• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand 2016

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
1. Warner
2. Khawaja
3. MMarsh [5]
4. Smith *
5. Bailey
6. Maxwell [6]
7. Faulkner [4]
8. Whiteman +
9. Hastings [3]
10. Starc [1]
11. Hazlewood [2]

12. Agar

Leave Nev to play Shield cricket during the ODI summers, and get him playing CC in winter rather than pissing about batting #8 in a format he's wholly unsuited to. Plus this gives Whiteman international experience (admittedly pissing around batting #8) so there's some post-Nev succession planning going on already.

And screw Zampa, Agar takes the Hastings spot when they feel the need to play a spinner, and keeps up the h4x batting depth.

I liked MMarsh having a crack at #3 in that tri-series and think he can make it his own, plus it'll do wonders for his Test game IMO. If it doesn't work in JAMODIs, readjust a year out from the World Cup or something.

Spark

Global Moderator
I'm not convinced he's the best spinner available tbh. I was just using him as code for 'whichever random spinner they've chucked in the squad on the day'. He deserves a run for now though.
Haha, I mean, if they're not gonna pick Lyon...

1. Warner
2. Khawaja
3. MMarsh [5]
4. Smith *
5. Bailey
6. Maxwell [6]
7. Faulkner [4]
8. Whiteman +
9. Hastings [3]
10. Starc [1]
11. Hazlewood [2]

12. Agar

Leave Nev to play Shield cricket during the ODI summers, and get him playing CC in winter rather than pissing about batting #8 in a format he's wholly unsuited to. Plus this gives Whiteman international experience (admittedly pissing around batting #8) so there's some post-Nev succession planning going on already.

And screw Zampa, Agar takes the Hastings spot when they feel the need to play a spinner, and keeps up the h4x batting depth.

I liked MMarsh having a crack at #3 in that tri-series and think he can make it his own, plus it'll do wonders for his Test game IMO. If it doesn't work in JAMODIs, readjust a year out from the World Cup or something.
Nah this is excessive IMO. Down that low you're basically just hoping for occasional slogging at best, which is what Zampa can provide.

I do like the MMarsh in the top four idea though, particularly at home. He certainly has the talent to do it.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
tbh I rate Agar a better chance of being a consistently international-class white ball bowler than Zampa. Agree Zampa's more likely to slog from #9 really well, but he's also more likely to go for 0/85 (without, imo, the sufficient upside to continue picking him).

Realistically the LO spinner is a complete lottery at the moment, and depends on whether you want a strike spinner or a support bowler.

Spark

Global Moderator
tbh I rate Agar a better chance of being a consistently international-class white ball bowler than Zampa. Agree Zampa's more likely to slog from #9 really well, but he's also more likely to go for 0/85 (without, imo, the sufficient upside to continue picking him).

Realistically the LO spinner is a complete lottery at the moment, and depends on whether you want a strike spinner or a support bowler.
If we're going to stick with Maxwell then I want a strike spinner. You don't have to bowl the full 10 if he starts getting carted, which is the beauty of having six bowlers capable of a full allotment.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Yeah it's genuinely hard to pick an order for all of 5-8. I'd just use them in a floating basis tbh, and just send out whoever is most suited to whatever situation.
Yeah you saw today that sending Maxwell out at 5 ahead of Marsh was probably a mistake.

I've thought for a long time that ODI teams haven't fully utilised the potential of having a highly flexible batting order. To my mind, past first drop or two down there almost shouldn't even be a batting order, just a matter of sending in the player whose skillset is best suited to the tactical and strategic needs of the team at the time.

Either that or seperate the batting lineup into 'batsmen' and 'hitters' and you send in batsmen until a wicket falls after over 40-45 and then you just send in a parade of hitters.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah you saw today that sending Maxwell out at 5 ahead of Marsh was probably a mistake.

