• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Pakistan and England in the UAE 2015/16

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
Ramiz Raja really is terrible. Just said a run out would've meant it was all over for England (they had a wicket and a ball left) then said "but England are through" (through to what?).

Niall

International Coach
why is afridi bowling now?

well maybe not too many options
Because all the other bowlers are crap sadly.

I dunno what to think about Afridi today, his batting and bowling was good, but his captaincy was dire. Malik only bowled 2 overs while ALL ROUNDER Anwar Ali and t20 misfit Irfan bowled out and were useless. Sending Tanvir up the order who has constantly failed to get Pakistan over the line instead of Yamin a proper bat and Anwar and he has to have had some input in the non selection of Malik not batting in the super over.

Niall

International Coach
Pakistan limited overs cricket is finished, their is a chance they may pull out of the t20 world cup for political reasons and they should, only going to be competitive against Zimbabwe at the moment.

Got to feel for Amir and Wasim, young lads when they come into the squad next year, will be expected to elevate this rubbish to competitiveness. Only Afridi and Malik would get a look in any other t20 side of the current selection.

smash84

The Tiger King
Pakistan limited overs cricket is finished, their is a chance they may pull out of the t20 world cup for political reasons and they should, only going to be competitive against Zimbabwe at the moment.

Got to feel for Amir and Wasim, young lads when they come into the squad next year, will be expected to elevate this rubbish to competitiveness. Only Afridi and Malik would get a look in any other t20 side of the current selection.
agreed,

England must be feeling great for winning the revenge ODI and T20 series.

Niall

International Coach
agreed,

England must be feeling great for winning the revenge ODI and T20 series.
They should, they dominated both series ultimately.Pakistan were way to reliant on Afridi and Malik heroics in the last 2 games to make it close. The new generation unfortunately flopped. Rizwan was probably the biggest let down, he was absolutely horrible against spin. The rest?

We know the majority of them are not good enough, we can talk about positions, roles etc, but most of them have been around for a while now and have not shown enough despite the mitigating circumstances.

The only players that if other international sides had the option of signings for limited overs cricket that would be considered would be Malik, Misbah and Afridi, when you consider their age, that is frightening and bizarre when you consider how much Pakistan love limited overs cricket.

I am not saying they all the younger players we seen this series are doomed to mediocrity, but so many of them looked very bad. Rizwan when spin came on was horrid, Anwar as we seen today, just is not good enough, he may have a few eye catching performances here and their, but you won't beat quality opposition with him in the side.

Tanvir is Tanvir, at times can look good, but ultimately when you sit down and look at his overall numbers he just is not that good of a bowler. He is also an abysmal finisher as well. Its frightening that people were considering him as an all rounder not to long ago. Irfan is a poor death bowler and worthless in the field and with the bat.

Umar is Umar, you see glimpses, but is so erratic.Maqsood? A pointless player if you have Umar in the side.

I'l give Azhar a pass though, as I think he is horribly out of form, rather than been found out or not good enough. Gohar also something about him as well.

That is it really though.

I have banged on to much about Amir in this thread, I think and even his biggest fan which is probably himself would admit that while he strengthens the side when he returns, their is only so much one man can do. :-O

Last edited:

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
I don't think Pakistan's t20/50 over bowling is bad. I'd have it better than England's by a decent amount . England are the better batting side comfortably though imo.

The real difference is the fielding and running between the wickets. You just can't do what Pakistan did throughout the odi and t20 series. The runouts weren't great fielding by England, they were awful pieces of cricket by Pakistan. How many times did two batsmen end up at the same end. And the catching, Vince today dropped on 3. Was that 3 or 4 drops by Tanvir in the series? All simple iirc.

Improving batting and bowlings standards is a gradual process that will take time. Improving the fielding comes from improving domestic cricket standards and there seems to be some good younger fielders coming through - but also some small improvements can be made on an individual level in small time. They really should be able to make a massive improvement in running immediately. I don't know if the players don't talk to each other, hate each other or speak different languages - but they really should be able to work a way to not get runout with two players at the same end. The comical runouts should maybe happen once in two years, not 5 times in 7 games.

The other stuff I can forgive but the running between the wicket is unforgiveable given how inept it is and how easy it is to show improvement.

Last edited:

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
England were just the more professional in the t20s. For the most part not doing stupid stuff was enough to beat Pakistan in this series.

