• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Dhoni greatest OdI cricketer off all-time

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think for a cricketer whose career has spanned a few decades (like Sachin) we need to go deeper in terms of standardising their average/strike rates.Split their careers up into phases and standardise each against the era it was in, rather than standardise the entire career over the its entire duration. Doing so would give us better context to the roles that were required of them at each stage of their career.
Yeah, that's why I said they were basic. If I could convert my Test standardising program into something that could handle ODIs and strike rates, it'd do it like that. Might have a crack today if I have time, but I'm meant to be doing CricSim stuff now that I'm finally free.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Did Viv have a bit of the Ronda Rousey effect going for him? A true generational great looking like a confirmed all time great because the people around him were not as good due to the sport being newish?
no, he was ****ing awesome

cnerd123

likes this
The problem with the 'Ronda Rousey' effect IMO is when people aren't satisfied just acknowledging it exists, but use it as a means to discredit another player's achievements.

Sure the person in question may have not achieved as much if they entered their field at a later stage, and sure they may have had the benefit of weaker/less experienced competition, but it still takes a lot to be the person who raises the bar. If it were easy to break conventions or to be ahead of one's time, then everyone would be doing it. But only very few manage it. It takes something special to recognise that things can be done better, and then actually going out and doing it. You need quite a lot of talent, along with the foresight and bravery.

So sure there might have been a bit of it with Viv, but that shouldn't take away from his career or make his achievements less impressive.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I saw Viv live in the latter part of his career and I've seen plenty of footage of him earlier.

There was no "Rhonda Rousey Effect" or whatever.

He was the greatest. If he'd been around now, he'd completely annihilate 20/20 cricket. He's be worth 4 million in the IPL. The guy was a rare force, and I don't think anyone ever has had the combination of that eye, and that power AND precision.

Sorry, won't sit here while this **** gets spoken about about Viv. There was no "effect". He was the man.

Day Man

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Did Viv have a bit of the Ronda Rousey effect going for him? A true generational great looking like a confirmed all time great because the people around him were not as good due to the sport being newish?
He was the Chris Gayle of his time.

Day Man

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
One can't deny the overwhelming parallels. Gayle will also be playing alongside his buddy Shane at Bangalore this year; just as Viv did with his buddy Ian Botham - the Shane Watson of his time.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
One can't deny the overwhelming parallels. Gayle will also be playing alongside his buddy Shane at Bangalore this year; just as Viv did with his buddy Ian Botham - the Shane Watson of his time.
Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd have to say he'd be up there. Maybe hurt a bit by staying on too long, some ordinary efforts in 2 seperate WC knock up games definitely doesn't help him. But as a batsman + keeper + captain package he has a very strong case.

Reactions: vcs

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I dunno if we can ever realistically pick a single greatest ODI cricketer of all time but he is up there at the topmost bracket for me.

GOAT tier - MSD, Sachin, Viv, Bevan

Rest are below them. Not considering currently active players.

vcs

I would have a bowler or two in there as well. Take your pick out of McGrath/Murali/Garner/Wasim.

TheJediBrah

I dunno if we can ever realistically pick a single greatest ODI cricketer of all time but he is up there at the topmost bracket for me.

GOAT tier - MSD, Sachin, Viv, Bevan

Rest are below them. Not considering currently active players.
I would have a bowler or two in there as well. Take your pick out of McGrath/Murali/Garner/Wasim.
Virat.

& Saqlain > Murali. Still chucked but not as bad

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Largely in consensus. Dhoni is lock in top 10, pushes in top 5 but not GOAT. The last version of CW's ODI cricketer ranking had Dhoni at #6 IIRC.