• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Chris Gayle some sort of perverted misogynist or can everyone just settle down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Thanks to kv's latest treatise on this subject, from now on whenever I see a replay of that interview I'll always have the lyrics to the Bloodhound Gang's 1999 classic, The Bad Touch running theough my head.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
To be honest, I blame Mel herself.

If she had just turned around and told Gayle, no thanks and that she only dated Test players this wouldnt be an issue.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My view is that I have no issue with Chris Gayle hitting on a reporter and I think it is a storm in a tea cup.

I further beleive that any guy should have the ability to hit on whatever woman he chooses except married women or if the woman is clearly off limits e.g. she is 17. If the girl wants to show him the hand and say not in a million years with you buddy that is also her perrogative. But if there are going to be formal complaints about people just for making a verbal advance on someone then I think that sets a silly precedent. I looked at what he said and it just sounded like a very cheesy and macho advance on someone.

KThanksbye
There was no formal complaint made.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2dFUV8WjRc

The clip attached sums up what I think is the underlying attitude of the 'anti-PC' anarchists. Russ is the redblooded fans who like a bit of macho with their cricket, and think that there is no social situation or context in which it is not appropriate to be a stud.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wonder what would have happened if the reporter hit on Chris Gayle. Probably nothing.

I read an article by a female journalist during the CWC about the most handsome cricketers at the tournament. Nothing came of that.

This whole thing is stupid. Australia, like other countries founded or populated during the Victorian Era (NZ, USA), is one of the most prudish societies on the planet. This is what this is really about.
It's a point worthy of some thought though.

There are very few cultures on Earth who would give even half a damn about a sportsman saying something vaguely suggestive to a reporter on TV. Australia is one of them.

When I was visiting the parents of a girlfriend in Finland once everyone was happy to get into a sauna with me completely naked. This is how normal people think and behave.

Australia is a massively ***ually repressed society. This is why there is culture of one punch kills and related bull****. This is also why this extremely minor incident has been blown into the proportions it has.
Takes something special to post this. Legit made me take a shot of caffeine.

mintykip

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Chris Gayle was in the wrong. However if you found what he said funny then that doesn't make you a terrible person. And in two weeks time, he wont care, she wont care and we wont care.

Flem274*

123/5
The "hurrr huurrrrrr hurrrrrr" from the commentary box during and immediately after was a complete sell down the river of their colleague tbh.

A few guys during and after the event could benefit from applying the sister rule (if it was your sister, is it still "not a big deal, get over it?").

Gayle is pretty good at cricket but he's not very good at applying "time and a place for asking people out" nor very good at "don't keep overstepping boundaries after it's obvious to everyone you've made someone uncomfortable". By the sounds of the talk going around, Gayle enjoys doing this.

As soon as I heard about this I immediately remembered the Kemar Roach tweets Cribb linked me to complaining about women being stuck up bitches or something a couple of years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.