• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand 2016

Flem274*

123/5
what clay are they using in Hamilton?

the fast one will suit australia's batsmen and haze etc, the slow one will make maxwell a weapon with the ball. forkers too if he could play.

thierry henry

International Coach
WACA is pretty average size, but the outfield is basically made of Teflon so it plays a lot like a smaller ground.
Eden Park is about 130 x 120 (actual boundaries not total ground dimensions), apparently the WACA is 149 x 139 (total ground dimensions) but I'm guessing that'd be no more than 139 x 129 actual playing area, allowing 5 metres from edge of ground to boundary rope.

EDIT: Btw sorry everyone for doing my thing where I talk about really specific factual points that no other human on Earth cares about

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good post. But I thought the small-grounds thing was always common knowledge. Overseas current players and those who've moved to commentary have toured and played on these grounds enough times over the years. Internet memes are a relatively recent phenomenon, but other than that..how come all the noise now?

NZ sides have turned this into an advantage many times in the past. The most famous example would be Martin Crowe's strategies in the 1992 WC, sending Greatbatch up the order to take advantage of the short boundaries, and also opening the bowling with Patel thus challenging batsmen to take the aerial route with the field up if they were game. Worked a treat against the likes of Srikkanth and Botham. I remember Eden Park wickets in the 90's being mostly slow and low, and sub-200 scores being the norm in ODI's. You needed guys like Larsen and harris to utilize those conditions well. (This is also the reason for Sachins 82(49) in 1994 being one of my favourite ODI knocks)
What a knock that was. First time he was sent up to open as well. Remember watching it on TV wide-eyed in amazement.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I think that the main influence that the boundaries had was on the bowlers rather than the batsmen. From the lengths the Aussies bowled through those first 20 overs, you could clearly see that the short straight boundary was playing on their minds. I know it's hard to keep pitching it up when Guptill sent one of the only good length balls onto the roof of the north stand, but Aus got it badly wrong in that first half of the innings. Henry and Boult then showed the value that was there in having the courage to pitch it up.

Zinzan

Hmm wonder had Australia won if the last 3 pages would have been almost exclusively about the size of Eden Park?

Zinzan

To be fair to them, the discussion was initiated by an Indian fan and involved mostly NZ fans.
I didn't pay too much attention to who started it, but could have predicted in advance it would the topic of conversation if NZ won.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I didn't pay too much attention to who started it, but could have predicted in advance it would the topic of conversation if NZ won.
Some of it was me. I absolutely despise Eden Park as a cricket ground, but as previously stated that's the bowler in me who wants batsmen to earn runs, not half hit a 50m six off the toe as Ronchi did at one stage.

As with how much it favours us, which it does, I could care absolutely less. That's international cricket. Fans probably quite enjoy the novelty of the small boundaries and we enjoy having such a good record there. But I'll be more into Hamilton and Wellington. Just my viewpoint.

91Jmay

International Coach
Some of it was me. I absolutely despise Eden Park as a cricket ground, but as previously stated that's the bowler in me who wants batsmen to earn runs, not half hit a 50m six off the toe as Ronchi did at one stage.

As with how much it favours us, which it does, I could care absolutely less. That's international cricket. Fans probably quite enjoy the novelty of the small boundaries and we enjoy having such a good record there. But I'll be more into Hamilton and Wellington. Just my viewpoint.
How much less?

Flem274*

123/5
has khawaja been gunning it in domestix limited overs over there? he had a bit of a bad patch in white ball cricket a few years back didn't he? i've still got one of his early one day tons on my computer borrowed from youtube

Gob

International Coach
has khawaja been gunning it in domestix limited overs over there? he had a bit of a bad patch in white ball cricket a few years back didn't he? i've still got one of his early one day tons on my computer borrowed from youtube
Was tearing it apart before the knee injury that put him out of the game for almost a year.