• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Dhoni greatest OdI cricketer off all-time

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nah.. his name is Jonty. Ponting is a good second shout and I understand but honestly, I just don't think his fielding abilities make him better than the other two, who were no slouches in the field either.
Nah Ponting did it for over 100 more matches than Jonty.

Seriously I would bet that Kohli has dropped more catches in his career already than Ponting has to be honest. He's not even close to Ponting's fielding - his fielding actually turned matches. That one handed catch he took to dismiss Tendulkar at the MCG in 2003/04 ODI series won them the game. There is a large gap in their fielding quality.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Well, I am sure Kohli has dropped many but he has plucked some good ones too. See, I am not arguing Kohli is as good a fielder as Ponting. I just don't think, as good as his fielding was (and Jonty is still the best, btw), it is enough to get him to displace either Viv or Kohli at this point from my ATG XI. Again, These two are not slouches in the field, and in the case of the King, didn't he actually win a WC final with his fielding essentially? Guess we will just agree to disagree on this.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
My philosophy regarding longevity is well-known at this point so I obviously wouldn't be having Kohli anywhere near an ATG XI or better than Ponting just yet, but if I were to play by the sort of criteria you guys loosely do as a group then I think I'd actually agree with honestbharani. I rate Kohli higher right now than I rated Ponting at any point of his ODI career. Regardless of what happens from this point, Kohli will have reached a higher peak as both as an ODI batsman and an overall ODI cricketer (including fielding) for mine.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Since when did I become honestbharani and not hb here, PEWS? :p

And yeah, even I made that admission in an earlier post. IT is just not fair to compare a guy who is playing currently to someone who is already retired. At the end of both their careers would be the best time to do a proper comparison.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
@ Joni:

Goes to show who was the original Kohli fan here, ****. Go pander elsewhere. I was a Kohli fan before it became cool.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My philosophy regarding longevity is well-known at this point so I obviously wouldn't be having Kohli anywhere near an ATG XI or better than Ponting just yet, but if I were to play by the sort of criteria you guys loosely do as a group then I think I'd actually agree with honestbharani. I rate Kohli higher right now than I rated Ponting at any point of his ODI career. Regardless of what happens from this point, Kohli will have reached a higher peak as both as an ODI batsman and an overall ODI cricketer (including fielding) for mine.
You actually dont agree with honestbharani. The only reason I was arguing with him was because he said that Ponting "wasn't in the running " to be in an ATG XI. That's utterly absurd. You can rate Kohli higher than Ponting as a batsman (as I do) and you can even rate him a better overall ODI cricketer (again, I probably do as well),but to say that Ponting isn't even in the debate is silly.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You actually dont agree with honestbharani. The only reason I was arguing with him was because he said that Ponting "wasn't in the running " to be in an ATG XI. That's utterly absurd. You can rate Kohli higher than Ponting as a batsman (as I do) and you can even rate him a better overall ODI cricketer (again, I probably do as well),but to say that Ponting isn't even in the debate is silly.

Depends on how you define "in the running". As I said, if I Have a fit squad of 15, I will always pick Kohli and Viv before him and those are the two slots he can get into the side at. Anyways this is done to death. I am out.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I mean, the best you can say for them is that they made some critical contributions at vital times (particularly Zaheer and, somehow, Yuvraj), despite not being that good overall. Which, of course, speaks very highly of how they were led and captained.
They were good at home and Zaheer was in those few years where he was on par with the best pace bowlers in the world, and clutch as hell.

It wasn't a masterstroke of captaining for that team to get to the final, they were in the top 3-4 teams and they had great players who showed up when it mattered. I'm not saying he wasn't a good captain, just not enough of a great captain to have been the difference for that alone (or rather, in great part). The other players showed up, that's how I explain it. They always had the batsmen and their bowling attack clicked when it mattered.

I think it's a bit too much credit given to Dhoni for 2011 who largely was MIA until the final. It's the only WC knock he has of note as well. It's all well and good to talk about his positives, let's balance it out a bit. Or is that an agenda? 8-)

Last edited:

vcs

Kohli's peak was pretty incredible. There was a period between 2012 to early 2014 where it seemed a Kohli century was a given every time we were chasing. I particularly remember his century in the first ODI against NZ in the series where India lost 4-0. IIRC it was his first ton where India ended up losing the match, but he nearly dragged them home by sheer force of will when everyone else was floundering against short-pitched bowling. Probably my favourite Kohli innings (and there's been a lot to choose from). I think there's an argument that his ODI peak even surpasses Tendulkar's.

91Jmay

International Coach
Kevin Pietersen's first 30 or so games for England were pretty awesome IIRC. Think it was the best extended run I've seen an England player go on.

vcs

They were good at home and Zaheer was in those few years where he was on par with the best pace bowlers in the world, and clutch as hell.

It wasn't a masterstroke of captaining for that team to get to the final, they were in the top 3-4 teams and they had great players who showed up when it mattered. I'm not saying he wasn't a good captain, just not enough of a great captain to have been the difference for that alone (or rather, in great part). The other players showed up, that's how I explain it. They always had the batsmen and their bowling attack clicked when it mattered.

I think it's a bit too much credit given to Dhoni for 2011 who largely was MIA until the final. It's the only WC knock he has of note as well. It's all well and good to talk about his positives, let's balance it out a bit. Or is that an agenda? 8-)
He played some good knocks in 2015 also (against WI and Zimbabwe), though he struggled to accelerate coming in late in the matches where India batted first.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Very good player, excellent captain but best of all time? Think King Viv would have something to say about that...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

I don't think anyone said that though? The responses about the 2011 WC, the 2013 Champions Trophy were in response to someone suggesting he wasn't a good ODI captain. No one is saying he alone won the WC and CT.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I did some basic ones and wrote an article about it years ago:
Standardised ODI Batting Performances | Cricket Web

Probably wouldn't take much to tweak my Test standardised averages program into an ODI version that incorporated strike rates either, tbh.
Intriguing list. Would be interested to see it updated because I reckon that a SR of 90-odd achieved in the last few years (hello Hashim Amla) is less impressive than back in Tendulkar's day.

Viv's SR quite, well, striking.

indiaholic

International Captain
Did Viv have a bit of the Ronda Rousey effect going for him? A true generational great looking like a confirmed all time great because the people around him were not as good due to the sport being newish?

cnerd123

likes this
I think for a cricketer whose career has spanned a few decades (like Sachin) we need to go deeper in terms of standardising their average/strike rates.Split their careers up into phases and standardise each against the era it was in, rather than standardise the entire career over the its entire duration. Doing so would give us better context to the roles that were required of them at each stage of their career.