• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in India 2015

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Grinding on such a pitch hardly every works. Furball made a good point after day 1. It's a pitch where one should go on the counter attack when one can to get the field and bowling team on the defensive. Rahane grinded for 48 balls in the first inning to get 15. There has to be counter attack here, at least to some degree for most players.
It won't work if it;s just one guy doing it and wickets are falling at the other end. Of course you will get out then.

But if anyone was able to offer some support to Vijay or Pujara it would have worked. Kohli got himself out. He was offering valuable support to Pujara and SA were almost out of the game.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
@ Daemon: Vijay counted attacked a lot dude. He defended a lot with soft hands but where he could he pushed at balls more than he usually does to make runs. Pujara has 6 fours. He had a similar strategy I would say. Those two have been most successful so far for India. AB has been most successful for SA who also was quite aggressive.
They weren't aggressive, they played each ball on it's merit, which is what you should do on wickets like this. Don't get into a shell, but don't go playing dumb as **** expansive drives either. Once you're middling everything then it's fine to turn it up a bit like Pujara and Vijay yesterday but... and I feel dirty for saying this.. you got to earn the right to be aggressive.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
They weren't aggressive, they played each ball on it's merit, which is what you should do on wickets like this. Don't get into a shell, but don't go playing dumb as **** expansive drives either. Once you're middling everything then it's fine to turn it up a bit like Pujara and Vijay yesterday but... and I feel dirty for saying this.. you got to earn the right to be aggressive.

Exactly and AB can be as aggressive as he wants on any track in the world. It wont work out so well for the other human batsmen if they try the same thing on such tracks.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
It won't work if it;s just one guy doing it and wickets are falling at the other end. Of course you will get out then.

But if anyone was able to offer some support to Vijay or Pujara it would have worked. Kohli got himself out. He was offering valuable support to Pujara and SA were almost out of the game.
Rahane grinded for 48 balls and got 15 or so before getting out. Van Zyl was the same. 23 or so balls for 5. Only Dean Elgar was mildly successful with this approach and he made 37. It's not like people didn't try it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
India were $1.18 at the start of play. Currently $1.66 so still big favourites with the bookies and punters.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I agree with this. One cannot be aggressive blindly. Still, no one can truly be called 'settled' on this wicket. Amla got just 43. It's a terrible excuse for a test wicket.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
RSA favorites for me now. As Manjrekar said, it is one thing for spinners to attack with 300 runs to play with, quite another when it is just 200 that is being chased and the opposition middle order reads Faf, Hash and AB.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
1.66 is a great one Jono. India will win I think. They are playing a batsman less. AB had an inning of 63 or so off 80 balls. That kind of inning is unlikely two times in a row, even for a freak like AB. Without that we have a huge chance of the win.

QED.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rahane grinded for 48 balls and got 15 or so before getting out. Van Zyl was the same. 23 or so balls for 5. Only Dean Elgar was mildly successful with this approach and he made 37. It's not like people didn't try it.
Yeah but because he grinded it out, Vijay on the other end got some runs as well and the partnership was worth nearly 40, which is quite a substantial one in the context of this game.