• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in Zimbabwe and South Africa 2015

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Might as well keep Sodhi, I thought he showed a lot of promise if you ignore the first ODI. Would probably much rather select him than Nathan McCullum at this stage.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Worker and Munro are really pretty schluppy candidates to settle for as your prospective No. 4 though, if they weren't prepared to have 16 players on tour purely on the expense of it. I'm surprised they didn't replace Taylor properly tbh.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Worker and Munro are really pretty schluppy candidates to settle for as your prospective No. 4 though, if they weren't prepared to have 16 players on tour purely on the expense of it. I'm surprised they didn't replace Taylor properly tbh.
Yeah we're going to get smashed, realistically. I can't believe I got $79 on the Proteas at $1.64 for the first ODI.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agree SA are rightfully favourites, but you only need one important toss win to get that back to even on the right sort of wicket. A reason why I'm always more wary about betting on ODI/T20 cricket than say Test rugby in that respect.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah we're going to get smashed, realistically. I can't believe I got $79 on the Proteas at $1.64 for the first ODI.
Our only chance is if the bloke whose average you're watching gets 150 at better than a run a ball. No big shots in the 90s Kane - just push the singles!

Flem274*

123/5
we were no chance in SA after that test series over there either and with a squad containing many newbies we won the series.

Marius

International Debutant
Going to the game on Sunday.

Let's hope it's a decent match - both teams are probably going to experiment with combinations and so on.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
We could win with a school 3rd XI because no one, not even the SA team is going to give a crap about this meaningless series.

Really though, Watling should've been called up after the Taylor injury.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
You can't realistically expect us to take ODI series' seriously when you lose your #4, don't bother to replace him in the squad and promote someone who's completely unsuited to the role. I didn't like the Mathieson selection either in England. If ODI series' are so lucrative as we believe them to be, put someone's arse on a plane. And make it BJ. You would in a Test match so either do it for every match (bar T20s which shouldn't be played internationally) or understand that playing international sport with a compromised side is a nonsense.

I can't see how Manu moving to 4 is better than Elliott doing so in the scheme of things, especially how the latter batted at the World Cup. One is much more suited than the other, and so be it if it creates a log-jam of hitters at 5,6 and 7. Let Manu do his thing and let Grunt do the job that he's better suited to.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I think you're overestimating how much NZC can be bothered spending on plane flights for someone to play 3 ODI games. If there were Tests, maybe. 5 ODIs? Maybe. But not 3

I think for the SA games Elliot may just bat at 4 instead of 5.

I do not think that a log jam of hitters at 5, 6 and 7 is a problem in Munro, Neesham and Ronchi.

I think we all want Ronchi to start making decent scores again, though. I have concerns about Neesham with the ball in ODI cricket.

I like Munro being given a chance on the tour. If there is room to trail Latham for pyjama cricket, there is room to trial Munro.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I think you're overestimating how much NZC can be bothered spending on plane flights for someone to play 3 ODI games. If there were Tests, maybe. 5 ODIs? Maybe. But not 3
No, I know they can't be bothered. But this is a 3-match series against a side one below us in the rankings, if we're at all interested in being billed as one of the big guns then we should turn up with our best side. Otherwise don't expect anyone to watch it or give a tinker's. If it was Zimbabwe, then I understand. It also shows they picked an unbalanced squad if they expect Manu to bat at 4. They had 17 in it, should be able to squeeze in someone to bat there without having to compromise a guy's game.

If Elliott bats 4, no issues given he's probably the next best equipped to bat there.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Sky TV again battling to secure Black Caps coverage rights for South Africa tour | Stuff.co.nz

The Black Caps tour of South Africa may not be screened in New Zealand with Sky Television in last minute-negotiations with rights holders to show the five matches.

It is the second time in a month Sky has had issues securing rights for Black Caps matches after a late change of agent for the Zimbabwe tour meant coverage was confirmed just the day before the first match.

This time round it is understood the high price of rights for the tour are in the way of an agreement being reached between the parties.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
A lot of people find CSA's opinion of the worth of their own cricket to be a bit steep, from what I've heard. Sommet Sports told me the same, before they went out of business.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
No, I know they can't be bothered. But this is a 3-match series against a side one below us in the rankings, if we're at all interested in being billed as one of the big guns then we should turn up with our best side. Otherwise don't expect anyone to watch it or give a tinker's. If it was Zimbabwe, then I understand. It also shows they picked an unbalanced squad if they expect Manu to bat at 4. They had 17 in it, should be able to squeeze in someone to bat there without having to compromise a guy's game.

If Elliott bats 4, no issues given he's probably the next best equipped to bat there.
I don't think anyone cares that much, though, do they? Not even South Africa really. This series hasn't been hyped up whatsoever and seems like a perfect opportunity for both countries to find out what their reserves are made of whilst on the way to bigger challenges (India for RSA, Aus for us).

If it were in a year or two, maybe, but so soon after the World Cup it feels kinda meaningless. Like we've just had the biggest ODI showcase and now, even with two top ranked teams, it feels like such a non-event.