• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in South Africa 2015/16

Gob

International Coach
Not many players have played over a hundred tests and average more than 50. I think his record is fine, just had a poor series by his high standards.
an Average of 51 with 21 100's is pretty good. You expect him to be averaging 60?
I said given his ability. He is, and i've said this several times here, close to the most talented batsman i've seen and considering that he is at the peak of his powers i'd expect him to average in the mid 50s with few more hundreds

jimbags

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I cant believe people are critiscising de villiers, why are people so quick to judge ,also ofcourse de villiers has faults, everyone has faults, it's what makes us human even the don had his faults
He was happy enough criticising Anderson after a couple of poor tests

Spark

Global Moderator
an Average of 51 with 21 100's is pretty good. You expect him to be averaging 60?
I definitely reckon he should have more than 21 hundreds after 100 Tests. Compare that figure to his major contemporaries, for example (e.g. the bloke on 73* right now)

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
He wasnt really critiscising anderson, the press as they so often do made a story where there was none
Oh please. Unless he was suggesting that Broad and Stokes were down on their pace.

It's not that his comment was inaccurate. It's just better left unsaid when you're in front of a microphone unless you want to end up looking silly.

91Jmay

International Coach
So what is the SA target here? 425 and 110 overs to bowl at England?

They can put their foot down from now, especially as it will be Stokes/Ali/Woakes doing lion's share of the bowling.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
So what is the SA target here? 425 and 110 overs to bowl at England?

They can put their foot down from now, especially as it will be Stokes/Ali/Woakes doing lion's share of the bowling.

Probably around that sort of figure. Let's hope for their sake there isn't too much rain about.

Stefan9

International Debutant
I definitely reckon he should have more than 21 hundreds after 100 Tests. Compare that figure to his major contemporaries, for example (e.g. the bloke on 73* right now)
Well that is more down to him getting out in the 90's a lot. he has gotten out in the 90's 8 times compared to amla only getting out in the 90's once.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SA will have their work cut out taking 10 wickets with a bowler short. Unless pitch really starts misbehaving tomorrow, but no signs of that so far.

91Jmay

International Coach
Boucher said on TMS that Abbott will bowl. Even in a reduced capacity having him able to rotate and spell Morkel/Rabada would be huge.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
England haven't shown much inclination to get after Piedt or even Elgar, so I can see them bowling long controlling spells if need be and Morkel & Rabada contributing short bursts. Anything from Abbott will be a bonus.

Cue Abbott taking a hatful, of course.

Captain_Cook

U19 12th Man
England should back themselves to block out for the draw. The way Amla and Bavuma have batted makes this track less threatening than it appears. SA really need to declare after Amla's century to give themselves enough time as England won't attempt to chase this target unless they want the day off tomorrow.

91Jmay

International Coach
Hales should go for it and rest block. Hales won't survive blocking and him scoring quickly could put pressure onto SAs and get some catchers away from the bat.