• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mohammed Amir cleared to return with immediate effect

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
**** off Azhar Ali and Hafeez tbh, bunch of crybabies Amir would help the team way more in the long run than these two(I do rate Azhar but whatever)

and lol @ Azharuddin 'never getting near the team again' he was absolutely ancient already

smash84

The Tiger King
It is crucial for the limited overs team he returns ASAP.

Azhar will back down I think, he won't want to lose the captaincy and he is in shaky ground after the mauling by England and with Malik about. Heck once he has to endure watching trundlers like Tanvir. Anwar and Junaid trundle in the next tour, he will be viewing Amir as the Messiah.:laugh:

:laugh:

some good points there.

Hafeez might not be around for too long but am surprised that Azhar has chosen the path of confrontation.

mr_mister

are all pakistani cricketers so damn melodramatic

it's like holy **** what point are you trying to prove here guys- you don't have the ability to forgive nor forget?

Niall

International Coach
**** off Azhar Ali and Hafeez tbh, bunch of crybabies Amir would help the team way more in the long run than these two(I do rate Azhar but whatever)
Azhar has been crucial to a lot of Pakistan's recent test success, averages 44 and is approaching his best years, while Hafeez has been one of their best players over the last few years in all formats, I wouldn't be telling these guys to **** off for taking a stand even though I want Amir back asap.

It had been reported for ages, that quite a few players don't want the trio back, its just these 2 are the only ones who feel they have enough power to take a stand, it would create a toxic atmosphere in the dressing room if you were to kick these two out. I assume they will sit down and work it out, its better for the team they find a way to co operate with each other.

Niall

International Coach
Lets not forget Azhar was part of that English tour in 2010, that last test when the revelations came out must have been absolute hell for the guys in the team who had done nothing wrong. In case anybody has forgotten the media slaughtered them and the atmosphere on the final day was poisonous and a lot of that was due to Amir been a greedy so and so.

It was only his second test series as well so it would definitely have affected him hugely, can't blame him for not been that quick to welcome Amir back as the Messiah.

Last edited:

mr_mister

they're adding to the toxic atmosphere though with this childish crap

if amir just quietly slipped back into the fold without a player making a big scene about it every two seconds there'd be a lot less drama surrounding this whole team

the way it's going it's just going to make it a total disaster for him when(not if) he does play, though it'l be exciting to watch.

mr_mister

Lets not forget Azhar was part of that English tour in 2010, that last test when the revelations came out must have been absolute hell for the guys in the team who had done nothing wrong. It was only his second test series as well, can't blame him for not been that quick to welcome Amir back as the Messiah.

this is not the way to go about it, giving the Pakistan cricket board an ultimatum is bloody childish, regardless if his wounds have healed or not(i'm sure it was like.. totally scarring man)

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
These two having been in a pakistani dressing room may be privy to information we do not. Maybe they have reason to think he is still corrupt or that his apology was fake.

If it's simply that they feel let down by Amir over the initial spot fixing, whilst that's perfectly understandable, they will probably have to move on with affairs if they want to continue their career, as the pakistan board and the icc have deemed that Amir should be able to play.

smash84

The Tiger King
These two having been in a pakistani dressing room may be privy to information we do not. Maybe they have reason to think he is still corrupt or that his apology was fake.

If it's simply that they feel let down by Amir over the initial spot fixing, whilst that's perfectly understandable, they will probably have to move on with affairs if they want to continue their career, as the pakistan board and the icc have deemed that Amir should be able to play.
I don't know about these two being the James Bonds of Pakistan cricket with behind the scenes information but Azhar was only in his 2nd series back then and the whole team got bloody murdered after that saga. It has taken Misbah a long time to build some credibility back and Azhar has been an important part of that rebuild. Its understandable if he doesn't want to do anything with **** Amir

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Amir needs to play a LOT more to convince people he has reformed. Can totally understand and empathise with Azhar and Prof here.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
I don't know about these two being the James Bonds of Pakistan cricket with behind the scenes information but Azhar was only in his 2nd series back then and the whole team got bloody murdered after that saga. It has taken Misbah a long time to build some credibility back and Azhar has been an important part of that rebuild. Its understandable if he doesn't want to do anything with **** Amir
No doubt. It's perfectly understandable Misbah, Azhar, Hafeez, whoever etc being vehemently against him coming back given they were left to deal with the mess that Amir made. If I was in the same position I sure wouldn't want him back in the team. Making these guys out to be the villians is competely wrong. However if the board want him back then they don't really have many options other than a) accept it b) retire c) try and get a majority of players to lobby the board to exclude Amir.

