• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 1st Test at the SWALEC Stadium

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ali bowls a lot of **** with some good deliveries in between

Could turn out to be a fair bowler with more experience
He does, at least the wickets he does get are usually from good ones and not rubbish ones caught in the deep that were miss hit. We just have to accept he will bowl more bad balls than our previous offie used to.

Riggins

International Captain
Would you prefer margins to be decided and perhaps certain ones are benefit of the doubt to the batsman?
I'm sure we've all been through this before, but yeah, pretty much. I don't even care who gets the benefit of the doubt though. I just want the same situation to be treated the same way all the time.

morgieb

Ali bowls a lot of **** with some good deliveries in between

Could turn out to be a fair bowler with more experience
Yeah this is where I stand. Realistically shouldn't be honing his bowling in Test cricket as he was mainly a batsman before about 2012, but he does have ability.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
I'm sure we've all been through this before, but yeah, pretty much. I don't even care who gets the benefit of the doubt though. I just want the same situation to be treated the same way all the time.
but it is, the benefit of the doubt goes to the umpires original decision. That's as consistent as you can get without giving an arbritrary advantage to one discipline.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
On his better days it's the other way round IMO, but yeah can only see him getting better
People need to remember that he was just a reasonable 2nd division batsman who bowled a bit

Gets good work on it

Cant see Oz getting close as bowling is good and pitch not great

Smith, as usual, looks to be batting on a different track to everyone else

flibbertyjibber

Moeen has got a lot of stick this year, some of it deserved and some of it a little harsh (he was rushed back too quickly in WI after injury for a start) but he is probably our best bet as a spinner and we have seen in this game that as a number 8 he is probably the best one in the world with the bat so that adds to the package with him. Obviously we don't know what Rashid would do until he is given a chance but i'd not really want him making his debut in an ashes unless it was to be as a 2nd spinner on a real dry bunsen burner if we needed a 5th test win to win the series and I don't see that happening.

social

but it is, the benefit of the doubt goes to the umpires original decision. That's as consistent as you can get without giving an arbritrary advantage to one discipline.
Not that I am a fan of Watto but he was ridiculously stiff compared to 2 * Lyth and none will be regarded as an umpiring error

social

Moeen has got a lot of stick this year, some of it deserved and some of it a little harsh (he was rushed back too quickly in WI after injury for a start) but he is probably our best bet as a spinner and we have seen in this game that as a number 8 he is probably the best one in the world with the bat so that adds to the package with him. Obviously we don't know what Rashid would do until he is given a chance but i'd not really want him making his debut in an ashes unless it was to be as a 2nd spinner on a real dry bunsen burner if we needed a 5th test win to win the series and I don't see that happening.
Moeen's fine whilst you have Root to pick up the slack when he gets tap

Can see him routinely going for 5 an over and picking up a few poles which is all you need

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Not that I am a fan of Watto but he was ridiculously stiff compared to 2 * Lyth and none will be regarded as an umpiring error
I don't agree with the current exact margins which they work with so I don't disagree, but I agree with the notion of placing weight on the umpires original call. It's the only fair way imo.

Son Of Coco

This is a great PowerPoint presentation Steve Smith is giving on 9 about his evolution as a test cricketer. The main points that are flashing up on the screen aren't too wordy and he elaborates on them beautifully. 9.25/10.

Riggins

International Captain
Yeah that's exactly what I want - give the arbitrary benefit of doubt to one discipline. I don't care which discipline as long as the rules are consistent. As it stands we can have a Test match or Test series decided based on two identical situations resulting in opposite outcomes for completely subjective and essentially random reasons

Grumpy is right.
Yup.

Expect it to be continued after lunch and more noticeable throughout the summer. Stokes only seemed to remember what he was meant to do in his last two or three deliveries. Might be best to leave it to Wood and Broad. Short legs, leg slips and silly mid ons. Not even subtle. Just need the bowlers to execute.

He looks a million dollars when the ball is out side off, even when he pulls it to the leg side from outside off.

Last edited:

grecian

Bit of a golden arm our Moeen
Just don't understand that comment Fred, when Social is giving a more measured view of an England player then you, you should be worried.

Bowls bad balls, but get's serios revs so he's always going to take wickets, it's just how many he'll get slaughtered for.

Oh and well done Cook for putting him on last over before lunch, because even I'll admit the last over he bowled was diabolical.