• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand 2016

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why do New Zealand pitches tend to look very green Day 1 but dry out really quickly to become roads? Is it the soil they use or is it atmospheric conditions? Or is it intentional?

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
Nah.
Aussie came here in the CWC and got destroyed by lateral movement, then they went to England and got destroyed by lateral movement, then they came back here and got destroyed by lateral movement. Well, there's still lateral movement, so I'm not going to predict big scores for Aussie and neither am I going to predict draws.

We've got two bowlers in the top 10, they've got one, and Henry appears to have given up on his dalliance with short rubbish and gone back to being really good.

I'd say Aussie were favourites by a cigarette paper.
The green pitches in NZ over promise and under deliver regarding lateral movement. So if you're betting the house on there being enough lateral movement for the BC's to destroy Australia then you're foolish and need to learn to hedge your bets.

Something that's often bugged me is the reliance of using career averages to talk up how great a player is. I'm much more interested in viewing recent averages over say, 12 months vs 4 years.

We have two bowlers in the top 10 - that's great, but they're certainly not there based on their most recent test matches. During the recent tour of Australia, Boult took three tests to begin to look like his old self. Southee, while considered unlucky at times, was pretty poor.

When in form, Boult and Southee are two of the best opening bowlers; when out of form they float the ball up and when out of form and with no swing, then they're very hittable.

Zinzan

my thoughts on the odi team post T20 world cup (where elliott will probably sign off) are

gup
latham
kane
ross
watling (wk)
santner
anderson (or neesh or munro depending on fitness/preference)
four pace bowlers of your choice or sodhi and three pace bowlers
I prefer...

Latham +
Gups
KW
Taylor
Munro
Santner
Anderson
Bracewell
Milne
Henry
Sodhi

Tons of batting and bowling options.

Edit: I forgot about Boult, so if it's a seamers track Bracewell plays and it a spinners track Sodhi

Last edited:

Zinzan

^ Or if sponge cake fans wanted more cake in the middle, you could look at floating Latham down the order given he has the gloves. Although I think the amount of batting options in that XI allows for shared sponge cake.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Nah

Guptill
Latham
KW
Taylor
Elliott
Watling+
Munro/Anderson
Santner
Milne
Henry
Boult/Southee/Sodhi/Wh33ler/Mitch/Nuttall/Rance/Dry/Sua

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Why do New Zealand pitches tend to look very green Day 1 but dry out really quickly to become roads? Is it the soil they use or is it atmospheric conditions? Or is it intentional?
The Basin Reserve in particular is a very windy venue, which I suspect tends to dry out the surface fairly swiftly, especially when games are played under blue skies.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
The Basin Reserve in particular is a very windy venue, which I suspect tends to dry out the surface fairly swiftly, especially when games are played under blue skies.
- a seamy pitch has to have differences in moisture level (hard dry spots and softer spots) for it to really seam (unless you're using a really pronounced seam).
- NZ conditions don't really dry out, so you don't tend to get those big differences. They're there for the first hour or so.
- It's not hot enough to dry out the pitch so:
a) it'll never turn
b) it'll never reverse.

If you want to be a seam bowler in NZ you have to be pretty good at it. Jesse Ryder doesn't take 5-fors in NZ.

Flem274*

123/5
@ Zinzan - we've debated this before so I'll just reiterate we have a bit of a philosophical difference with how early we like our hitters in. After the World Cup final I definitely feel more comfortable having the hitters deeper down the order rather than as high as #5.

I also don't rate Latham's keeping. Even when he did it at youth level he didn't stand out and experts didn't care for him, and he hasn't picked up the gloves full time for a while now. I'd rather he concentrate on opening.

I'd rather just hide de Boorder or a good gloveman down the order than use Latham full time. We have a keeper who is test standard on batting alone and many allrounders capable of batting at #6 and one is a full time spin option so we should take advantage of that.

