• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand 2016

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
So that indicates one end, the boundaries are 70m? Horse **** they are.
In past games I've noticed that sometimes are the straight boundary is around 70m, which comes at the cost of a 50m fine(?) boundary.

For other games, these last two included, the ground staff have gone for a low 60m-low 60m split.

thierry henry

International Coach
In past games I've noticed that sometimes are the straight boundary is around 70m, which comes at the cost of a 50m fine(?) boundary.

For other games, these last two included, the ground staff have gone for a low 60m-low 60m split.
? Not sure what you mean by this, obviously the straight hit is always 20 metres more than the fine one due to the length of the pitch.

Pretty sure the pitch is basically smack bang in the middle and it's about 120 metres end to end. So at either end it's 70m straight and 50m fine.

Spark

Global Moderator
I didn't say they were of similar size, I said Eden Park is primarily regarded as small because of the straight boundaries which are probably only 8-10 metres less than the MCG (at either end...so the difference in length of the entire field for the straight boundaries is probably 15-20m).

In that picture honestly the straight boundaries DON'T look that different, it kinda supports my point.
That's actually a massive difference, all up. Like a 30% difference in terms of area.

Again, it's not about low or high scores, but about the kind of cricket played.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think it was me that started the conversation in this instance, wasn't it? I care how big it is. Cricket shouldn't be played in Auckland until there is a suitable option with the right dimensions. Play T20 there, I don't care. The pitch is great, the amount of swing is great. I just wish they could put a decent f*cking stadium around it. Didn't help us much playing our biggest pool match and the semi-final there in the World Cup, did it?

Or if we want to play on Mickey Mouse grounds, let's have a three-match ODI series with Pukekura, Eden Park and Owen Delaney. That should help our batsmen become better.

Everything about that stadium absolutely sucks. Especially for cricket.

Actually, it was me... :devil2:

But I did not mean it as a slight. I am all for home advantage but I just find it interesting how home teams can utilize the length and dimensions of the ground as an advantage over visiting teams. Its not just pitches, right? The size and even shape of the grounds are things that teams need to adjust to. Just fascinating, that is all. I remember my school used to play all our home games in this one ground which we had leased. The lease stopped in my last year of high school and we had to move to a different common ground with a lot of red soil. Just the fact that the pitch was aligned differently made it such a pain for our team bowlers. And as the keeper I paid the penalty having to dive around both sides and trying to cut down the wides and byes.

thierry henry

International Coach
That's actually a massive difference, all up. Like a 30% difference in terms of area.
30%? No I mean from one end to the other Eden Park is about 120m and the MCG might be 136-140m (assuming a 70m straight hit vs a 78-80m straight hit). So that's about a 12-16% difference.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
30%? No I mean from one end to the other Eden Park is about 120m and the MCG might be 136-140m (assuming a 70m straight hit vs a 78-80m straight hit). So that's about a 12-16% difference.
30% in terms of area, not in terms of boundary length.

30% more field to play in means the fieldsmen are more spread, more gaps, longer distances to run for sweepers. Ergo, working 2s and 3s becomes a bigger component of the game.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Though, conversely, a smaller ground separates the ATG nurdlers from the mediocre ones. Even shunts can work the occasional three on the MCG, but FMD you have to be utterly elite to do that on Eden Park.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
? Not sure what you mean by this, obviously the straight hit is always 20 metres more than the fine one due to the length of the pitch.

Pretty sure the pitch is basically smack bang in the middle and it's about 120 metres end to end. So at either end it's 70m straight and 50m fine.
I'm just going by what I've seen of the graphics in the past. Unless my mind is playing tricks on me, during the Pakistan game the straight readings were both in the 60s. So maybe the pitch isn't always centered.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Though, conversely, a smaller ground separates the ATG nurdlers from the mediocre ones. Even shunts can work the occasional three on the MCG, but FMD you have to be utterly elite to do that on Eden Park.
Streaky mi****s account for a disproportionate amount of threes at Seddon Park.

thierry henry

International Coach
30% in terms of area, not in terms of boundary length.

30% more field to play in means the fieldsmen are more spread, more gaps, longer distances to run for sweepers. Ergo, working 2s and 3s becomes a bigger component of the game.
Got it, I was just talking about the length of the straight boundaries though. I'm not saying the overall playing area of the two grounds is at all comparable. Of course Eden Park is much smaller than the MCG (although somewhat similarly proportioned) as both the straight and square boundaries are smaller.

However this usually tends to get brought up when talking about particular shots going for 4 or 6 and that in each case is to do with the specific length of that point of the boundary. With Eden Park it's usually "straight boundaries are so short" so I'm talking about that aspect. If we're discussing overall playing area, I'm not sure Eden Park is that much smaller than other grounds. Most Australian grounds are long at least one way (Gabba and MCG square, Adelaide straight etc) so the playing area is pretty big, but I've definitely seen plenty of small grounds in countries other than NZ. How big is the WACA btw?

thierry henry

International Coach
I'm just going by what I've seen of the graphics in the past. Unless my mind is playing tricks on me, during the Pakistan game the straight readings were both in the 60s. So maybe the pitch isn't always centered.
That wouldn't be about the pitch being centred though, that would mean the boundaries have been brought in slightly.

If they are both 60-something straight that means they're both 40-something fine. I think that's about right, they are around 48-50 or 68-70 I think.

thierry henry

International Coach
Btw I reckon you also see quite a few guys get out caught squarish in the deep at Eden Park because they think the boundaries are just meme-short and don't consider that the squarer you go the better you need to hit it.

Flem274*

123/5
my favourite thing about eden park is seeing the eyes of batsmen light up and they have a big swing straight down the ground only to miss it, nick it, get castled or caught on the boundary.

if the ball didn't swing so much and often there and the pitch wasn't a bouncy road the games would suck but as it is it's the perfect troll as a cricket ground. the amount of haterade and "400 plays 400 lel" it receives makes me like the playing conditions and dimensions there even more.

Flem274*

123/5
yeah the ground didn't stop grant elliott winning a world cup semi final between third man and cover.

thierry henry

International Coach
Anyway, I think I've made my point that Eden Park isn't even as small as it's made out to be...but that aside, almost all of my best sport-attending moments have been cricket at Eden Park, it just seems to attract great games and great moments, love it, haters can suck it etc.

Spark

Global Moderator
Got it, I was just talking about the length of the straight boundaries though. I'm not saying the overall playing area of the two grounds is at all comparable. Of course Eden Park is much smaller than the MCG (although somewhat similarly proportioned) as both the straight and square boundaries are smaller.

However this usually tends to get brought up when talking about particular shots going for 4 or 6 and that in each case is to do with the specific length of that point of the boundary. With Eden Park it's usually "straight boundaries are so short" so I'm talking about that aspect. If we're discussing overall playing area, I'm not sure Eden Park is that much smaller than other grounds. Most Australian grounds are long at least one way (Gabba and MCG square, Adelaide straight etc) so the playing area is pretty big, but I've definitely seen plenty of small grounds in countries other than NZ. How big is the WACA btw?
WACA is pretty average size, but the outfield is basically made of Teflon so it plays a lot like a smaller ground.