• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in South Africa 2015/16

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Great start, they still have a good score but 350-370 would be well within catching distance

We're struggling now though, unless someone removes de Kock immediately. Cook definitely missed a trick last night by taking the new ball when Ali was well set and sending down the occasional snorter. And I gather our fielding let us down yet again this morning. Bayliss is having his work cut out improving that aspect, and it's going to cost us a series sooner rather than later.

EDIT
Gee, when we're poor, we really appallingly poor. I suppose this sort of performance might help avoid complacency over the series win, but really we have been just dire for most of this game so far.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Genuine question (re. Mark Wood) Did you guys watch a lot of the Pakistan-England series in UAE last year?
No I didn't. I remember reading bits about Wood bowling very well in spells, and I don't hold it against him not taking a truckful of wickets in those conditions.
I'm happy enough having him as first reserve if one of Anderson, Broad and Finn isn't available. But based on what I saw of him at home to NZ and Aus, that would be my pecking order.
Now that can change of course. I remember Simon Jones becoming an entirely different prospect when he developed his ability to reverse the older ball, and maybe Wood could be doing something similar.
Beyond that, I don 't think Jimmy will be around for much longer after our home series this year, so wood may well find himself one of the three full-time quicks in the side in 12 months time anyway.

kingkallis

International Coach
Jp duminy is so damn predictable. Comes in, hits a few boundaries, gets himself out. The selectors should know this will never change, unless they want a part time spin bowler who scores 20 odd runs.
They killed a pretty decent middle order bat by promoting him to open. van Zyl should be tested at No.6 instead of JP.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I just saw that Woakes bowling average in tests is now 55. Maybe a record for someone who's been as 3rd seamer and has played more than a couple of tests?

If my sums are correct, if he finishes with 1 for 115 or more in this innings, he'll have an average of 60+.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
No I didn't. I remember reading bits about Wood bowling very well in spells, and I don't hold it against him not taking a truckful of wickets in those conditions.
I'm happy enough having him as first reserve if one of Anderson, Broad and Finn isn't available. But based on what I saw of him at home to NZ and Aus, that would be my pecking order.
Now that can change of course. I remember Simon Jones becoming an entirely different prospect when he developed his ability to reverse the older ball, and maybe Wood could be doing something similar.
Beyond that, I don 't think Jimmy will be around for much longer after our home series this year, so wood may well find himself one of the three full-time quicks in the side in 12 months time anyway.
If Anderson was to go that soon (I don't think so, but) then Broad and Finn opening and Wood first change is a pretty good attack tbf. But at the same time there would be fitness issues. I reckon Jimmy has a couple of years left in him though.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They killed a pretty decent middle order bat by promoting him to open. van Zyl should be tested at No.6 instead of JP.
Agreed, between him and Rilee... both have lots of potential. Think the decision would have to be based on form though and not sure what cricket there is between now and tests against NZ...

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
If Anderson was to go that soon (I don't think so, but) then Broad and Finn opening and Wood first change is a pretty good attack tbf. But at the same time there would be fitness issues. I reckon Jimmy has a couple of years left in him though.
Yeah, Wood's fitness is a big concern. Maybe the older Curran might end up a better long term bet post-Anderson.

Off-topic, I know, but it's preferable to what's happening in the middle.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Apart from Taylor, the catching has been dire most of the series. It's a wonder we've won it really.
As I mentioned previously, I gather that Bayliss has identified it as a massive weakness stemming from what goes on at county level. Which shouldn't bet a surprise to anybody.

EDIT
As it was off Woakes' bowling, maybe Cook and Bairstow just wanted to make sure they weren't watching this level of dross get another go by dint of picking up a few when the horse has bolted.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That one was a Cook error but there has to be something done. Even if Bairstow had gone I doubt he'd have got there but the catching in slips and keeper has been woeful this tour.