• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in India 2015

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mishra missing zip in his bowling. Not bending his back enough either. This is such a Kumble pitch.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
It's a regional variation. They might be as unaware of how to pronounce as any of the non Indian commentators. Plus there are others like Harsha Bhogle who speak better English than Hindi. It's only a subtle variation, not anything major.

For example the way Manjrekar says Virat, he says the 't' a bit differently, the way it is meant to be said in Hindi because it's a word in Hindi.
Yea Manjrekar speaks as tho he is reading the names with their spellings in Hindi alphabets, instead of the anglicised version spoken with an Indian accent.
Oh yes, I have definitely noticed this. It's sorta like the breathiness or lack thereof in those consonants, right? My ex gf used to tease me when I'd try to say Indian words like 'paneer' - where the p isn't aspirated. And 'Dhoni'.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
also where we might say 'Jadu' you guys say 'Jaddu'. I can hear the difference, it's just very hard to say without exaggerating it.

indiaholic

International Captain
Oh yes, I have definitely noticed this. It's sorta like the breathiness or lack thereof in those consonants, right? My ex gf used to tease me when I'd try to say Indian words like 'paneer' - where the p isn't aspirated. And 'Dhoni'.
He is the only guy who pronounces Tendulkar's name correctly. On the T and D, the tongue is supposed to be flat on the palate. Everybody else just hits the palate with the tip of their tongue on both of them.

A better description would be that the tongue touches the back of your teeth on both letters.

Last edited: