• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Chris Gayle some sort of perverted misogynist or can everyone just settle down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What if Chris Gayle had hit on a male reporter? I don't think we've covered that yet and we've got to get to 50 pages somehow.
People would still gang up on him here since he's not white and this country is a living, breathing racist entity.

Buzzfeed and those kinds of sites that only truly stupid people browse would love it though.

cnerd123

likes this
It's a shame the racial angle didn't get more of a workout on this thread, really. I was waiting for someone to point out that nothing would have happened if Michael Clarke had said something similar, but no-one did.
Pease elaborate. I want to hear more.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I firmly believe what Chris Gayle did was inappropriate and douchey. But I do want to ask what the main reason for everyone's outrage is, since while I do think he was a douchebag I'm not quite as outraged as many others. Was it because he did it while Mel was attempting to do her job? Or because it was on live national television and putting her on the spot like that was unfair and dickish? Or were the words he used in and of themselves ***ist and misogynistic? Judging by what people are saying, most seem to think that Gayle's actions would have been acceptable in a non-professional setting, like a bar, for example. I for one, find it confusing how that sole difference (ie) where the conversation is taking place makes his actions objectively misogynistic.

I'd appreciate it if someone answered without calling me a ***ist asshole, thanks.

cnerd123

likes this
I firmly believe what Chris Gayle did was inappropriate and douchey. But I do want to ask what the main reason for everyone's outrage is, since while I do think he was a douchebag I'm not quite as outraged as many others. Was it because he did it while Mel was attempting to do her job? Or because it was on live national television and putting her on the spot like that was unfair and dickish? Or were the words he used in and of themselves ***ist and misogynistic? Judging by what people are saying, most seem to think that Gayle's actions would have been acceptable in a non-professional setting, like a bar, for example. I for one, find it confusing how that sole difference (ie) where the conversation is taking place makes his actions objectively misogynistic.

I'd appreciate it if someone answered without calling me a ***ist asshole, thanks.
stfu ***ist asshole

cnerd123

likes this

Seriously tho, the bolded is why I consider it a dick move. You also have to factor in that she is a female reporter in a male dominated industry - it's hard enough for her to gain credibility for her skill with people constantly noting that her looks played a role in her hiring. She already has to deal with that on a daily basis, and on top of it she now has a cricketer thinking that an interview with her isn't a 'serious' interview, but an opportunity for him to make himself look cool by joking at her expense.

Gayle being a misogynist is established by the fact that he has a history of objectifying women. That takes what he did pass the realm of innocent joke into ***ist behavior. Of all the ways to 'make a joke' with a reporter, he goes down the route of commenting on her appearance. The manner with which he did it, and his history with women, are all factored in when we label him a ***ist, and not just this one incident in isolation.

The incident in isolation is a dick move. The incident with context of Mel being a woman in this field makes it a very dick move. And then add on Gayle's history and personality, and yea that's where all the outrage comes from. It's unacceptable.

harsh.ag

As has been mentioned, the backlash is more towards those who defended him and said absurd **** than anything else. His employer has acted well, and even Gayle hasn't been much of a dick later, despite his "it was just a joke" comment.

To answer your query, these kind of incidents, which happen all the time (obviously not on national tv though), make it more difficult for women to do their job. They have to develop thicker skins just to do their job as compared to their male counterparts. That is a larger discussion and obviously may not apply sharply to every case.

harsh.ag

Yeah, a ban from BBL is over the top imo, but only if given over this incident. If the exposed-himself-to-woman-who-came-in-for-a-sandwich story is true, then it's fine.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Chappell calling for a worldwide ban over this is patently ridiculous. If CA and BBL clubs -- and more clubs worldwide -- choose not to contract him again in the future, that's their call (tbh I can't see any BBL club wanting to deal with him after this). But to forcibly end his career over it?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Obviously indecent exposure is a whole different scenario in terms of that -- I'm talking exclusively about the interview.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Wow 50 pages! Next target: 1000 posts. I'll get the ball rolling - did anyone see that time that Maria Sharapova flirted with that reporter? How's this any different?!?

Captain_Cook

U19 12th Man
It's interesting you can identify and differentiate yourself from MRA's but you can't differentiate different views within the broader feminism movement and so instead lump it all as one. Well done.
As someone who previously identified as a feminist, I am aware of the diversity within that group but over the last 2 or 3 years, those with dissenting views within feminism have been ostracised and outcast from academia. Germaine Greer and Christina Hoff Summers are two of many examples. Greer is a little more muddied given her comments about trans-women but that shouldn't mean she should be censored at university campuses, she should be called out.

The word feminism has been hijacked by the regressive element which has distanced itself from older pragmatic feminists.

indiaholic

International Captain
Because it is a privilege to be chatted up by Maria. Gayle not so much.

Am I doing this right guys?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.