ODIs was better by England. The batting in particular showed some real quality and growth imo.

For all I've been critical of Bayliss and selectors for the test team this winter, nearly everything they've done in ODI cricket has been good and worked since the WC. The most important decision of the lot though was probably retaining Morgan (and getting rid of Bell) after the WC. Looking at this thread (http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/wor...ype-side-should-england-pick-odi-cricket.html) most were in favour of getting rid of Morgan and it would have been very easy to get rid of him after the WC.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
They should, they dominated both series ultimately.Pakistan were way to reliant on Afridi and Malik heroics in the last 2 games to make it close. The new generation unfortunately flopped. Rizwan was probably the biggest let down, he was absolutely horrible against spin. The rest?

We know the majority of them are not good enough, we can talk about positions, roles etc, but most of them have been around for a while now and have not shown enough despite the mitigating circumstances.

The only players that if other international sides had the option of signings for limited overs cricket that would be considered would be Malik, Misbah and Afridi, when you consider their age, that is frightening and bizarre when you consider how much Pakistan love limited overs cricket.

I am not saying they all the younger players we seen this series are doomed to mediocrity, but so many of them looked very bad. Rizwan when spin came on was horrid, Anwar as we seen today, just is not good enough, he may have a few eye catching performances here and their, but you won't beat quality opposition with him in the side.

Tanvir is Tanvir, at times can look good, but ultimately when you sit down and look at his overall numbers he just is not that good of a bowler. He is also an abysmal finisher as well. Its frightening that people were considering him as an all rounder not to long ago. Irfan is a poor death bowler and worthless in the field and with the bat.

Umar is Umar, you see glimpses, but is so erratic.Maqsood? A pointless player if you have Umar in the side.

I'l give Azhar a pass though, as I think he is horribly out of form, rather than been found out or not good enough. Gohar also something about him as well.

That is it really though.

I have banged on to much about Amir in this thread, I think and even his biggest fan which is probably himself would admit that while he strengthens the side when he returns, their is only so much one man can do. :-O
To be honest, as bad as the results were, I think the team is kind of in the right direction. My reasons are that up until the World Cup, Pakistan were losing ODIs consistently because the core group of players just did not have the right skill set and the team as a whole was way way behind the rest of the world.

Now, with the current ODI team, they are still behind the rest of the world, but there is a decent team in there somewhere..they just don't have the right combination, right strategy and management of players yet. With Hafeez unable to bowl, Pakistan are extremely flustered about how to get a guy who can bowl 6-7 overs and give you runs with the bat.

Watching Azhar since the BD series and he has really adapted to the ODI format. I won't say he is necessarily out of form, I think he was in great form when he took a break for personal reasons and just looked under cooked since then (starting with the test series).
He has since then gone back to FC cricket and scoring runs so I am pretty sure Pakistan have a few good solid years of ODI batting from Azhar.

The second opener is the question and I for one would give Sami Aslam a decent chance but unfortunately Selfie will get preference over him :down:

But there's a decent middle to lower order in Hafeez, Malik, Azam, Haris, Rizwan, Wasim and Sarfraz somewhere. It's just not clicking at the moment, and they are not batting at one position consistently, but if the management realizes that this is a pretty decent ODI batting order and prepares specific strategies and roles for them accordingly, I think this team can compete.

The bowling - Irfan has been excellent. No complains here.
Now the second opening bowler is the issue here. Pakistan keep playing Anwar Ali because they want someone who can bat but the guy averages 58 with the ball. You can't have a new ball bowler with that record.

I think they need to go back to either Junaid or Rahat or hewhoshallnotbenamed :p

Wahab should not be playing so many ODIs and T20s and by the end of the T20 he just looked like someone who has bowled too many overs.

They have to look at other options like Rahat or Sohail Khan (who is now fit and is a very good death over bowler).

Imad Wasim and Yasir Shah can be the two spinners or if they want don't want to play 2 spinners, they can try Aamer Yamin who is a decent medium pace bowler who can bat a bit.

If you look at the LO series, the major mistakes were that of running between the wickets, wrong batting order, wrong bowlers bowling at the wrong times. These things can be rectified with the right thinking.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
Fun tour. England's relationship with the UAE is a very odd one indeed. By results it's their worst test country by far, and easily their best limited overs country. Early days obvs but you would've got very long odds on that being the case four years ago, when we were favourites going into the test series and underdogs into the ODIs.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah the LO side is heading in the right direction and there is a lot for Pakistan to learn as well because both sides had poor World Cups and looked way behind the rest of the cricketing world but one of them have managed to rectify it and now looking to catch up.

