• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kagiso Rabada

Kagiso Rabada to take 300 test wickets

• Total voters

Marius

International Debutant
So long as he is not walking in the ways of Zondeki...
How do you mean?

Zondeki is nowhere close to Rabada's class. Zondeki was an OK bowler but nobody seriously thought he was going to be the next Ntini.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Would love to see Rabada-Hendricks-De Lange long-term.
Don't rate Hendricks based on what I've seen of him in international cricket TBF. Getting Parnell back to the level he was showing during the 2014 series vs AUS might be preferable if SA wants/needs a left-armer.

IMO Hardus Viljeon based on what I've seen of him in the now abandoned champs league and some A-team matches should be right up there.

Obviously have not seen others names mentioned by seam-up, but I do remember Corne Dry well from the 2012 U-19 world cup, with him being on same team with De Kock and young batting T De Bruyn. So he could be one to watch.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
How do you mean?

Zondeki is nowhere close to Rabada's class. Zondeki was an OK bowler but nobody seriously thought he was going to be the next Ntini.
Zondeki like so many players since 1998 just came across to me as a forced quota selection.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Although I can't lose in this poll, I'm going to stick my neck out and say no.

The main reason I'm saying so is that I don't believe South Africa will play enough Tests for him to reach 300 unless he's a Steyn-esque freak.

2nd reason is injuries. With the exception of Dale Steyn, pretty much every other quick bowler of note has had at least one serious injury. James Anderson missed the 2006 season with stress fractures of the back, Pattinson and Cummings have been perenially injured for the last 2 years, Siddle had stress fractures, Broad's had numerous injury problems, Boult's just back from a stress fracture, Harris has no knees etc etc. A serious injury is almost guaranteed for a fast bowler and what isn't guaranteed is how he'll recover from it. He could carry on as if nothing's happened, or it could ruin his effectiveness.

Niall

International Coach
Don't rate Hendricks based on what I've seen of him in international cricket TBF. G.
I'd go further than that, not been impressed whenever I seen him in t20 leagues where he should be laying the smackdown down more often than not if supposedly so good.

The most hopeful thing I can say about him he has youth on his side. That's it really.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!

The main reason I'm saying so is that I don't believe South Africa will play enough Tests for him to reach 300 unless he's a Steyn-esque freak.

2nd reason is injuries. With the exception of Dale Steyn, pretty much every other quick bowler of note has had at least one serious injury. James Anderson missed the 2006 season with stress fractures of the back, Pattinson and Cummings have been perenially injured for the last 2 years, Siddle had stress fractures, Broad's had numerous injury problems, Boult's just back from a stress fracture, Harris has no knees etc etc. A serious injury is almost guaranteed for a fast bowler and what isn't guaranteed is how he'll recover from it. He could carry on as if nothing's happened, or it could ruin his effectiveness.
Yep, all about being able to stay on the park once you're good enough. Steyn, Morkel, Ishant, Broad, Anderson, Johnson have all got there or are well on their way because they've been generally able to play years and years of Test cricket. Coming back from injury is also another hurdle, Broad he's been able to come back well from injuries while others who burst onto the scene like Tremlett and Junaid haven't been as lucky.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
The injuries point regarding Rabada is fine, but I don't see why SA won't play enough test to enable him to reach 300 wickets if he does stay fit long enough and avoid injuries.

S Africa have a pretty good FTP deal in the 2014-2019 deal for matches especially against the Big 3.

MrPrez

International Debutant
I dream of Rabada/Dry becoming the next Ambrose/Walsh, or Waqar/Wasim.

It probably won't happen - at least not to that extent - but we really are quite loaded in the pace-bowling prospect department.

MrPrez

International Debutant
I can think of a handful at most to be honest, and as many terrible white players picked in the same timeframe.
Yeah, Zondeki was one of a longish list of pace-bowling options we tried during those times. No worse an option than guys like Nantie or Alan Dawson, imo.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

Still saying no for much the same reasons. Hope I'm wrong though, he was seriously impressive this series.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah, Zondeki was one of a longish list of pace-bowling options we tried during those times. No worse an option than guys like Nantie or Alan Dawson, imo.
I definitely think Nantie had more potential, even just because of his pace. I actually cant even remember Dawson, maybe for the best.

