• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in India 2015

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Really tossing them up today so far which has surprised me, tbf.
Was thinking of your description of Elgar every time he took a wicket. Exploited the turn on the wicket by tossing it up and bowling it a bit slower. This wicket has so much turn when one gets it right. Case in point: that ball from Mishra which went past Amla.

Chrish

International Debutant
Countries should be able to produce wickets that favor their strengths. That's what makes test cricket so interesting and away perfomence so valuable.

I don't see Asian players complaining in the past about occasional green top they came across in Eng or SA.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
It's not the the ball misbehaving that's doing the batsmen in, it's the knowledge that any given ball could suddenly spit off the pitch that's causing all this tentativeness and soft-looking dismissals.

Excellent pitch IMO.
Gavaskar made a top point of playing with soft hands on this pitch. Vijay did this most of the inning.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I agree with Elgar that the wicket isn't exactly good. Any test wicket which leads to three day finishes isn't terrific by any means. This is the kind of wicket where no one can settle and score runs, particularly as it keeps deteriorating. In the second innings, batsmen face the conundrum of keep defending before they get out our keep attacking and make some runs. Not that it doesn't make for an exciting game.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I agree with Elgar that the wicket isn't exactly good. Any test wicket which leads to three day finishes isn't terrific by any means. This is the kind of wicket where no one can settle and score runs, particularly as it keeps deteriorating. In the second innings, batsmen face the conundrum of keep defending before they get out our keep attacking and make some runs. Not that it doesn't make for an exciting game.
On a difficult wicket, whether that's a bunsen in India or a greentop in England, attack is the best mode of defence. If you just try and defend you'll get one with your name on it anyway that takes your edge. Blast a few and put the bowler off his length and get some of the close in fielders to move, then you at least give yourself a fighting chance.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Do the other Indian commentators not pronounce them correctly? Why not? Is it regional variation or do they just think that on an English commentary channel everything should be anglicised? If it's the former I could understand perhaps, but it'd be pretty annoying if it's the latter.
It's a regional variation. They might be as unaware of how to pronounce as any of the non Indian commentators. Plus there are others like Harsha Bhogle who speak better English than Hindi. It's only a subtle variation, not anything major.

For example the way Manjrekar says Virat, he says the 't' a bit differently, the way it is meant to be said in Hindi because it's a word in Hindi.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Yea Manjrekar speaks as tho he is reading the names with their spellings in Hindi alphabets, instead of the anglicised version spoken with an Indian accent.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Vijay batted really well. Left balls and played with soft hands when defending. However, when he didn't do that, he attacked and pushed a lot at the deliveries. Meant that he made runs as he maximised the opportunities to do so.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Vijay batted really well. Left balls and played with soft hands when defending. However, when he didn't do that, he attacked and pushed a lot at the deliveries. Meant that he made runs as he maximised the opportunities to do so.
This guy has grown so much as a test opener. A delight to watch now.

longranger

U19 Cricketer
Vijay is a beast. I wish he gives up playing the IPL and spends summer playing county cricket. He can be a mainstay in the Indian team for years to come.

Burner

International Regular
Why does it say 'Last Delivery' after every delivery but the bowler keeps on bowling? They only get it right one time out of six. :goof:

cnerd123

likes this
Would have started with Ashwin tbh. Mishy didn't do badly, but Ashwin is God-mode here.

I don't mind pace at one end either tbf. Good contrast to the spin, and batsmen are always a bit slow to get the feet moving at the start of a new day.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Definitely would've started with Ashwin. A big problem when you put up a low total is that you constantly need wickets to stay in the game. Can't allow even one big partnrshippartnership.