• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Dhoni greatest OdI cricketer off all-time

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Gilchrist
Tendulkar
Richards
Kohli
DeVilliers
Symonds
Kapil
Wasim
Garner
McGrath
Murali

Red

Kills me leaving Ponting out but I think Kohli has now gone next level.

Red

You should be killed for leaving Bevan out; then reincarnated and killed again for leaving Punter out.
Bevan has no place in any ODI ATG I ever select. I'd have Hussey over him any day in that same sort of role if I wanted that role in my team.

Slifer

International Captain
There's no Bradman equivalent to odi cricket, so I think the best odi player should be the person that best combines the main attributes of odi cricket: fielding, batting, bowling. Then one has to consider stats, performances in major tournaments etc etc. For me, its IVAR all the way

Red

Viv Richards is the GOAT for mine also. His SR for his era was epic. And there's no one I'd prefer the opposition DIDN"T have.

Joel Garner as a bowler.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Good work on the Freddie love. Shame he played with a bunch of ODI numpties for most of his career.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Wish the IPL started earlier and that dream middle order hitting line up of CSK played more games together.. Flintoff, Morkel, Oram and Dhoni...

TNT

Banned
I have watched ODI cricket since inception, there are many players that are greater than Dhoni.

Red

The great thing about Dhoni and Gilchrist and any other keeper who can bat top 6 in LO cricket is that it gives his team much more flexibility with regards to selecting a better 5th bowler. Can pick more of a bowling allrounder as opposed to a batting allrounder.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just read through the thread and it's one of those great ones which highlight how we can grossly underrated the present. Everyone was scoffing at the mere idea of Dhoni being one of the greatest ever. Those saying Dhoni wasn't quite there yet were fair enough, but there are tons of hilariously bad posts here.

Howe_zat

Audio File
To answer the thread title, I think it's fair to say Dhoni has his off days, but harsh to claim it's all the time.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I have watched ODI cricket since inception, there are many players that are greater than Dhoni.
Name three. Don't worry about the thesis. And I can argue Dhoni being better than at least 2 of them. And I'll keep my thesis short.

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Yepp and as a cricketer (given that Dhoni is an allrounder), there is a legitimate case for Dhoni being ahead of all three of them in terms of overall career in the same way that there is a legitimate case for Sobers being a greater cricketer than Bradman and Viv.