Josh Clarkson might be one to cross our fingers for. He's meant to be more of a batsman judging by his position in under 19 cricket but he's trusted as a bowler for Central Districts and going on footage, he looks one. It would be handy to have Watling in the top 5 doing the Elliott job then three allrounders - two who are better than 5th bowlers - from 6-8.

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
Interesting to see how Australia does in these conditions. It will finally expose them whether they are flat track bullies. Good luck to Steve Smith.

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
It's a poor Australian bowling attack. Seriously! losing wickets to Boland, Hastings and Marsh? try reading Mustafizur Rahman.
I don't understand how this got an infraction. What's so offensive about it? just stating my opinion, but certain opinions are not allowed here because the truth hurts. Pakpassion and Bangla Cricket are far better sites.

Last edited:

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
I don't understand how this got an infraction. What's so offensive about it? just stating my opinion, but certain opinions are not allowed here because the truth hurts. Pakpassion and Bangla Cricket are far better sites.
It's your truth, brother.

And your truth has this warped Bangladeshi angle to it.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
@ Zinzan - we've debated this before so I'll just reiterate we have a bit of a philosophical difference with how early we like our hitters in. After the World Cup final I definitely feel more comfortable having the hitters deeper down the order rather than as high as #5.

I also don't rate Latham's keeping. Even when he did it at youth level he didn't stand out and experts didn't care for him, and he hasn't picked up the gloves full time for a while now. I'd rather he concentrate on opening.

I'd rather just hide de Boorder or a good gloveman down the order than use Latham full time. We have a keeper who is test standard on batting alone and many allrounders capable of batting at #6 and one is a full time spin option so we should take advantage of that.

Josh Clarkson might be one to cross our fingers for. He's meant to be more of a batsman judging by his position in under 19 cricket but he's trusted as a bowler for Central Districts and going on footage, he looks one. It would be handy to have Watling in the top 5 doing the Elliott job then three allrounders - two who are better than 5th bowlers - from 6-8.
Latham's actually a pretty gun keeper. Really, really athletic, like McCullum was. His hands aren't like full time keepers are and he'll struggle to spin. But as a stand-in option there's probably noone better than him.

And yeah. We may have a test standard opener. He should never keep unless he gets dropped and doesn't have a chance of making it back except as a wicketkeeper.

Oh hey, BJ Watling.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
yeah but those two sites are the best on the internet so it's not really a fair comparison.
Heh, after the Hamilton ODI v Pakistan, a thread started up on pakpassion arguing that the PCB should sue the NZC because the small boundary sizes are unfair. It was glorious.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Heh, after the Hamilton ODI v Pakistan, a thread started up on pakpassion arguing that the PCB should sue the NZC because the small boundary sizes are unfair. It was glorious.
That's one of the stupidest things I've ever read. Right down to the idea that even if it somehow was unfair, suing an organisation purely for the unfairness of it all would make perfect sense.

frustratedstanmarsh.jpg

Burgey

Aussie came here in the CWC and got destroyed by lateral movement, then they went to England and got destroyed by lateral movement, then they came back here and got destroyed by lateral movement. Well, there's still lateral movement, so I'm not going to predict big scores for Aussie and neither am I going
Australia lost that game in the WC by one wicket. They lost the series just completed 2-1. Now I know you say they won the one game because of a "career high score by a number eight", but New Zealand won the third game because of a career best spell by a rank leggie who happened to land two balls in his allotted overs for he first time in his career.

Perspective, please.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Australia lost that game in the WC by one wicket. They lost the series just completed 2-1. Now I know you say they won the one game because of a "career high score by a number eight", but New Zealand won the third game because of a career best spell by a rank leggie who happened to land two balls in his allotted overs for he first time in his career.

Perspective, please.
Crikey.

Nerve touched?!

Last edited:

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
No, not at all really. It's all right for blow ins to think that, but there's been a whole series of posts along this line which have been quite extraordinary.
What are 'blow ins'? I think knowing this could be integral to me grasping your point.

But Aus certainly have a thing or two to prove against the moving ball. That's not to say other teams don't struggle against it, mind. All IMHO.