• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Chris Gayle some sort of perverted misogynist or can everyone just settle down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's just silly.

Maybe Gayle thought she looked particularly uptight (in retrospect, very accurately) and tried to loosen her up a bit with a joke? Maybe that's how you build a rapport in Jamaica?

Maybe Gayle is yet another victim of the common phenomenon in which the high level of eye contact made by a Westerner is interpreted by a non-Westerner as either aggression (in men) or a mating signal (in women)?

Gayle might have genuinely believed he saw a mating signal from the reporter. If he did, that makes his comments appropriate.

If Gayle made a mistake it was in seeing an invitation when there wasn't one. Anyone on this forum who denies they've ever made the same mistake hasn't lived imo.
You're lying that you were a barman, because barmen understand social contexts.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Maybe Gayle is yet another victim of the common phenomenon in which the high level of eye contact made by a Westerner is interpreted by a non-Westerner as either aggression (in men) or a mating signal (in women)?

Gayle might have genuinely believed he saw a mating signal from the reporter.
Sounds like something you'd hear on the National Geographic Channel.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Now, the things we might not agree on:
5. You or I have no moral right to tell Mel McLaughlin that her response was an overreaction or underreaction. We don't know what's going on in her head.
6. Refusing to take people's grievances seriously is a dick move -- and is a problem when the people whose grievances are often not taken seriously are disproportionately in positions lacking power (i.e. this narrative of 'you overreacted' is part of broader social trends that delegitimise people's experience and serves to effectively silence them, despite both parties having free speech rights).

In short, this has absolutely nothing to do with free speech.
5. Morality is subjective as far as I'm concerned. And I'm not sure I disagree with her reasons for being offended, I'm just arguing that the extent that people are taking offence just doesn't seem to fit. I don't make that statement lightly, I'm aware of being sensitive to certain experiences I may not fully comprehend. But at the same time I'm not gonna just march to anyone's beat just because they think they have a right to be offended in such a way.
6. Nah, it's a considered move. I've heard the grievances, I've given it due consideration, and I've formed my opinion on that. Basically anyone can use the "delegitimising peoples' experiences to silence them" argument, no matter how ridiculous their reaction may be (and I'm not saying Mel's reaction was ridiculous, the hubbub around it seems so). Not all grievances should be taken seriously, nor their experiences legitimised, just because they think it should be.

I don't think it really is a free speech rights issue either; but then I shouldn't be considered trying to censor someone just because I don't agree with how they're reacting. And at the same time, even if I did agree with it, I don't want to censor others. Whether people think that causes some people lacking power to be marginalised I guess is the give and take. Give me that extra freedom for that slightly less security.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Sounds like something you'd hear on the National Geographic Channel.
It's true though. Watch a Northern European on his first day in Asia if you want to see something funny. Nordics tend to make intense eye contact because to not do so is interpreted as a sign of dishonesty. Other cultures tend to see that kind of eye contact as extreme interest, usually aggressive or ***ual in nature. So misunderstandings are common.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
Gayle might have genuinely believed he saw a mating signal from the reporter. If he did, that makes his comments appropriate.
Gayles eyes lit up as he saw the big mating signal floated up in his half of the pitch? What was the signal? She smiled at him, or flashed her buttocks, or something?
He must have picked up the mating signal (or had a Miggs from Silence of the Lambs moment) pretty early as he said that he was doing the interview so he could see the chicks - sorry, reporters - eyes.
Should he have gone in for the pash as well Vik?

There's literally no situation where the Universe Boss or any other red-blooded male cannot try and score. Not at work during a meeting, not with millions of people watching on live TV....nowhere. Is that right? Get 'the signal', and get down to business.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Gayles eyes lit up as he saw the big mating signal floated up in his half of the pitch? What was the signal? She smiled at him, or flashed her buttocks, or something?
Like I've said, it could be intensity of eye contact, as this is easily and often interpreted as a mating signal by non-Westerners.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
If Mel didn't want to get hit on by Chris Gayle she shouldn't have looked him in the eyes.

Got it.
What I'm saying is that it's probably wiser to write this incident off as a misunderstanding rather than getting on our high horses and righteously judging who has made a moral transgression here.

cnerd123

likes this
What I'm saying is that it's probably wiser to write this incident off as a misunderstanding rather than getting on our high horses and righteously judging who has made a moral transgression here.
Innocent misunderstanding. How was Gayle supposed to know it was totally inappropriate to flirt with the journalist trying to do her job on live tv in front of millions of people? She did make eye contact after all, and its not like there was a better time or place to do it. Every woman loves being hit on when they're at work and trying to be taken seriously as a professional.

Poor Gayle. Just so unlucky. Tsk tsk.

Pass the J.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
Like I've said, it could be intensity of eye contact, as this is easily and often interpreted as a mating signal by non-Westerners.
So if you get a mating signal during a cricket interview, what is appropriate? Skip the pick-up lines and move straight to heavy petting? Maybe he said don't blush as blushing is also a mating signal in other cultures and he was by now barely able to hide his enthusiasm for her.
Couldn't he have shelved the knowledge that she was dead keen for a shag, shown some decorum and approached her after the match and started dry humping her leg while wearing his *** sells shirt and asked her to have a go-round on his stripper pole before a romp on his bed with the mirrored ceiling.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe you're right, but I don't think I'm the only one who finds less inhibited people much more fun to be around, and it's definitely not because they tell more racist jokes.
Maybe it's just me and I'm living in the dark ages, but I am a minority and my friends are a mix. Our cultural differences and teasing each other is what makes the friendship fun and the fact that we open up ourselves to stereotypical jibes fosters our closeness to an even greater extent. None of us are stupid and there is nothing hateful about the comments. But if you want to be sensitive about any kind of joke about race, you could say we're all racists.

As far as I'm concerned, no one has carte blanche to be offended. Yes, people who say things should be wary it might offend and at the same time the person who has the potential to be offended also should gauge whether there is an intent to actually insult the other person. Just as it is nice that someone will readily apologise if someone is offended, it would also be nice if the receiver of an act/comment also acknowledges that not every statement made is intended to offend and it doesn't require an apology beforehand.

I think you'll see these attitudes slowly disappear though. People getting salty about PC GONE MAD are going to die out soon or be overwhelmed by the majority attitude.
Honestly, I just see it getting worse. It's just making people overly sensitive and it is giving others who lack in some aspect of their life a crusade to rally behind or in front. Like this guy: https://youtu.be/ei66ZNbAVvg?t=5m31s

I'm generalising but people who generally aren't morons or assholes don't spend their existence learning about these labels and then propagating for or against them. They're now getting the piss taken out of them all over the internet and famously South Park even made a whole season about it.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

kiwi kiwi kiwi kiwi......

Taking Dan's do nothing to offend people to heart (and arse) in ways no one ever contemplated. Pure company man.

Gnske

I can get on the 'blown out of proportion' thought but I think it would be erroneous to assume Gayle, a man well traveled and absorbed in social media would be ignorant as to how what he did might be seen as the epitome of Chad Thunderc*ck jerkhood.

Simply doesn't care.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
Maybe there is anger towards the reporter because she didn't succumb to Gayles 'charm'. He's a swashbuckling cricketer who's put his balls on the line, and she's inexplicably not giggled, swooned, and allowed herself to be carried off to his boudoir in a state of advanced excitement.
What does this say for the rest of us when a rich, famous, popular, jack the lad gets rebuffed in this way? It should not happen. Women are supposed to melt at the thought of being a notch in his bedpost.

Status
Not open for further replies.