I've thought for a long time that ODI teams haven't fully utilised the potential of having a highly flexible batting order. To my mind, past first drop or two down there almost shouldn't even be a batting order, just a matter of sending in the player whose skillset is best suited to the tactical and strategic needs of the team at the time.

Either that or seperate the batting lineup into 'batsmen' and 'hitters' and you send in batsmen until a wicket falls after over 40-45 and then you just send in a parade of hitters.
This is more or less what Clarke did with Maxwell. Just sent him in whenever he felt the team needed quick runs.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
This is more or less what Clarke did with Maxwell. Just sent him in whenever he felt the team needed quick runs.
Yeah that's why I was surprised to see him come in ahead of Marsh today. Quick runs were definitely not important at that time.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
The Australians intimidated Walker into giving that Milne lbw. I hope Smith loses his match fee for his disgraceful conduct in this match.
While I rolled my eyes at this at the time, some of the things I've heard since make me kinda agree a bit with the later part of this. I heard that Smith apparently said within earshot of Walker that he was the worst umpire in the world more than once. If so, then that's really inappropriate, and Smith deserves some censure for it.

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah players like Maxwell and Buttler are basically unique and should be treated as such. Their position in the batting order is determined entirely by situation.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Feel the same about Corey Anderson too, he really shouldn't be coming out to bat earlier than the 35th over unless it can be helped (at least in his current state).

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
While I rolled my eyes at this at the time, some of the things I've heard since make me kinda agree a bit with the later part of this. I heard that Smith apparently said within earshot of Walker that he was the worst umpire in the world more than once. If so, then that's really inappropriate, and Smith deserves some censure for it.
The reason I wrote that is because when a wide was bowled shortly after that and not given, I clearly heard Smith say, easily loud enough for the umpire to hear, "another terrible decision."

To my mind that sort of psychological bullying amounts to umpire intimidation.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Feel the same about Corey Anderson too, he really shouldn't be coming out to bat earlier than the 35th over unless it can be helped (at least in his current state).
I feel the opposite.

The more time in JAMODIs he gets the better.

I have seen him play some decent innings where he looked like he had a plan.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I feel the opposite.

The more time in JAMODIs he gets the better.

I have seen him play some decent innings where he looked like he had a plan.
Yeah, I guess it's good for his development as a player. Nonetheless, I can't deny that he doesn't give me much confidence at the moment when walking out to bat inside the first 30 overs.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yep this series has convinced me that the way ahead is to allow the on-field umpires to refer when they're not sure. And if they make a mistake and fire a batsmen, then the 3rd umpire should be able to step in and notify them that an error has occured and overturn the original decision. DRS is better than nothing, but it's still not enough as we've seen here.
IIRC this was trialled in the ODI domestics here in Australia and really sucked.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
The reason I wrote that is because when a wide was bowled shortly after that and not given, I clearly heard Smith say, easily loud enough for the umpire to hear, "another terrible decision."

To my mind that sort of psychological bullying amounts to umpire intimidation.
Yeah, it's a pity, because I like Smith as a player and a bloke - I thought his comments on the decision making process for Marsh were measured and fair - but he clearly lost his head for a while out there. It's not OK to just dig into the umpires when a close call goes against you. At the very least he should apologise to Walker if he hasn't already.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Almost every non-bowled dismissal was like a no-ball wicket review.

I must admit I didn't watch that many games that season, so others will be better equipped to comment. THey obviously stopped doing it so they didn't feel it worked.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, that's a risk. I guess I was thinking that if Umpire's new that the 3rd umpire was still there acting as a safety net for howlers, they'd be more inclined to trust their judgment and only go upstairs when they're really uncertain.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Almost every non-bowled dismissal was like a no-ball wicket review.

I must admit I didn't watch that many games that season, so others will be better equipped to comment. THey obviously stopped doing it so they didn't feel it worked.
except the onus is on the batsman to make a scene and walk off very slowly to give time for the replay, instead of the umpire calling for the review straight away