Last edited:

Niall

International Coach
To be honest, as bad as the results were, I think the team is kind of in the right direction. My reasons are that up until the World Cup, Pakistan were losing ODIs consistently because the core group of players just did not have the right skill set and the team as a whole was way way behind the rest of the world.

Now, with the current ODI team, they are still behind the rest of the world, but there is a decent team in there somewhere..they just don't have the right combination, right strategy and management of players yet. With Hafeez unable to bowl, Pakistan are extremely flustered about how to get a guy who can bowl 6-7 overs and give you runs with the bat.

Watching Azhar since the BD series and he has really adapted to the ODI format. I won't say he is necessarily out of form, I think he was in great form when he took a break for personal reasons and just looked under cooked since then (starting with the test series).
He has since then gone back to FC cricket and scoring runs so I am pretty sure Pakistan have a few good solid years of ODI batting from Azhar.

The second opener is the question and I for one would give Sami Aslam a decent chance but unfortunately Selfie will get preference over him :down:

But there's a decent middle to lower order in Hafeez, Malik, Azam, Haris, Rizwan, Wasim and Sarfraz somewhere. It's just not clicking at the moment, and they are not batting at one position consistently, but if the management realizes that this is a pretty decent ODI batting order and prepares specific strategies and roles for them accordingly, I think this team can compete.

The bowling - Irfan has been excellent. No complains here.
Now the second opening bowler is the issue here. Pakistan keep playing Anwar Ali because they want someone who can bat but the guy averages 58 with the ball. You can't have a new ball bowler with that record.

I think they need to go back to either Junaid or Rahat or hewhoshallnotbenamed :p

Wahab should not be playing so many ODIs and T20s and by the end of the T20 he just looked like someone who has bowled too many overs.

They have to look at other options like Rahat or Sohail Khan (who is now fit and is a very good death over bowler).

Imad Wasim and Yasir Shah can be the two spinners or if they want don't want to play 2 spinners, they can try Aamer Yamin who is a decent medium pace bowler who can bat a bit.

If you look at the LO series, the major mistakes were that of running between the wickets, wrong batting order, wrong bowlers bowling at the wrong times. These things can be rectified with the right thinking.
I was in a foul mood Yesterday so apologies, I bet England to win at 3.25, but for small stakes and was fuming with myself for not putting more money on. :laugh:

I think we agree on some things.

Anwar Ali is not good enough sadly. His batting and fielding while handy do not compensate for his sub standard bowling especially at the death. I still have nightmares about him in NZ:ph34r:

Shezhad is doomed once Afridi goes, that is the only reason he is in the t20 side. I don't detest him in the test side, but not a good enough limited overs batsman.

I think Irfan is not that good though, horror at death and runs out of steam to quickly, injury prone, horror bat and fielder.

Tanvir?

A farcical cricketer. His bowling domestically can be gun, but so often he has failed internationally. Some point to his batting to justify his spot. That is so dangerous. So often this guy has ruined a chase, dead end game with the result nearly established? He will smack a few boundaries. So ****ing what.

He also has been accused of halting Azam domestically, when he was captaining him, never giving him anything close to his full quota of overs. Yesterday when he came to the crease it symbolised so much what is wrong with Pakistan cricket. They had Anwar a savage hitter ready to go and Yamin a proper bat also ready. However some idiot decided the "experience" of Tanvir a tried and trusted failure in this scenario was the way to go instead of trusting the young guys.

Agree with Riaz and the young lads like Amir, Gohar and Wasim all beacons of hope.Junaid is finished sadly, given numerous opportunities and now a worthless trundler. He needs to be forgotten. I do agree that Sohail deserves a chance as he is gun at the death, and while not as optimistic as Rahat as he is a poor starter, I'd be more than willing to have a look at him in the next 12 or so months.

On the batting, the old guys still have it at least in Asia! Rizwan was an absolute bust this series and I was a fanboy before this, he looked so poor against spin. Babar has time of course before we make any definite calls.

Umar? Who knows, their is a good batsman in their, but I am not sure if he can be molded into one. If it was to happen, the person who was to do it deserves the freedom of Pakistan!

Maqsood is a worthless slogger though.:@

Last edited: