• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in India 2015

indiaholic

International Captain
Even if you definitively hate this kind of pitch for whatever reason, you have to admit it exposes the batsmen beautifully and you get to see just how much they trust their technique. Only Amla and Duminy really looked like they had a clue in the end and maybe du Plessis who looked like he learned a thing or two from his horrid faux pas.

The pitch just brutally exposed the issues already present with the SA batsmen, you can see how the rest were so bereft of confidence. Van Zyl and Vilas in particular are at different ends of the spectrum, one has no footwork and prods with heavenly hope and Vilas dances down like a man who is afraid of the ball hitting the pitch.

AB was similar surprisingly, he's such a genius yet during those two innings you could have mistaken him for Vilas with all the tangles he was getting in dancing back and forth.

Won't kick the dead horse over the pitch but it was interesting viewing.
Agreed with most of the above. AB was done in by some superb bowling though.. Set up beautifully and then the carom ball that he just did not pick.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So much fun seeing these factions among the Indian fans on CW :laugh::laugh:

First you've got Jono, OS, ***** and Shri always liking each other's posts and putting up one unified front,
then you've got Pratters vs HB :laugh:
Then Pratters vs Joe

And then you've got Weldone who seems to have pissed off all the other Indian fans for some reason :laugh:
Pratters gets all the good feuds :@ First with sledger and now with these two.

Shri

Mr. Glass
I wouldn't call it a feud. That implies a fight. This is just a case of one guy's opinions getting **** on over and over.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
I think Dravid is simultaneously right and wrong, ftr. You don't want all Ranji pitches to turn square from Day 1, but you do want some to. You don't want all Ranji pitches to be greentops, but it is helpful when some are. You don't want all Ranjipitches to be roads, but, again, some being roads are helpful.

You want the multiplicity of Test conditions replicated at FC level; no country does that and until they do, the inability of international teams to win away will likely continue (barring the advent of a ridiculous ATG level team)
Different types of pitches across the country in domestic competition is an excellent proposition.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
First you've got Jono, OS, ***** and Shri always liking each other's posts and putting up one unified front,:
Haha that's such an odd view because I feel like OS, ***** and I disagree with each other just as much as we agree. I reckon OS and I debate heaps. Its just that we post in all the same threads and have similar cricket interests.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Black_Warrior liking a tec post calling us ICF fans was the most offensive thing in the thread. I mean, I expect tec to post bs but a sensible poster liking it almost made me cry.

Last edited:

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Agreed with most of the above. AB was done in by some superb bowling though.. Set up beautifully and then the carom ball that he just did not pick.
I guess it was just disappointing in the way that you would expect a batsman of AB's gravitas the spot the old drag down, drag down and then slide one in tactic.

But yeah probably not giving Ashwin enough credit, played his harp to perfection.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Just read through this thread.

Holy ****. Peak CricketWeb WAHHH. Really embarrassing stuff.

yes
yessssss
yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssSSSSSSSSS
Just had to stop reading during the whole 'I joined in 2012 and you in 2011 but your countrymen were embarrassing on the interwebs during Sydney 2008 so fuuuuu I win this debate' for the sake of my sanity tbh.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Clarke's 100% right on the 'good cricket' bit IMO. The best cricket match is one where every single player, irrespective of their playing style, is involved in the game, able to test one another at every level. This game marginalised fast bowlers to a significant extent; it wasn't 'good cricket' in that sense. The WACA marginalised bowlers. English greentops marginalise spinners.

That best cricket match can never happen.

But watching batsmen being tested by high-class spin on a spin-friendly track? It may not meet that definition of 'good' cricket, but its ****ing enthralling viewing. Which, in itself, is ****ing awesome to have from time to time. It'd suck if it happened every single game across the world, but it doesn't. We have a multiplicity of Test conditions, and that's great. We shouldn't feel obliged to homogenise them to conform to some arbitrary standard of average-ness, with average help for seamers on Day 1, average help for batsmen on Day 2 and 3, and average help for spinners on Day 5. It'd make for overwhelmingly average Test cricket.

TBH it might just put an end to some pretty average posting here at CW... ;)

BTW ready to admit Vijay is modern Bradman yet? :p

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Why should such pitches be acceptable at test level even. Careers are on the line. Some one has two bad tests in this series and it can hamper their career.

indiaholic

International Captain
Why should such pitches be acceptable at test level even. Careers are on the line. Some one has two bad tests in this series and it can hamper their career.
To enable creative destruction. In a world of flat pitches, the batsmen become stale, skills stagnate and we are stuck in a world of zero growth. Having tough pitches like these incessantly revolutionize batting from within, destroy the old care free techniques and give rise to new and better Vijays.