• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 1st Test at the SWALEC Stadium

Riggins

International Captain
Davey Warner 212*
If he's not out he'll make way more than half the runs.

I think we've got a much better chance of chasing them down than a typical 4th innings 400 situation, but still it's a longshot and England are massive favourites. What we obviously have zero chance of doing is batting out a draw if we run into trouble early, so at least one (probably two) solid tons in the top 3 will be crucial to even getting close.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Getting bowled out could do us some favours.
Could also stuff you

England seemed to forget that there are 2 days left and Oz simply have to show some discipline and bat for a day and a bit

Obviously wont be easy but ....

Furball

Evil Scotsman
What happened here?
Stokes has this thing where he likes to sweep round his crease with the bat once he marks his guard, so Warner would run in to chat to Lyon who was tying his laces and taking ages over it to make Stokes wait ages to do his thing.

Bit dickish but not really worth crying over.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
If he's not out he'll make way more than half the runs.

I think we've got a much better chance of chasing them down than a typical 4th innings 400 situation, but still it's a longshot and England are massive favourites. What we obviously have zero chance of doing is batting out a draw if we run into trouble early, so at least one (probably two) solid tons in the top 3 will be crucial to even getting close.
Draw won't happen barring rain. If Australia bat the time then they win.

social

Why are there calls for Ballance's head after he did better than many dared hope for by gutsing out a knock in the first innings?

It's not like he's facing his Great Satan Trent Boult for five tests in a row.
If I were an English selector, I'd be seriously tempted to drop him as I really cant see any way that he will consistently score runs with his technique

He is early-career Phil Hughes without the attacking shots IMO

Howsie

International Captain
If you think there is a better English test No.3 than Ballance, please enlighten us as to whom that might be. Or are you suggesting England play with 10 players?
Strap a pad and a bat to a trash can and place it half a foot outside the crease.

Midwinter

State Captain
What a good game !

England scoring at 4 per over, Johnson struggling, Root going well.

All unexpected but making for an interesting game.

Howsie

International Captain
It's similar to Ravi Bopara back in 09. Had scored some runs against a piss poor team, came up against Australia and looked rubbish. Luckily England got rid of him when they did. Ballance needs to go, he isn't scoring runs against good bowling with that technique.

Edit: And please dig this up if he manages to do so, but I highly doubt it happens.

social

It's similar to Ravi Bopara back in 09. Had scored some runs against a piss poor team, came up against Australia and looked rubbish. Luckily England got rid of him when they did. Ballance needs to go, he isn't scoring runs against good bowling with that technique.

Edit: And please dig this up if he manages to do so, but I highly doubt it happens.
Tbf, the Kiwis exposed him

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Haddin is copping too much blame for his drop and Voges nowhere near enough for his dismissal IMO
Yeah, I get the same feeling too. I don't think Voges career is as secure as what some might think after his excellent debut against West Indies. A failure this innings in a loss and he is either playing for his career at Lords or dropped already. I would like to think the same applies to Watson too - I think I'm putting a bit too much faith in 5 Marsh 6 Marsh though..

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Furball 220
Adders 272
morgieb 319
harsh.ag 339
Social 414
Riggins 415

Last edited: