• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in India 2015

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Good day for India but you never write off RSA in such situations. Really bad luck for them with the injuries but good to see that India have prepared a pitch that is the same across the 22 yards, unlike Mohali. Obv. I never thought it was a very bad wicket or anything but it was odd to see different areas of the pitch behaving differently. This one seems a lot more even across the surface. Think Steyn esp. would have loved this track and with the overhead conditions, I am sure Philander would have been a handful too. India has had amazing luck in this test so far.

With respect to their batsmen, I feel the signs are definitely worrying for RSA. Still feel Amla should bat 3 or maybe even open, because lets face it, if you have to convert a middle order batsman to an opener, I would rather push a guy who has been #3 in tests than a guy who has been #3 in FC (From what I recall). Feel AB should absolutely bat 4, irrespective of the number of batsmen in the side and Faf could do better in a Laxman type role at #5. Hopefully Quinton De Kock can fulfill all his promise in Test cricket too, otherwise I think RSA will be in for some tough times even one of their big 3 are out of form.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Now this shows that it's still a pretty good Day 1 pitch.

South Africa's vulnerable batting again costing them here. I think it might be a good idea to have Du Plessis at 5 and Amla and AB at 3 and 4. Not that Amla is in better form but given that he has runs in these conditions, that would be my pick.

I am not sure how long South Africa will remain number 1 if this batting unit does not develop. I don't see them winning in England or Australia with this kind of display.

I don't expect India to make the same mistakes this time. Vijay looked solid but Dhawan in full flow :wub:
There is this Yuvraj quality to him...it's like his lack of feet movement adds an element of lazy elegance when he connects those drives.

I expect a long day for South Africa tomorrow.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I was specifically referring to the fact that we haven't lost an away test series in 9 years... There was always some sort of fight or belief... Its definitely not there anymore...

I hope i am wrong though. The way our top order failed in the second innings of the first test was a low point.
That's true. If there's one striking quality about them since becoming number 1, it's their ability to fight back, often after a loss or a bad couple of sessions. Having said that though, this is a fairly new team. You have two inexperienced openers playing overseas against spin bowling of a quality they have never faced before, playing in conditions they have never played before.

Before in those fightbacks, you could count on Smith or Kallis to give a good start at the top. Now you are losing your first 2 wickets for literally nothing and your number 4 is out of form.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I was specifically referring to the fact that we haven't lost an away test series in 9 years... There was always some sort of fight or belief... Its definitely not there anymore...

I hope i am wrong though. The way our top order failed in the second innings of the first test was a low point.
Felt they showed it on day 3 of the last test with the ball. India looked like they were going to set them 300+

Obviously they batted like dumb ****s but I think this isn't lack of effort or belief. I think they're just being outplayed by a better team in these conditions.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Ya both Ashwin and Jadeja are in the forms of their lives. Ashwin hasn't had a not-so-good match ever since the start of the Australia series.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Felt they showed it on day 3 of the last test with the ball. India looked like they were going to set them 300+

Obviously they batted like dumb ****s but I think this isn't lack of effort or belief. I think they're just being outplayed by a better team in these conditions.
Yeah but I think his point is that SA were being outplayed like this plenty of times over the last 2 years, like when Clarke was pwning them in Australia or when they were outplayed comprehensively for 5 days and still somehow drew the match and won the series in SL last year. You don't get the feeling they have it in them this time for some reason. Steyn being out is a big factor since he always has it in him to produce that one godlike spell and win the match in an hour, but the rest look a little lost. Hope I'm wrong, since I want an awesome series.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah but I think his point is that SA were being outplayed like this plenty of times over the last 2 years, like when Clarke was pwning them in Australia or when they were outplayed comprehensively for 5 days and still somehow drew the match and won the series in SL last year. You don't get the feeling they have it in them this time for some reason. Steyn being out is a big factor since he always has it in him to produce that one godlike spell and win the match in an hour, but the rest look a little lost. Hope I'm wrong, since I want an awesome series.
Yeah I get ya, and you'd be a brave man to think they'd draw the series from here whereas you wouldn't say the same previously even when they've been in trouble. But they've been pretty injury hampered. They were poor today, but they were seriously in the game at the start of the 4th innings in the first test.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Have India stopped producing batting paradises now they don't have to be concerned with padding Tendulkar's record? :ph34r:

On a serious note, have the last 2 pitches been notably bowling friendly or has there been an element of South Africa being terrible?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Have India stopped producing batting paradises now they don't have to be concerned with padding Tendulkar's record? :ph34r:

On a serious note, have the last 2 pitches been notably bowling friendly or has there been an element of South Africa being terrible?
this pitch is not bowling friendly at all really. Its just a regular pitch.

First test was bowler friendly.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It was a big talking point on commentary a number of times. Graeme Smith brought it up first when AB was keeping without a cap or helmet in the first T20. Was so silly and funny when Manjrekar described it as "AB is one of those guys who has had one of those things that we cannot talk about"...

Shri

Mr. Glass
I might soon be needing one. Though a full shave once a week sounds better on my budget. Not going to be a model ever but the one thing that I got complemented about ever in my life regarding my looks was my hair in college. Vanity, fml.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Top pic legitimately looks like someone's photoshopped AB's face on to a picture of KP after he's just got out. Just needs to be running his hand through his hair for the full effect.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
Saw a few recent pictures of AB on twitter yesterday and really noticed it in the "he looks weird" way. I think he looks better once you get used to it though.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Ya both Ashwin and Jadeja are in the forms of their lives. Ashwin hasn't had a not-so-good match ever since the start of the Australia series.
Yes, taken from cricinfo. Ashwin has taken 4 or more in an innings in each of the 7 tests he has played this year. In total, 8 4-fers in 7 tests.