• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Chris Gayle some sort of perverted misogynist or can everyone just settle down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
https://soundcloud.com/abc_grandstand/the-press-room-scg-day-3 Gerard Whateley, Neroli Meadows, Melinda Farrell and Chris Rogers are in the Press Room, with the Chris Gayle controversy the topic of discussion
I read the article which described Melinda as emotional, but didn't realise she was actually tearing up.

I think we need to listen to our female sports journalists when they describe what they experience and explain that it makes them uncomfortable.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Agreed.

Yet this incident gets a lot of people overcooked, whereas this doesn't seem to be the case on many other occasion
Even if this is true (which I'd probably dispute) it doesn't mean people are wrong to get worked up about it on this occasion.

Stapel

International Regular
There was a proper conversation posted earlier in the thread between two women who felt it was a really bad thing CG did, so that argument is null and void.
This thread is going too fast.....

I've had a discussion with my wife about this last night. She simply had to laugh out loud (on what CHG had said). Must be said: she works as a criminal investigator in male dominant environment. Maybe she's used to really bad things.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
For those who think it was really bad was CHG did, get yourself into a decent and proper conversation with any woman on this subject. There are far far worse examples of ***ism around. Every day again.
Nobody disagrees with this; it's complete whataboutery though. The fact that there are worse examples of ***ism around doesn't somehow make this not-***ism, or not important enough to discuss. Once more denying and trivialising people's experiences.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I mean wtf is 'whaboutery'

should be instantly banned for using such nonsensical non-words

up there with 'relativist' as a low point for CW vocab

Stapel

International Regular
Even if this is true (which I'd probably dispute) it doesn't mean people are wrong to get worked up about it on this occasion.
You won't hear me saying people are wrong.....

It's just that I'm a bit amazed how ferociously people react to this.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
We don't always just comment on batting technique here. There are a lot of other subjects (cricketing and non cricketing) with moral and emotional implications we comment on.

And I am no batting expert, nor have I ever played cricket at any professional level? So why do I get to comment on how an international batsman should bat?
People have much less control over their emotions than they do physical actions like batting. I feel things all the time that I wish I didn't; it's not just a matter of picking a different emotional reaction to something.

Last edited:

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
The event by itself doesn't deserve to dominate the national media cycle but I'm glad that it has. Gayle's comments, whilst not the worst comments ever made, were clearly unwelcome and crossed the line. No doubt he will think twice before he puts a woman in the same position on national television and so will others. If nothing else, the amount of attention this has received is because a large number of people (many of whom are prominent in the sporting industry) acknowledged the need to break the culture of men making ***ual remarks at a woman's expense and viewing the whole thing as a laugh. McLaughlan is worth more than that.

I work as an employment lawyer and most weeks I talk to women that have been on the receiving end of unwanted ***ual attention in the workplace. This type of conduct is not always called out. It is often not until the employment relationship (and occasionally the woman's mental health and self-esteem) is severely compromised that the matter is brought to a head. If commenting on a woman's appearance or ***uality was not the norm, and this type of conduct were not so readily dismissed as harmless banter, my firm would have significantly fewer clients.

I think Neroli Meadows hit the nail on the head today when she basically said: This is how this type of behaviour makes women feel, this is my opinion of the matter based on my experience in the industry and I just want men to listen to women when they say that this sort of behaviour is not welcome.

Men have an important role to play in this debate, but it's not telling women how they should feel.

Stapel

International Regular
Nobody disagrees with this; it's complete whataboutery though. The fact that there are worse examples of ***ism around doesn't somehow make this not-***ism, or not important enough to discuss. Once more denying and trivialising people's experiences.
That's not really my point. I think it is ***ist and defenitely worth a discussion. The way this is done though (by soem, not all of course), strikes me as paternalistic.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I don't think people who are trying to make light of this understand that women go through severe ***ism in sport. This incident is very much part of that culture. It just happened to occur on live television.

Stapel

International Regular
The event by itself doesn't deserve to dominate the national media cycle but I'm glad that it has. Gayle's comments, whilst not the worst comments ever made, were clearly unwelcome and crossed the line. No doubt he will think twice before he puts a woman in the same position on national television and so will others. If nothing else, the amount of attention this has received is because a large number of people (many of whom are prominent in the sporting industry) acknowledged the need to break the culture of men making ***ual remarks at a woman's expense and viewing the whole thing as a laugh. McLaughlan is worth more than that.

I work as an employment lawyer and most weeks I talk to women that have been on the receiving end of unwanted ***ual attention in the workplace. This type of conduct is not always called out. It is often not until the employment relationship (and occasionally the woman's mental health and self-esteem) is severely compromised that the matter is brought to a head. If commenting on a woman's appearance or ***uality was not the norm, and this type of conduct were not so readily dismissed as harmless banter, my firm would have significantly fewer clients.

I think Neroli Meadows hit the nail on the head today when she basically said: This is how this type of behaviour makes women feel, this is my opinion of the matter based on my experience in the industry and I just want men to listen to women when they say that this sort of behaviour is not welcome.

Men have an important role to play in this debate, but it's not telling women how they should feel.
Just an example that ***ism has many facets, even without the ***ual aspect:

I work as a science teacher. Two years ago, after having given a 14year old girl a positive advice on math & science, her dad contacted me: Are you sure this is right for a girl?

I've got a box in my mind with probably 100 of such examples. These can get me carried away a lot more than what CHG had to say the other day.

I guess I bring this example forward, so people can understand why I think some reactions here are overdone.

Stapel

International Regular
I mean wtf is 'whaboutery'

should be instantly banned for using such nonsensical non-words

up there with 'relativist' as a low point for CW vocab
I tried to google it, but my screen told me my computer was reinitialsing.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think people who are trying to make light of this understand that women go through severe ***ism in sport. This incident is very much part of that culture. It just happened to occur on live television.
Mmh, its a ****y predicament. You would think there would be majority of support for women reporting this kind of thing happening behind the scenes, social media attention is gold after all and that sort of traction can go a long way to prevent devious firings behind the scenes just for spilling the truth.

But I think every article so far written about this incident, even CA's social media posts has had top comments of blokes calling it 'just banter, get over etc.'

Stapel

International Regular
Well, I just get served here. I don't mean this to be peronal, as many do so (I guess myself included).

I agree with what you say here, but the way you say it, comes accross at paternalistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.