I think what we saw with KP is that you never really know what is going on in the background in dressing rooms so it's hard to say with any kind of certainty that these guys are acting childishly or in the worst interests of Pakistan cricket by not welcoming him back into the team. We don't really know.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
No doubt. It's perfectly understandable Misbah, Azhar, Hafeez, whoever etc being vehemently against him coming back given they were left to deal with the mess that Amir made. If I was in the same position I sure wouldn't want him back in the team. Making these guys out to be the villians is competely wrong. However if the board want him back then they don't really have many options other than a) accept it b) retire c) try and get a majority of players to lobby the board to exclude Amir.

I think what we saw with KP is that you never really know what is going on in the background in dressing rooms so it's hard to say with any kind of certainty that these guys are acting childishly or in the worst interests of Pakistan cricket by not welcoming him back into the team. We don't really know.
I think of all the options, option c might be most viable for them. Player revolts have happened in the past and for once if it happens for something that they feel strongly about then who knows they might succeed.

Niall

International Coach
I think of all the options, option c might be most viable for them. Player revolts have happened in the past and for once if it happens for something that they feel strongly about then who knows they might succeed.
Malik has came out a while ago and said they he is welcome back so that is another issue as he would have serious influence in the dressing room. I'd be interested to know what Afridi thinks about Amir, for all his flaws and they are many, he most certainly was no fixer. Heck, in the Sunday World article, they were moaning that Afridi had no interest in cheating for money.:laugh:

SeamUp

International Coach
We don't know Amir personally but just imagine the testing times he has faced ? He made a bad mistake but there are so many reasons to forgive & forget for him. He must have thick skin though or grew into it because with the abuse he has got in the domestic games and pitching up for training seeing the senior core boycotting it because of him. Mentally if he had to play, could he ever be in the right frame of mind ?

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can fully understand why they have taken this stance, I would too. Amir has a lot of work to do to prove he deserves this chance again on and off the field. So far he has been back all of 5 minutes and he gets called back. Must hurt guys who were there after it and took stick for being guilty by association.

cnerd123

likes this
Look, Hafeez and Azhar are professional cricketers. Amir has spent time in jail, had 5 years out of the game, and has been cleared by the PCB and ICC to return to international cricket. He did the crime, and he did the time.

Whether or not he is a ****, whether or not they want to forgive him, point is that he has been picked to play for Pakistan and it is Hafeez and Azhar's job to make peace with that. The people in charge of making the judgement on Amir and his crimes have spoken, It is not up to Hafeez, Azhar, or any other cricketer to take the decision in their hands.

To refuse to play alongside someone is unprofessional. You can voice your concerns, you can have your doubts, but you also learn to make it work. And if you can't, then you don't deserve to be in the team. But trying to strong arm the selectors and PCB into dropping Amir because you are uncomfortable around him is not the right way to go around it.

IDK if this will work or not, but I'm not going to be praising Hafeez and Azhar for this decision.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Didn't peg you for a corporate lackey, *****. Demands of professionalism are too often the cloak for getting the underlings to toe the line of immoral and incorrect decisions.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I have defended Amir but Hafeez and Azhar are totally justified in their stance here.

It is now up to Amir to personally get them on his side. He has to humble himself, go and talk to them with a completely sincere attitude, apologise personally to them, and ask for their forgiveness.

That's what an adult does. He has been found guilty, now he must prove his maturity and not act like a child.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't peg you for a corporate lackey, *****. Demands of professionalism are too often the cloak for getting the underlings to toe the line of immoral and incorrect decisions.
Agreed. No hippie, but yeah this is right.

If you want to hold people responsible for their actions you can't then punish them for holding themselves responsible.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
are all pakistani cricketers so damn melodramatic

it's like holy **** what point are you trying to prove here guys- you don't have the ability to forgive nor forget?
Or maybe it's not trusting the proven cheating scum to bowl for the team rather than for his own gains.