• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in Australia 2015/16

Riggins

International Captain
That's got to be up there for the softest tons of all time by Davey. Sangakkara and Jayawardena will be jealous as ****.

91Jmay

International Coach
Mitch Marsh could be a genuine 3rd seamer in certain conditions. The way he bats against the swinging ball in England and against spin suggests he isn't a test match bat though.

John Erichsen

Cricket Spectator
Gayle played 103 tests, scoring over 7000 runs @ 42.19. Sure its not in the great category, but he was no mug in the test arena. Continued pay issues with West Indies board is the main reason Gayle is concentrating on short format cricket and hasn't played a test since September 2014. He is also 36 years old so many his age no longer play test cricket. As far as "He's not very good at Tests any more...", you have to go back to 2007 to find a test calendar year in which Gayle didn't average at least 40. Makes me wonder what you consider "good".

John Erichsen

Cricket Spectator
Makes Glenn Maxwell look a viable option as a batting all-rounder and Shane Watson now looks like a world-beater. After 13 tests, not averaging 25 means he needs to be batting at 8 and in the side as a bowling all-rounder.

indiaholic

International Captain
Gayle played 103 tests, scoring over 7000 runs @ 42.19. Sure its not in the great category, but he was no mug in the test arena. Continued pay issues with West Indies board is the main reason Gayle is concentrating on short format cricket and hasn't played a test since September 2014. He is also 36 years old so many his age no longer play test cricket. As far as "He's not very good at Tests any more...", you have to go back to 2007 to find a test calendar year in which Gayle didn't average at least 40. Makes me wonder what you consider "good".
Who are you responding to?

John Erichsen

Cricket Spectator
It was a pretty soft hundred but I doubt either Sri Lankan great could feel jealous. Sangakkara scored 7 test tons against Bangladesh and Jayawardena 5, so they made their share of soft hundreds during their careers.

91Jmay

International Coach
Right move from the Windies. Posting a decent first innings total more important that getting farse runs and then probably losing an ODI chase.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Is this dickhead serious?

"They would have had to declare this morning, I would have declared 0-0 and then bowled lob-ups for seven or eight overs or whatever it is," Smith said. "We want to try and win every game we play and today was a perfect opportunity to set the game up for a good chase and for the fans that stayed out this afternoon.

For us that would have potentially been me bowling with three slips and two gullies and leaving every man up for them to try and hit as many as they can to try and make sure they left 370 off 70 as promised to them. No one really wants to see a draw, they want to see a good, exciting cricket and teams winning. We were willing to give them 70 overs on a day five-wicket and we were going to go after the runs. It was disappointing we couldn't get a game in and have a good game this afternoon."

Its ****ing test cricket ffs.

Having said that if Smith declared at 0-0 and Holder enforced the follow on it would have been the single greatest thing ever.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
I don't see whats wrong with a manufactured result tbh. Series has been decided. WI had nothing but pride to play for. Aus were clearly confident they would have chased down 370 in 70 overs. The scorecard will obviously carry a footnote explaining the declaration and manufactured set up. And it would have been entertaining to watch.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Smith can want to contrive a result to bang his chest about how much they want to win, but don't call out the opposition captain publicly for not wanting to hand Australia on a platter a good opportunity to beat them again.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
This is the same Steve Smith who refused to declare at last year's Boxing Day test vs. India btw.

Last edited:

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah but its aggressive intent and any true Australian ought to be proud about that.

ajdude

International Coach
I would've been against it if I played for Australia ftr. stuff forking out $5 each for a new ball and only use it for a few overs