SeamUp

International Coach
I definitely think Nantie had more potential, even just because of his pace. I actually cant even remember Dawson, maybe for the best.
Highly skilled away swing bowler. More for limited overs cricket and was certainly a cult hero domestically. Part of the 99 WC squad. Bob Woolmer was a big fan.

Alan Dawson: A man for the ages

2006-11-21 09:57

Archie Henderson

Those of us hacks who are required to report coldly factual and dispassionately on sport are not meant to quiver with teary-eyed emotion about the outcome of a mere cricket match.

But on Friday night even a hardened old observer like Robin Jackman admitted to brushing away a tear when Alan Dawson bade farewell to Newlands and the team - in its various guises from Province to Cobras - that he had served for more than a decade.

Even watching from a thousand miles away, it was difficult not to be caught up in the sense of occasion and the vibrancy of the fans in a packed Newlands cheering the little man who had so often performed so heroically for their team.

The victory of the Cobras over the Warriors in the MTN domestic championship competition - after finishing stone last in the previous season - was a fitting farewell for the 36-year-old Dawson, who had helped set up the victory with some splendid bowling at the start of the Warriors' innings, and again at the death.

It was hard not to be slightly lachrymose, like Jackman, as Dawson led the team in a lap of honour and then paused to embrace his family sitting on the boundary somewhere among the Newlands masses.

Now that he has left the scene, it is not inappropriate to admit that Dawson was my favourite cricketer - a man who loved the game and who played it with great passion whether batting at the top order or the bottom, bowling with a bright, shiny, swinging new ball or making an old one magically reverse swing to the bewilderment of an opposing batsman.

And in an era where hubris is common even among the most mediocre of sports "stars", Dawson was always modest, down to earth, approachable, polite, without grudge, helpful and encouraging to young newcomers in the team.

He is also a player who has realised his dream. From living within two good boundary throws of Newlands, he formed a friendship with Paul 'Porky' Kirsten, youngest of the illustrious Kirsten brothers with whom he played imaginary Test matches at the famous ground.

Together they sold programmes, peanuts and played in the nets where Porky's father Noel was groundsman at the time.

After school at SACS, Dawson was talent-spotted by that perceptive cricketer Greg Bing, a former Western Province selector, stalwart of the Claremont club and scion of the Bing dynasty. He thrust Dawson into opening the batting for the club, which led to him joining another Kirsten, Gary, as an opening batsman for Province.

The short version is that, through usual dead-ends and pitfalls of a cricketing career, Dawson played some Test cricket, a lot more ODI games for South Africa and has emerged as one of the truly loved figures of our game.

No wonder, Warriors captain Zander de Bruyn hid his disappointment of losing a closely fought encounter on Friday night to pay a gracious tribute to a man who will endure as a fine example to other young cricketers who are still batting in their backyards, or in their driveways, or in some dusty street and dreaming of a future in on the big stage.

SeamUp

International Coach
I dream of Rabada/Dry becoming the next Ambrose/Walsh, or Waqar/Wasim.

It probably won't happen - at least not to that extent - but we really are quite loaded in the pace-bowling prospect department.
Something that has always bugged me about Dry's action is the lack of using his left-arm and drive through the crease because of it. Think that is the reason why he hasn't got quicker and people thought he would. He does have Allan Donald work with now.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Perhaps. I've always placed Nantie into the 'was never particularly likely to fulfil his potential' group. Between injury threats and scattergun tendencies, I pretty much thought of him as high risk as a long-term investment.

Those were me stretching off the top of my head, though. Better examples would have been Dewald Pretorious, Charl Willoughby and Friedel De Wet.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Something that has always bugged me about Dry's action is the lack of using his left-arm and drive through the crease because of it. Think that is the reason why he hasn't got quicker and people thought he would. He does have Allan Donald work with now.
Don't think I've actually ever seen him bowl, tbh. More going off of the hype that has surrounded him for years.

Sacricketfan

Cricket Spectator
Don't think I've actually ever seen him bowl, tbh. More going off of the hype that has surrounded him for years.
From what I have seen of Dry, he consistently swings it away from the right handers, sticks to good line and length between 130 to 139 kms per hour. But like SeamUp pointed out, he can get faster. My dream is to see a combination of Rabada, Dupavillion and Dry replace Steyn, Morkel and Philander say 4/5 years down the line. Savage could also be in the mix as an all rounder.