• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Dhoni greatest OdI cricketer off all-time

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I mean he had Nehra in the 2011 semi and Sreesanth and Munaf in the 2011 final. Hardly world-beaters. Nehra actually was good in the semi and would have played the final bar injury, but he basically relied on Zaheer who was quality, and Ashwin and Yuvraj who knew the conditions.
Let's get a grip here. India bowl well at home and in that WC were doing really good. Dhoni himself got carried because he did jack-diddly until the final.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
It's amazing how everyone seems to highlight the longevity of a player in test matches but not in limited overs. Like honestly, having similar averages and stats doesn't mean that two players are equal. Longevity matters just as much and that's why I don't get super excited when some player has crazy good stats and he's only played like 100 odd games in limited overs. Yuvraj for example is a far greater limited overs player than some guys who have better looking stats.

I rate a player based on how he was able to evolve as a player, Dhoni went from early innings hitter to a master chaser because the team demanded it, not because he wasn't good enough to bat and make big centuries at the top. He averages 69 striking at 99 batting at 3-4 collectively.

He was MOTS in SL 2008 when Murali and Mendis were causing chaos on spin friendly wickets. Beat SL in SL, WI in WI, Aus in Aus, Eng in Eng, NZ in NZ and almost beat SA in SA. This is apart from winning the Asia Cup, WC, CT and making the semis of 2015 WC. The guys a legit great in limited overs in all facets of his game.

Tendulkar also a huge shout for greatest ODI cricketer, the guy played 450+ ODI games featuring in 6 WC's! Like honestly an average of 45 striking at 86 over 450 games? I'd take that any day of the week lol. 150+ ODI wickets too, which is a footnote compared to the rest of his career.

Jayasuria a massive should too for similar reasons as Tendulkar.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Standardised SRs is probably the interesting one for ODIs more than averages.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
not really tbh
Yeah pretty sure that bowling lineup couldn't defend 300 million vs England and slightly less vs south Africa.

Indian bowling attack copped a fair bit during that tournament. But ikki can say whatever he likes to suit hid agenda I guess *shrug*

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I am not exactly saying that though. I am just saying that when it comes to picking the actual XI, I wont probably need him as there are two others who do the same role as him, better. He will be in my XV for sure as the first back up middle order batsman. Of course, Virat's career is nowhere near its end, so it is probably unfair to compare him to someone who's career is done. Remember how Ponting was next only to Bradman at a certain stage of his career? So I am sure it is still possible for Ponting to end up being a better ODI batsman than Virat. But if I am allowed to pick the Virat of today, then I will surely not need Punter in my ATG ODI XI.
Yes you will, because virat hasn't done what ponting has done. Be the greatest fielder in odi history

indiaholic

International Captain
Ponting and Symonds simultaneously inside the circle was probably the scariest fielding combination of all time.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yes you will, because virat hasn't done what ponting has done. Be the greatest fielder in odi history

Nah.. his name is Jonty. Ponting is a good second shout and I understand but honestly, I just don't think his fielding abilities make him better than the other two, who were no slouches in the field either.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah pretty sure that bowling lineup couldn't defend 300 million vs England and slightly less vs south Africa.

Indian bowling attack copped a fair bit during that tournament. But ikki can say whatever he likes to suit hid agenda I guess *shrug*
I mean, the best you can say for them is that they made some critical contributions at vital times (particularly Zaheer and, somehow, Yuvraj), despite not being that good overall. Which, of course, speaks very highly of how they were led and captained.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
To be fair, thought Harbhajan was immense in the semi and Ashwin was bloody good in the quarters on a rather flat deck.

indiaholic

International Captain
Kinda sad we don't have good fielding statistics. This Virat vs Ponting discussion wouldn't even be a thing.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Dhoni is one of the captains who has made the best out of the scant resources he has had... I clump him with Ranatunga, Border and a few others I am not able to recall immediately. But that is some fine company for any captain.

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah Ranatunga is one of the most important players in modern cricket history in many ways. Feel like he almost single-handedly and bloody-mindedly gave Sri Lanka that nasty street fighter edge that helped them develop their cricket and become a legit world team. Underrated ODI batsmen as well.