• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in New Zealand 2015

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
ODI Squad is

Brendon McCullum (c), Doug Bracewell, Martin Guptill, Matt Henry (first two ODIs)*, Mitchell McClenaghan, Adam Milne, Henry Nicholls, Luke Ronchi, Mitchell Santner, Ish Sodhi, Ross Taylor, Kane Williamson, George Worker.

*Tim Southee will join the squad for the third ODI

Probably looking at

Guptill
Latham
Williamson
Taylor
BMac
Worker
Ronchi
Milne
Sodhi
Henry
Mitch M

Leaves Nicholls, Santner, Bracewell to play in game 2. Henry will probably play first 2 ODI's then they sub in Southee? Sure McCullum will rest at some point so Kane can captain.

Wonder what Boult will be doing in the meantime to try and get some of his rhythm and form back?
You tricked us all by putting Latham in your team there, but as can be seen from the squad you also posted, he's serving only as KW cover.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
In the Taylor era we beat a stronger Sri Lankan side in Sri Lanka, and Australia in Australia.
:laugh:

We also suffered our equal worst ever losing streak in tests, were thrashed 2-0 by the same WI side that you're so sniffy about, and finished ranked 8th in tests and 9th on ODI's. Ah those golden days...

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Look at the team we beat, and then honestly question whether the performances we put in would have been good enough to beat decent opposition.
Yes because the performances put in in this Test are literally exactly the same performances we'll be putting into playing other teams, because each game is homogenous.

if the performance we put in in the first test vs England wasn't good enough to beat them then how did we beat them in the second test?! It's almost as if each game has it's own situations, fluctuations and outcomes!

Flem274*

123/5
I think this sri lankan side played better at times than the one that toured last summer despite having sangakkara in it.

They were one competent batting display or one KW wicket away from a good chance at 1-1, despite losing their two best pacemen and keeper to various things and deciding not to play kaushal silva

Athlai

Not Terrible
I think this sri lankan side played better at times than the one that toured last summer despite having sangakkara in it.

They were one competent batting display or one KW wicket away from a good chance at 1-1, despite losing their two best pacemen and keeper to various things and deciding not to play kaushal silva
Our bowling without a firing Boult looks a lot less classy.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing

I think what is overlooked in this Test is how well the Sri Lankan seamers operated as a unit. Pradeep and Lakmal supported Chameera really really well, and they weren't relying on Herath to spin us out. It was one of the better cohesive bowling efforts I've seen from a team touring New Zealand in recent years. I think we're vastly underrating how well they bowled if we talk about a poor NZ performance that wouldn't knock over Australia.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Our bowling without a firing Boult looks a lot less classy.
Yeah as long as Boult continues to be more Shane O'Connor than Wasim Akram NZ will struggle. Here's hoping a few weeks rest and some time working on his action will help kick him back into Rhythm.

Migara

International Coach
I think what is overlooked in this Test is how well the Sri Lankan seamers operated as a unit. Pradeep and Lakmal supported Chameera really really well, and they weren't relying on Herath to spin us out. It was one of the better cohesive bowling efforts I've seen from a team touring New Zealand in recent years. I think we're vastly underrating how well they bowled if we talk about a poor NZ performance that wouldn't knock over Australia.
Prasad would have been ideal. It's unfortunate that PHT Kausha's progress have been halted. Would have been threatening because he gives it a mighty rip.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
It's a massive waste not having Latham in the top order in these games.

With Williamson under an injury cloud and Baz' retirement at the end of the summer it's a no brainer for him to be in the squad at the very least.

Frankly Baz should do the team man thing and go back to 5 with both Corey and the Neesh injured anyway.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Post of the day.

This was not Zimbabwe bowling to us. Ross is good value for his ICC ranking of 12th in the world. You know he comes to life in an uphill skiing situation. The fact that he really applied himself and could only make 35, giving 100% effort, says how challenging it was out there in the middle. Lakmal was like a metronome and proceeded to make short work of the rookie Santner.

I really enjoyed this test series and half way through this test it hit me for the first time; I think maybe I don't want a test championship after all. I liked that playing Sri Lanka out there at Seddon Park was the highest form of the game rather than just a qualification game for some playoff tests.

Another aspect of the Sri Lankan attack is their pride. I have made multiple posts about it - but boy those Lankans did their country proud. Even though they lost in 3 days and will be dissapointed in their second inning collapse they were well in the match. Quality team. Quality country. Quality courage on display by them and pride coming out of their ears.

Now it is on Bangladesh to tour just as well as that. They have the same talent as SL now. I expect a good performance from Bangers next time they tour anywhere.
I am not knocking SL to make that comparison, I just saw so much from Bangers at the world cup that I expect more now.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Post of the day.

This was not Zimbabwe bowling to us. Ross is good value for his ICC ranking of 12th in the world. You know he comes to life in an uphill skiing situation. The fact that he really applied himself and could only make 35, giving 100% effort, says how challenging it was out there in the middle. Lakmal was like a metronome and proceeded to make short work of the rookie Santner.
Really? I don't think Taylor applied himself well at all given the circumstances. He was hooking almost every ball in a match where there had been only 4 batsmen out in a manner other than caught. As I was watching I had the sense that it was just a matter of time while he faced Chameera, and surely enough he top edged one to fine leg before long. Don't get me wrong, he played some quite nice shots, but it was just frustrating watching him playing into SRL's incredibly obvious plans. I actually think McCullum applied himself much better than Ross (at least he did until the target required went below 80 - then he started playing some disgusting shots).

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
No. This post is not accurate @bahnz
The tactic the boss and Kane decided upon was to go ahead and play controlled pull shots. Kane kept it up throughout his whole inning because his technique is sublime.
The boss came unglued on one pull shot and he went from low to high instead of coming down on the ball. Right idea wrong execution. The boss put 100% effort into his inning and could only make 35. That highlights just how good Kane's inning was by comparison. In closing Kane and Ross both tried to use the same tactic.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
No. This post is not accurate @bahnz
The tactic the boss and Kane decided upon was to go ahead and play controlled pull shots. Kane kept it up throughout his whole inning because his technique is sublime.
The boss came unglued on one pull shot and he went from low to high instead of coming down on the ball. Right idea wrong execution. The boss put 100% effort into his inning and could only make 35. That highlights just how good Kane's inning was by comparison. In closing Kane and Ross both tried to use the same tactic.
Ok, sure. But it was a very dumb tactic given that Sri Lanka had only one bowler capable of executing the short ball with the necessary pace and accuracy to make it a threat. Can happily say that I'm not alone in this point of view either.

yeah let's play the shot into the area with three fielders standing in a line, good percentage cricket
is this an ego thing? not going to accept short bowling from the little sri lankans/kiwis?
Such a terrible, irresponsible inning from Ross Taylor.

Flem274*

123/5
i deadset still suspect there was a strong element of "fast bouncy pitch, and this sri lankan/kiwi fast medium bowler is trying to get me ducking and swaying? **** him, history says yadda yadda i am macho batsman you must be smashed. you no australian."

kane had the humility to not get sucked in to too much bull****.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
In the first inning he tried to play a back foot defence and it nicked his glove. No one gave him any compassion and said "well at least he was being defensive". He slept on it overnight and decided he would try a different tactic in the 2nd dig. Which is what I recommend all batsman do.
At the end of the day he made 35 which was about 15 runs short of what we wanted from him. What are we disputing by the way? I have lost track... Anytime you get out you need to question your decision making and your execution so it is ok to give him a grilling I guess. merry Christmas and I hope you have enjoyed your day :)