• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand 2016

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Wagner, who played in the 2-0 series win over Sri Lanka in December, missed out as McCullum confirmed Doug Bracewell as third seamer, Mark Craig's return as the spinner and allrounder Corey Anderson batting at six.

Canterbury left-hander Henry Nicholls will make his test debut at No 4, between Kane Williamson and McCullum who plays his 100th consecutive test at the Basin Reserve in Wellington.

"It's tough on Wags because he's done such a great job for us, but losing [Mitchell] Santner to injury we have to go in with a spinner. You've got to pick a team for five days and Mark Craig came back into calculations. Otherwise the team picked itself," McCullum said.
Just feel that Bracewell/Craig/Anderson after the opening pair lacks incisiveness.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
Match officials for the series:

1st Test: Kettleborough/Illingworth; TV: Martinesz ; Referee: Broad
2nd Test: Martinesz/Kettleborough; TV: Illingworth ; Referee: Broad

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
In hindsight, how dumb does the selection of both Craig and Santner look in that Adelaide Test? Bin off Craig and pick either of Milne or Henry for h4x on a greentop.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Just feel that Bracewell/Craig/Anderson after the opening pair lacks incisiveness.
Not to mention the opening pair themselves haven't been at their incisive best.

The interesting thing from the McCullum quote was that Wagner pretty much had a spot nailed until Craig was brought in, so Henry was never really a chance of playing. Bit hard to swallow that they'd pick Nicholls on ODI performances but not Henry..oh well.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
In hindsight, how dumb does the selection of both Craig and Santner look in that Adelaide Test? Bin off Craig and pick either of Milne or Henry for h4x on a greentop.
Tbf, Craig did dismiss Smith in the first innings when he was looking well set. It was a troll dismissal, but I doubt Smith would've got out in such a manner to Henry or Wags.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Tbf, Craig did dismiss Smith in the first innings when he was looking well set. It was a troll dismissal, but I doubt Smith would've got out in such a manner to Henry or Wags.
Something something something lateral movement [/kiwiviktor]

Also yeah, nobody had a ****ing clue whether Santner would be up to it or not, so it certainly made some degree of sense at the time. Knowing what we do now, though, I think quite a few people would be comfortable with Rodent as the sole spinner for that match.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member

The interesting thing from the McCullum quote was that Wagner pretty much had a spot nailed until Craig was brought in, so Henry was never really a chance of playing. Bit hard to swallow that they'd pick Nicholls on ODI performances but not Henry..oh well.
Yeah surprising. I guess we shouldn't complain too much about consistency of selection; it's clear they think Bracewell has established himself as a slight preference over Wagner, who is then slightly ahead of Henry. However we also want to win the game and Bracewell's probably not our best chance there unless the pitch turns out to be quite a seamer.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I wanted to make it more cryptic like a proper Kippax post but I just can't help explaining myself.
I can only bring myself to Kippax when I'm actually talking to Kippax, because I know he'll understand anyway.

Your post was gold regardless. Sigged.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

They haven't picked Nicholls on his ODI performances. That's flippant. He averages 105 in 5 FC knocks this year, including two centuries against a touring A Side. Other people - Young, Smith etc - haven't put themselves in the forefront in the selectors' minds. Nicholls did, as I said against a touring side for NZ A which carries extra weight, and looked at home at international level and for the Thunder. So he was picked. Deservedly. I can't think of a case to mount for anyone else.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
They haven't picked Nicholls on his ODI performances. That's flippant. He averages 105 in 5 FC knocks this year, including two centuries against a touring A Side. Other people - Young, Smith etc - haven't put themselves in the forefront in the selectors' minds. Nicholls did, as I said against a touring side for NZ A which carries extra weight, and looked at home at international level and for the Thunder. So he was picked. Deservedly. I can't think of a case to mount for anyone else.
Righto. I forgot completely about the SL A tour and assumed there were hardly any FC performances to go by. So yeah, I take that back. Don't agree with the selection but can't find fault in the reasoning.

Athlai

Not Terrible

Not really, Henry is seen as a new ball bowler and he wouldn't be touching it till the 12th over with a fit Southee and Boult in the team. Nicholls is seen as a middle order bat and there was an opening. Apples and oranges.

I knew this would be the XI we'd go for. I wish we'd just went YOLO and left Craig out for Henry though.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Not really, Henry is seen as a new ball bowler and he wouldn't be touching it till the 12th over with a fit Southee and Boult in the team. Nicholls is seen as a middle order bat and there was an opening. Apples and oranges.

I knew this would be the XI we'd go for. I wish we'd just went YOLO and left Craig out for Henry though.
The Craig selection is the YOLO selection though.

It also fits in with the paradoxically conservative ideals McHesson holds. "Need a spinner for the 5th day" etc even though spinners die in NZ. "Show faith in players" even if they've just been destroyed by the same opposition in the most recent tour. I don't necessarily have a problem with either of these ideals, but there's no way Craig would be left out when you consider that he not only fits into the cheerleader's "be aggressive" chant as well as the Georgie Pie loyalty stamp program.

He's a gun slip fielder though.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I really don't like the idea of four seamers when Anderson's at six. It just seems like a waste.

So is Mark Craig. It's the Basin, if king Jeets can only average 34.82 there in the Plunket Shield against total spuds, then what is Craig going to do?

(This message has been paid for by The Coalition of Craig Doubters)