• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in India 2015

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think Harmer and Tahir did their job, aided by Elgar. You could not ask more from their spinners. England can make that argument with Adil Rashid, Patel and Moeen, but no SA.

They were let down by their batting. Amla failed miserably. As the captain and the most experienced batsman in the side, he has to take responsibility. Absolutely no excuse for his mode of dismissal in the second innings.
Agree completely, but I think the comment was more about how good Ashwin is than anything else.

the big bambino

International Captain
But heh, we know the rules online, green seamers on day 1 and its great for test cricket to see fast bowlers in their element and a proper test of batsmen, spins from day 1 in the SC and its a bad pitch, not good for test cricket and doctoring.
Look fair enough and you can produce the pitches you want and touring sides have to adjust to the conditions. That is the challenge of touring and why victories OS seem more prized. However I think those who prefer green seamers, while criticising pitches that turn square so early, are reflecting an opinion on ideal pitch preparation. Ideally pitches are meant to seam on day one and turn large on days 4 and 5. That is why a country which is strong in spin will be accused of doctoring more so than a country like England will be for preparing pitches that favour their seamers. Because traditionally it is more suss to see a pitch turn square on day one than it is to have it seam about.

indiaholic

International Captain
For me umesh and Aaron go out for the next test, Ishant and Rohit come in. Still don't see why we are using the five bowler strategy in India.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yep. Said it before. If we're going to produce pitches that turn from day 1 its completely stupid to play 5 bowlers. Rohit should come in. The two pacers were virtually passengers.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Good day of cricket.

Wonder how much Steyn being hurt helped - a target of 150 instead of 200 would have been pretty intense.

Gob

International Coach
good to see India producing these sort of wickets instead of highways. Game might end quickly but the entertainment is great

Niall

International Coach
Averages 17 with the ball at home and 46 away

Plus he ****s himself with the bat when the ball bounces above knee height

Complete fraud IMO
I dunno man.

In the SC you got to have him in the team, overseas its a different story. However as India will be playing quite a few tests in the SC after a long time abroad, he deserves to be in the side.

Looking at all the test sides if they were to tour India, they would all take him.

England were desperate for a guy who could tie someone down in the UAE, Pakistan with Malik retired and Hafeez banned would also consider him at least until Gohar is ready to go.

Australia? In this part of the world he offers more than Marsh or Henriques. South Africa would take him ahead of Harmer, and to be fair he'd be the West Indies 2nd best batsman.:laugh:

Obviously that does not say much about those sides, but he has a purpose in the SC.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Averages 17 with the ball at home and 46 away

Plus he ****s himself with the bat when the ball bounces above knee height

Complete fraud IMO
How is he a fraud? He wins the team matches at home. That makes him a matchwinner.

Averaging 17 at home is a ****ing good record by the way. You kind of want to win matches at home too ya know. No one is saying he's an ATG cricketer.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Also its more understandable to me to **** yourself when a hard cricket ball bounces high at your body at pace, compared to ****ting yourself when people gently lob up a ball at 80km/h.

Burner

International Regular
Yeah, why is his away record even brought it account? The selection should be based on who can win you the next match.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Look fair enough and you can produce the pitches you want and touring sides have to adjust to the conditions. That is the challenge of touring and why victories OS seem more prized. However I think those who prefer green seamers, while criticising pitches that turn square so early, are reflecting an opinion on ideal pitch preparation. Ideally pitches are meant to seam on day one and turn large on days 4 and 5. That is why a country which is strong in spin will be accused of doctoring more so than a country like England will be for preparing pitches that favour their seamers. Because traditionally it is more suss to see a pitch turn square on day one than it is to have it seam about.
Well then, looks like tradition needs to go and get ****ed.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I so wish we'd stop with the "seam day 1, bat day 2,3 and spin thereafter = perfect pitch" thought. I reject the idea that all pitches should follow the same preconceived pattern. As long as it's not completely unplayable and the result of the match isn't too dependant on the toss it's fair game.

And look, I agree that total square turners and ridiculous unplayable greentops shouldn't be common as the element of good fortune becomes larger in pitches like those. But this pitch wasn't one of those anyway. Vijay and Pujara and AB and Amla (1st innings) showed that good batting gets runs.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
If you prepare a wicket that seams day 1 in the subcontinent it just burns out to become a complete road days 2,3,4 and 5.