• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in India 2015

Mahira

Banned
Vijay ji very successful in every country but nothing wrong to smashing six on loose ball in test matches,' cause next over one can make 2 runs only.yes he defends too, but he got best ball, well up, he should take some technical help from sunny

Why?

Out of last 10 innings Vijay ji LBW 6 times,@ lot for opener.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Damn I missed most of this due to work :(

Kohli needs to fix his driving-outside-off problem.

Nohit can **** off.

Saha was good, Ashwin was entertaining in his short stay.

Ishant bowled well with the new-ball

Ashwin getting van Zyl caught by Rahane at first slip was almost too predictable

Jaddu is beastly on this pitch; with bat and ball.

Good stuff allround. 215 is the highest score either side has made this series in 6 completed innings so far. Ridiculous. I'm loving it.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Vijay ji very successful in every country but nothing wrong to smashing six on loose ball in test matches,' cause next over one can make 2 runs only.yes he defends too, but he got best ball, well up, he should take some technical help from sunny

Why?

Out of last 10 innings Vijay ji LBW 6 times,@ lot for opener.
What say about Kohli ji's 5th stump ****ery?

StephenZA

We're really missing Steyn and Philander with the reverse that was on offer.
This is such a difficult one... Philander would probably have replaced Harmer, and Steyn, Rabada,,, both of whom bowled really well. The useless one was Tahir, who probably would have played anyway. Not saying they would not have made a difference just not quite as clear cut...

Marius

International Debutant
This is such a difficult one... Philander would probably have replaced Harmer, and Steyn, Rabada,,, both of whom bowled really well. The useless one was Tahir, who probably would have played anyway. Not saying they would not have made a difference just not quite as clear cut...
I'm a big Tahir fan, but I think we need to realise Test cricket is not for him.

Not sure who the next non-right-arm offie is in line though.

There is Leie, Maharaj, Phangiso, and Linde, I suppose. Phangiso isn't a Test bowler I don't think (although he's been bowling like a champ in the Ram Slam). Same with Leie. Not sure Maharaj is international quality, and Linde is probably still too young.

cnerd123

likes this
Tahir has been excellent at wiping the lower order out this series, and has bowled decently overall I feel. Don't get the h8 for him.

Marius

International Debutant
Tahir has been excellent at wiping the lower order out this series, and has bowled decently overall I feel. Don't get the h8 for him.
He bowled pretty well in the first Test, but nothing amazing, and hasn't bowled great in this Test so far. Didn't wipe out the tail in this innings either.

I like him, I just think he is too loose to be your leading spinner in a Test.

StephenZA

I'm a big Tahir fan, but I think we need to realise Test cricket is not for him.

Not sure who the next non-right-arm offie is in line though.

There is Leie, Maharaj, Phangiso, and Linde, I suppose. Phangiso isn't a Test bowler I don't think (although he's been bowling like a champ in the Ram Slam). Same with Leie. Not sure Maharaj is international quality, and Linde is probably still too young.
Unfortunately for SA none of the above are really good enough, (Leie maybe)... right now, outside sub-continent we have Duminy and Elgar to hold up an end, Harmer or Piedt if we really need the one spin option. Otherwise you are looking at Steyn, Morkel, Philander, Rabada as our first choice for the next, hopefully, 3 to 4 yrs. Tahir is in this team atm almost purely because we are in India.

Not so much hate as realism, he is just not good enough but we have nothing better and need the variety. He is just to inconsistent, I was worried about him, then he bowled well (without being amazing). I then think he should play and he bowls the dross he did today, then does alright again..... ultimately he gives away to many bad balls for the opportunities he creates. Outside the subcontinent he is not good enough to make the SA test team.

Honestly, on this wicket today (I know the ball reversed/swung) but how does Morkel perform so much better than what is meant to be a wicket taking spinner....

Gnske

At the risk of being obvious, I know the commentators were harping on about Kohli's stance, but I'd dare say his front foot being so legsidish is seriously arsing his balance and ability to play down the pitch to balls he's otherwise playing across at.

cnerd123

likes this
I think his stance and technique are fine. He's not nicking off in ODIs. It's definitely more of a mental problem. Its kind of like he's caught between defence and attack, and ends glued to the crease, prodding/driving at the ball half-heartedly with hard hands.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
1 fast bowler in a test lineup... great way to build a quality world class test team.

I never expected the Indians to under-prepare a pitch worse than Mohali...; the look of happiness on Kohli`s face said it all when he won the toss.

Not really that surprising considering the wicket... do you really think that Aaron was going to make any difference, going to open the bowling with Ashwin anyway.

Yes, I`m slightly bitter as I really hoped for a good series in India.... regardless of who wins this (India obviously most likely, after toss) but these are f*k wickets, not because they are spinning, but because there is nothing good about them for a good game of cricket.
I hope by some miracle SA can pull this one off just to send a middle finger out to Mr Shastri and BCCI

PS: Yes, this is my waahh for the match, I won't mention the pitch again during this test...
I understand the frustration but once the day progressed, even you should have realized that such a turner actually helps RSA, one with the reverse for guys like Morkel, and two by bringing the spinners' quality difference to the barest minimum between the two sides. Best chance for RSA to win a test here IMO. They just need one super effort with the bat and they have 2 of the best test batsmen around in Amla and ABD. Not beyond them at all.

If India had taken one more wicket, I would have felt they had the better of the day, but now going to call it even.

Nohit :laugh:

Damn this is the game Steyn should have played..just to troll him

Steyn could still end up with more runs than Nohit in this series in the same number of innings. :ph34r:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think his stance and technique are fine. He's not nicking off in ODIs. It's definitely more of a mental problem. Its kind of like he's caught between defence and attack, and ends glued to the crease, prodding/driving at the ball half-heartedly with hard hands.
disagree slightly. imo gavaskar rightly pointed out two things, firstly his shuffle across which brings him on middle and off stump, contributing to his tendency to play at balls that can be comfortably left alone. the second one is his wide stance, which is great for weight transfer onto the backfoot, but leaves him a bit vulnerable when driving.

of course if he gets into a state of mind where he can start leaving deliveries more and be a bit more patient on pitches that aren't roads this issue won't be much of a problem which is where I kinda agree with you.

hard hands and playing too far ahead and away from his body and head are pretty much the only things he would have to work on a whole lot to change.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
He thought he could attack the outswinger, which I'm sure he could. He just didn't see the inswinger coming. TBH the inswinger surprised me as well. I didn't know Morkel could reverse it both ways so well.
Still a terrible shot to a full swinging ball. Big expansive drives like that to the moving ball are always going to keep the cordon interested.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Still a terrible shot to a full swinging ball. Big expansive drives like that to the moving ball are always going to keep the cordon interested.
Well that's how he generally plays against full swinging balls:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1ZppQXLgX8

Sehwag's cuts keep the gully interested; but would you recommend Sehwag to stop playing his cuts in the air? I wouldn't.

There are specific run-scoring methods and areas of strength for every batsman. Rahane is our best batsman against pace bowlers - equally strong on frontfoot and backfoot. Today Morkel has reverse-swung the ball massively both ways like never before - so full marks to the bowler. He has really stepped up in Steyn's absence, though has also injured himself in the process.

Last edited: