ranked about 6th in the world, has never beaten the All Blacks in over 110 years of trying. Still they play as if they believe they could beat us.

The Black Caps have beaten Australia three times this year alone, including twice in the last fortnight.

The only demons of self-doubt will arise in the mind of Steve Smith when he plays and misses his first seaming delivery.
Don't confuse Tests with ODIs though. We find it much tougher to win tests vs. Aust for obvious reasons and the way we slipped & how heads went down after being in that very strong position in Adelaide prior to that harsh Lyon non-decision was a demonstration of that self-doubt.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I don't get this self doubt ****.

Did everyone's mum's forget to tell them how handsome they are or something? So weird.